Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to re-install OS X - Optical drive broken

Options
  • 02-04-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

Im running mac os x Tiger on a macbook. I want to reinstall the OS again as its become a little slow and annoying over the last few months.

I inserted the disks that i received with the machine when I bought it yesterday and found that my Optical drive is knackered. I dropped it a while back - must have been that eh!

So now I need to install OS X without a the DVD drive. I've done a bit of searching but none of them look suitable to me. I dont have another mac to run the machine in target disk mode. im assuming one cant use a windows laptop as a target?

I've been quoted 400 euro by a company for a new drive - no thanks, id rather buy a new machine! The same company quoted me 120 euro to reinstall the OS with my disks - would probably cost me a few quid each way for the courier too as im in Waterford and they're in Dublin.

So my question: Does anyone know how I can get out of this sticky situation or is there anyone in the Waterford area who would like to this for me cheaper than the guys in Dublin?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hi,

Im running mac os x Tiger on a macbook. I want to reinstall the OS again as its become a little slow and annoying over the last few months.

I inserted the disks that i received with the machine when I bought it yesterday and found that my Optical drive is knackered. I dropped it a while back - must have been that eh!

So now I need to install OS X without a the DVD drive. I've done a bit of searching but none of them look suitable to me. I dont have another mac to run the machine in target disk mode. im assuming one cant use a windows laptop as a target?

I've been quoted 400 euro by a company for a new drive - no thanks, id rather buy a new machine! The same company quoted me 120 euro to reinstall the OS with my disks - would probably cost me a few quid each way for the courier too as im in Waterford and they're in Dublin.

So my question: Does anyone know how I can get out of this sticky situation or is there anyone in the Waterford area who would like to this for me cheaper than the guys in Dublin?

Cheers

Use an external DVD drive?

From what little i can see: some say you need an external firewire DVD drive to be able to boot an OSX disk?

Someone might be able to confirm if you can use a standard external USB drive: which if you can, you can pick one up on dabs.ie for under €40 ex shipping...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Legend_Killer

Hi uberpixie,

From what I know, that method wont work. To boot from an external drive the volume must already have OS X installed on it. Im guessing that means id have to have a second machine to get anywhere with this :-/

Thats unless I'm reading the following incorrectly:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1948?viewlocale=en_US

Please correct me if you think I'm wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Uberpixie is right, you need an external firewire dvd drive in order to reinstall the operating system, usb wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Install windows from USB and never have to make do with Mac ****eness again ;)

Advertisement