Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Destination Folder Access Denied" - admin/folder renaming problems

• 02-04-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm having some problems renaming, moving and deleting folders in Windows Vista. The folders were accessed in a Windows 7 installation I had, but that is no longer installed and I am now just running Vista, as an administrator.

When I go to rename a folder I get a "Destination Folder Access Denied" dialog windows saying "You need permission to perform this action". I hit Try Again, and nothing happens. I am also unable to paste files or folders into this folder. The strange thing is I am able to rename and delete the files that are in the folder already.

When I right-click on the folder and select "Properties", I see that the attributes options is selected with a solid blue mark. When I try to change this and hit Apply, I get a dialog message called "Confirm Attribute Changes" saying I have chosen to make the following attribute changes: "unset read-only".

I hit OK and a new message "Access Denied" telling me "you will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes". I hit Continue (i am the only user and am an administrator), but get another error "Error Applying Attributes" telling me Access is Denied.

It's in my photos folder and so is quite annoying as I have no way of adding any new folders or images to the folder. Anyone got any ideas? I have tried running a freeware program called Unlocker, but it didn't seem to do any good. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's from a different windows installation then the ACL on the folder might be pointing to users which don't exist in your installation.
    First thing is to take ownership of the folder and all subfolders and files. Then reset the ACL on the folder (and subfolders) so that it inherits the ACL from the parent folder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

seamus wrote: »
    If it's from a different windows installation then the ACL on the folder might be pointing to users which don't exist in your installation.
    First thing is to take ownership of the folder and all subfolders and files. Then reset the ACL on the folder (and subfolders) so that it inherits the ACL from the parent folder.

Thanks for the response Seamus. This is from a folder that I have used for images for the past 2 years, and only installed Windows 7 from February for a few weeks.

I have just taken your advice and looked into the "take ownership" side of things and was able to setup permissions on everything that way, so thank you very much. All files and folders are now copying and renaming perfectly.

Advertisement