Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC struggling to find (only) my ssid. but ipod & PS do

Options
  • 02-04-2009 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭

this is'nt a major issue right now as i got lucky last night, but i think if i try to change to WPA2 again it will lose my ssid and not find it until i connect via ethernet. even then the router STILL it won't find it. requires a reset.. i think.. still no. what i then do is pull out the DSL line n put back and switch off/on - sometimes it shows after this, not certain its because of it. yet still i was sat at the bottom of the stairs last night mucking about w/ this same pattern until after near 2hrs it found it by luck. siezed the opportunity to connect with the default WEP encryption, i don't know why it don't find this default ssid so long after resetting. every other router in my locale shows up in 'view wireless networks' on a regular basis. the PC is a Toshiba Satellite M30 from 5yr ago. but wtf it can't be that, all other people's routers show up. WPA2 eircom ones at that - same as mine. the router? my ipod & PS3 have no issues finding it.

- not a clue where the problem lies. help appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Found it difficult to read that, I've had issues with WPA2 so I always opt for WPA now when setting wifi routers for customers. Shouldn't stop You seeing the network, just connecting to it. BTW the DS will only do WEP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Check your Wifi adapters data rate setting and check or post the routers BasicRateSet(or similar).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Star Bingo wrote: »
    this is'nt a major issue right now as i got lucky last night, but i think if i try to change to WPA2 again it will lose my ssid and not find it until i connect via ethernet. even then the router STILL it won't find it. requires a reset.. i think.. still no. what i then do is pull out the DSL line n put back and switch off/on - sometimes it shows after this, not certain its because of it. yet still i was sat at the bottom of the stairs last night mucking about w/ this same pattern until after near 2hrs it found it by luck. siezed the opportunity to connect with the default WEP encryption, i don't know why it don't find this default ssid so long after resetting. every other router in my locale shows up in 'view wireless networks' on a regular basis. the PC is a Toshiba Satellite M30 from 5yr ago. but wtf it can't be that, all other people's routers show up. WPA2 eircom ones at that - same as mine. the router? my ipod & PS3 have no issues finding it.

- not a clue where the problem lies. help appreciated...

If you expect people to help you on here please have the courtesy to write in easily read sentences and paragraghs where appropriate. Punctuation and capitals make for easy reading. If you cannot be a**ed to bother to write coherently why should anyone bother to help you?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

it's an odd issue alright not seeing my ssid when other people's are there with my ipod & PS finding it with ease.. not an immediate PC receipt issue nor router transmission issue.. -dub45 sorry you in particular were gazoomped the post ok?! confusing issue as it is. did my utmost to describe - punctuation's ok cmon! Capitals after a fullstop have become a non-entity for me online for some reason.. required another paragraph maybe?

however fullstops r all there. or where i deem em fit u dotmucher :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

- some statistics from my line - Wireless stats, ATM stats & Connection Logs. router is a Netopia 2237-02 if you require any other info lemme know. cheers ;-

Wireless ID (SSID) eircom4120 4564
    Current Channel 10
    WEP Encryption Enabled
    In Good Frames 200730
    In Packets 200730
    In Unicast Frames 150088
    In Multicast Frames 25076
    In Discard Frames 0
    Out Good Frames 114578
    Out Packets 114578
    Out Unicast Frames 112941
    Out Multicast Frames 1621
    Out Discard Frames 0

In=Downstream Out=Upstream

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Star Bingo wrote: »
    it's an odd issue alright not seeing my ssid when other people's are there with my ipod & PS finding it with ease.. not an immediate PC receipt issue nor router transmission issue.. -dub45 sorry you in particular were gazoomped the post ok?! confusing issue as it is. did my utmost to describe - punctuation's ok cmon! Capitals after a fullstop have become a non-entity for me online for some reason.. required another paragraph maybe?

however fullstops r all there. or where i deem em fit u dotmucher :pac:

If everyone posted in their own unique version of English there would be chaos.

When you decide to post in the English that the rest of us share and display a modicum of courtesy towards your readers you are welcome back. In the meantime I have locked the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement