Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any news from the FCP today?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Order of Business Dáil Year 2009 ¦ 2008 ¦ 2007 ¦ 2006

April 2009

03 April 2009
    Dáil Éireann Order of Business Tuesday 7 April 2009
    The Dáil Order of Business will be available at approximately 2.45 p.m.

We may as well sit back and wait, read above. I have phoned the Dep of Justice and the Miscellaneous Bill is not going ahead this week. There is no time set in the near future for it to be heard, so again we are left waiting.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Sikamick wrote: »
    I have phoned the Dep of Justice and the Misalliance Bill is not going ahead this week.

Sikamick

Can I be the first to say, nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G17 wrote: »
    Can I be the first to say, nnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may not come up before the end of the summer sitting.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It might not come up for debate before summer Sikamick, but did they say it wouldn't be published as well?

Neither! Nnnnnooooo, because I can't stand the bloomin' waiting!!! :)

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    It might not come up for debate before summer Sikamick, but did they say it wouldn't be published as well?

Sparks no disrespect, please phone them and ask, then maybe people will believe if you give the answer. We seem to be more concerned about April fool jokes than what concerns (us) the people in the shooting sports.

If I was to post every phone call and message/rumour I have got about the Misc Bill and the restricted list I would be laughed off the site.

Again I say No leadership, no information coming from our sporting bodies.

I think I'll take up golf.

Sikamick

Well, I asked (by email as I'm in work and they might be a tad busy there today!), but I don't think I've any terribly special status in terms of truthiness in here Sikamick.

(ps. You run one of our sporting bodies! )

Well, I asked (by email as I'm in work and they might be a tad busy there today!), but I don't think I've any terribly special status in terms of truthiness in here Sikamick.

(ps. You run one of our sporting bodies! )

Yes Sparks and I keep our members up to date with everything I can on a day to day basis and I am available to our members 24 Seven.

Sikamick

And the same can be said of the other shooting bodies Sikamick, I know I can pick up the phone or email and contact the board of the NTSA at any time. But I thought you were saying they should be talking to all shooters (not necessarily in here) regardless of membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

If I was to post every phone call and message/rumour I have got about the Misc Bill and the restricted list I would be laughed off the site.

Again I say No leadership, no information coming from our sporting bodies.

I think I'll take up golf.

Sikamick

Mick. You seem to think (like many people here) that the FCP is some sort of committee that makes decisions and knows what the Minister has in mind.

That's not the case. It's consultative and although everyone gets to put their point of view, they have absolutely no role in deciding what gets implemented and what's discarded.

As far as I know (and I know no more than you), there's no pre-empting of the publication of the bill to anyone before the Dail gets it.

But then you were told that at the clubs and ranges conference by the Chairman of the FCP himself.

• Advertisement

Sparks/rrpc I am most certainly not saying the other club committee members/NGB'S are not doing their club work.

What I am saying any that I am affiliated to, have not passed any info down to me re the Misc Bill or when it will be out, I have to find out for myself/members.

Boards.ie is probably the best source of info though, sometimes not totally correct.

There are people out there in the shooting world that don't even know who the FCP are.

This is my last word on it.

In Sport

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

...Boards.ie is probably the best source of info though...........

+1

From the SSAI website:
    Just to update everyone on what we know on the Misc Provisions Bill.
    The Miscellaneous Provisions Bill was withdrawn today (7th April).
    The Nature of the Problem and the timing to re-introduce it are currently unknown.
    As soon as we get any new information, we will let you know.
    I've heard the approximate date of April 15 mentioned, but unconfirmed and not from the FCP.
    But at least we now have some information.

From the SSAI website:
    I've heard the approximate date of April 15 mentioned, but unconfirmed and not from the FCP.
    But at least we now have some information.

I thank you Sparks and the SSAI for that info , this is all people are asking for, to be kept up to Date, any info at all, doesn't leaves us twiddling our thumbs and biting our nails wondering what and when things are going happen.

Sikamick

biting our nails wondering what and when things are going happen.

Sikamick

I'm currently down to the shoulder :D

G17 wrote: »
    I'm currently down to the shoulder :D

For Gods sake G17 don't start on the other hand or you wont be able to type.

Sikamick

Sikamick

Good advice, the other hand is where my trigger finger is!!!:D

Same information now up on the NASRPC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Sikamick

lkjjderdebjnde hcdxjkijhjuiidsji dhjdj (damn elbows wish I had a couple of fingers left ;))

Same information now up on the NASRPC website.

Sparks thanks to you again for keeping us informed.

Sparks this is excellent to see, the SSAI and now the NASRPC information and advice being released through a public media. This type of thing has been waited for, for a long time.

I know there have been at times releases of info from NGBS, but they need to use Boards.ie on a more regular basis to keep people advised and up to date on what is happening.

