Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilton Castle Bree

Options
  • 02-04-2009 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I recently was driving around the Bree area and noticed that work was going on at the Castle. Does any one know what they are doing?? It looks like they have roofed some of it and out new windows in!!

Any one know anything? Would be fantastic if they restored it as its a beutiful building!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Wilton is not being restored but the current owner is revamping one end of the castle as apartments. I don't know if work is still underway with the property crash. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Anyone know anymore on this?

Hands off - if I stay in Ireland I'm having one the apartments. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southeastireland/3534904302/

O me too... I've always been faciniated with Wilton Castle.

So glad to see something is been done with it! Hopefully if they do go for sale they'll be at current recessionary times prices ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Sorry if it sounds like i'm gloating but i was lucky enough to carry out the full building survey for Wilton castle a few years back and drew up the plans for the interior. Hadn't anything to do with the job after that but was delighted to see how much work was actually carried out when i passed it recently. The opw should have pumped money into that place to restore it, but sure might as well be shouting at the wall

• Advertisement

http://planning.wexford.ie/application.php?q=20063062#

you'll find the survey drawings and planning drawings in there if ya wanna have a preview of the apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Nice drawings.
    I've always had an interest in Wilton Castle.

Thanks for that link very intresting!

Only 4 apartments thought! Will probably be well out of my budget anyway :(

the two bigger apartments have a really nice view out the back though. I wonder if he'll ever finish the other section, it would be pretty amazing to have a room at the top of the tower.

Are the apartments finished or on the market? I haven't seen them advertised anywhere.

• Advertisement

couldn't tell ya man, haven't heard anything myself either. I reckon he has a way to go yet though. he doesn't like people going in around the place for safety reasons so he would have to fully secure the rest of the ruin and surrounds first if that hasn't been done. Might look into it and get back to ya.

Advertisement