Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3-12 x 40

Options
  • 02-04-2009 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

A question lads? I want to know if a 3-12 x 40 scope is good enough on a 223 for lamping and the odd bit of target sooting to 250 yds? Any information given will be appreciated:) Or reccomendations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

kay 9 wrote: »
    A question lads? I want to know if a 3-12 x 40 scope is good enough on a 223 for lamping and the odd bit of target sooting to 250 yds? Any information given will be appreciated:) Or reccomendations.

it would depend on a few things

size of the reticle
    make
    quality

at 12 power the 40mm is not picking up a lot of light but it should not be a major problem. if your getting the scope at the right price go for it.
    if you were going to pay full whack i would go for a 50mm .
    in the us leopold make a lot of 40mm s as the light is good

what make is it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

jwshooter wrote: »
    it would depend on a few things

size of the reticle
    make
    quality

at 12 power the 40mm is not picking up a lot of light but it should not be a major problem. if your getting the scope at the right price go for it.
    if you were going to pay full whack i would go for a 50mm .
    in the us leopold make a lot of 40mm s as the light is good

what make is it

It's an Atlas Explorer? It holds on zero well but have seen a leupold with similar characteristics and there was no comparison in the glass. I already have the scope as it was all i could afford but really like the leupold;) I can make do with it for now but i find maybe more magnification would be no harm. The cross hairs are also very strong and this is the most thing I dont like about it:( What kind of money would a similar leupold set me back? Thanks a million for your prompt reply:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Kay 9
    I just picked up this for my 7mm08 from optics warehouse in the uk..http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=L451440vx111mp For 500 squibs im happy...Not as good as euro glass but most deer i shoot are at around 9-11 am..no need for me to pay 1300 aprox for a scope that can see in the dark(if you know what i mean)

im not filmalar with the altas so cant comment on them .

my advice to you for whats worth is work away with what you have .
    but ring about for a good S/H scope dont buy the first one that comes up.
    i would go for a zeiss conquest before a leupold .4-14x44 or the like would give you a brighter picture.

i just recently zeroed my mates 243 at midlands range..it has a s&b 3-12x50 on it with very thick cross hairs for deer hunting...The cross hairs were bigger than a 1inch bull at 200mtrs when set at 12x so all i did was put a 2inch sticker on the bull..that sorted it out..was able to just get the xhairs in the bull(just) at 200.

• Advertisement

I like that scope and wold be plenty good for my needs and price aint that bad:)

dwighet wrote: »
    i just recently zeroed my mates 243 at midlands range..it has a s&b 3-12x50 on it with very thick cross hairs for deer hunting...The cross hairs were bigger than a 1inch bull at 200mtrs when set at 12x so all i did was put a 2inch sticker on the bull..that sorted it out..was able to just get the xhairs in the bull(just) at 200.

Good idea Dwighet, I must try that this eve:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

In one word NO IMO. I'm using a Bushnell 6-24x50 and at 200m I find I need that extra bit of zoom. At the 300m mark I'm using all the 24 zoom and I find it still gives me a good view.

Put it like this I would rather be looking at the that extra bit of zoom than looking FOR IT especially when I need it. 250m is a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Does anyone know of the Docter range of scopes??.....They seem to have good reports on the net......not cheap though.

Good idea Dwighet, I must try that this eve:)

kay 9 lad selling a leupold in the buy n sell section

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    In one word NO IMO. I'm using a Bushnell 6-24x50 and at 200m I find I need that extra bit of zoom. At the 300m mark I'm using all the 24 zoom and I find it still gives me a good view.

Put it like this I would rather be looking at the that extra bit of zoom than looking FOR IT especially when I need it. 250m is a long way off.

I get your point and totally agree but I'm on a serious budget at the moment:( thanks a million for the info:)

jwshooter wrote: »
    kay 9 lad selling a leupold in the buy n sell section

Thanks for the heads up JW but I'm gonna have to wait a couple of months:( strapped for hunting accessory money at the moment. :(

I get your point and totally agree but I'm on a serious budget at the moment:( thanks a million for the info:)
    kay 9.
    if you want a decent budget scope for your 223....this will fit the bill...good zoom,tough out, and in your budget....I had a bushnell 6.5 -24 on my 223 and loved it..... I have a nightforce nxs on it now but only cause i got a cash injejection at the time...look here...http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=Bush320072140p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

dwighet wrote: »
    kay 9.
    if you want a decent budget scope for your 223....this will fit the bill...good zoom,tough out, and in your budget....I had a bushnell 6.5 -24 on my 223 and loved it..... I have a nightforce nxs on it now but only cause i got a cash injejection at the time...look here...http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=Bush320072140p

Good advice from Dwighet there.

This is what I have on top of my CZ varmint 223 and looking to get another one for my 308 - realy good piece of kit IMO. I paid €400 for it off E bay
    http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=bushnell652050sfp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have no problems shooting my .223 at 200 yards with the magnifaction on my scope set to the min (8.5x)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Kay 9, if your on a tight budget, (less than €200) then I have a Sutter 6-24x50 on my .223 and have taken foxes out to 200+meters it also finishes in a respectable position in a comp lately. it has a 30mm tube and side paralax. although its no nightforce I have had no problem with it and would recomend it to anyone on a budget. if your interested I'll pm you the details.
    DSCF0975.jpg

Rew wrote: »
    I have no problems shooting my .223 at 200 yards with the magnifaction on my scope set to the min (8.5x)

Yes, but the main down side of my scope is the thickness of the cross-hairss. They are rediculously thick. other than that it's fine too.

Kay 9, if your on a tight budget, (less than €200) then I have a Sutter 6-24x50 on my .223 and have taken foxes out to 200+meters it also finishes in a respectable position in a comp lately. it has a 30mm tube and side paralax. although its no nightforce I have had no problem with it and would recomend it to anyone on a budget. if your interested I'll pm you the details.
    DSCF0975.jpg

Yes I like this scope Fish-Slapped and would be very interested in details.
    Are they high mounts? I have low ones on mine. I like the target turrets too. Thanks Fish-Slapped. It looks like a decent bit of kit aswell:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

pm sent

Advertisement