There are a lot of people that use and view Boards.ie for information on the shooting sports. It is an excellent media for the ordinary shooter that does not have affiliation to any of the sporting bodies for whatever reason and for those that are affiliated we are starting to see true leadership emerge.

It is quite obvious that there has been a change on the committees of these Associations. This more open approach is very much welcomed.

Sparks is it possible for sticky area to be set up so Associations like the above can post or bill board info without them been drawn into conflict or debate.

This would give people more confidence in the Leadership of our Sporting Bodies and take people away for the feeling of them and us.

My opinion only.

Sikamick

• Advertisement

From the SSAI website:
    Please see below from the Department of Justice issued today (8th April)

"Although we had hoped the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill
    2009 might be introduced to the Oireachtas yesterday (07 April 2009), it
    was not possible for it to be taken by Government due to pressure of work
    arising from the budget. We are informed that it will be on the Government
    agenda for 22 April 2009".

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Guys,

An update on the Misc Provisions Bill from the Department of Justice is now available on the SSAI website and the NASRPC website.

Regards

DB

Sikamick wrote:
    Sparks thanks to you again for keeping us informed.
    Ain't really me Sikamick, I'm just copying over what others posted up.
    this is excellent to see, the SSAI and now the NASRPC information and advice being released through a public media. This type of thing has been waited for, for a long time.
    Amen to that brother :D
    I know there have been at times releases of info from NGBS, but they need to use Boards.ie on a more regular basis to keep people advised and up to date on what is happening.

There are a lot of people that use and view Boards.ie for information on the shooting sports. It is an excellent media for the ordinary shooter that does not have affiliation to any of the sporting bodies for whatever reason and for those that are affiliated we are starting to see true leadership emerge.
    To be honest, I think that there's an amount of change needed on both sides of the fence here - those on the committees need to start posting here more and those not on committees need to manage their expectations of those who are. I know there's an NTSA account in here, but since the kerfuffle that led to the 905 euro per post sticky at the top of the forum, there's been reluctance to engage. Sadly, few read past the inital post in that sticky to see that it applies to NGBs coming in here to take pot shots at one another; NGBs who come here to post information or engage with their members are more than welcome.

On the other hand; it's obvious from actions taken in our community over the last few years that our community has some growing up to do as well. For example, at the FCP seminar recently on the SIs dealing with ranges and clubs, we had a large delegation show up with - from what I could see of what they said and did - the sole purpose of shouting complaints at the top table about the handgun ban. Registering complaints, that's one thing - but the person responsible for that ban wasn't there, and those who were there are not allowed by law to come out in public and criticise the Minister, so what did they expect would happen? Instead, all that happened was time was wasted and the ranges and clubs SIs will be the poorer for it, and the rest of us will have to pay for that with our time, money and frustration.

Likewise, at that meeting in Abbeyleix a while back, there was lots of shouting - but very few there had actually read the Firearms Acts, or the comments from the minister, or anything else relevant to what they were shouting about, and since then, none there have actually come up to jaycee and asked questions on any of this stuff, despite his offer to answer any they might have had.

Stuff like that has to end. We have got to be more self-aware, more mature in our actions and more pragmatic. And this constant nagging whine we hear from some quarters of "I-have-a-right-to-whatever-I-want-and-I-want-it-now" has got to end. It's just burning the rest of us.
    It is quite obvious that there has been a change on the committees of these Associations. This more open approach is very much welcomed.
    Indeed!
    Sparks is it possible for sticky area to be set up so Associations like the above can post or bill board info without them been drawn into conflict or debate.
    If we have to do that as an interim measure, I don't mind, but I'd like to see it as a step towards the associations posting in here themselves. Mods in here are basicly janitors, and none of us really want folks looking to us as something more than that. We do background stuff to keep the forum ticking over, and we're forced occasionally to do stuff to keep libel cases at bay, but that's about it really. In a very very real sense, it's not our site, it's yours (plural).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Tomorrow is the day :D

I've me fingers & toes crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

To be honest, I'm not getting too excited about this. I've a feeling we'll be no wiser after it's published then we were before.

Or to paraphrase the words of Douglas Adams; the current situation will be immediately replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable :rolleyes:

Still not showing up on the order paper for tomorrow, but that may not mean much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sharps

The bill was passed in the dail today, still some details to to ironed out so it wont be published until next week. Check out the update on the NASRPC site

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

sharps wrote: »
    The bill was passed in the dail today, still some details to to ironed out so it wont be published until next week. Check out the update on the NASRPC site

I was of the impression that it couldn't be passed until everything had been "ironed out" and had to be published before it was passed. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Read the posting again. It was approved by Government - not debated in the Dáil.

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm going to close this thread and point everyone over to the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill thread, just to keep things a bit neater.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement