Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable management!!!

Options
  • 02-04-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Can anyone else admit there bad habits like me for untidy cables?! :L:L

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Oh, I'm the same. I did try and tidy it up by turning the hard drives around so that the cable going into them are't able to be seen through the window but that's it. Everything else is a mess. I am tempted to drill a few holes in the motherboard tray and hide some cable behind it but that requires a hole saw and it means I have to take apart the pc and put it back together again. Way too much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Nice to see an suprisingly honest reply!!! :L:L I have all 11 of my drive bays full and i find that everything comes with 12 cables too many!! :L You know the USB headers on the motherboard? I say Id need at least 10 of them to have everything connected properly. As for things like alarms and extra sound cables, im completely stumped.

I was thinking of trying to remove some unnessary cables by removing the top oval of my Armor and replace it with two exhaust fans (one UV 80mm + thermaltake 92mm fan) and a top one-sided mirror tinted window? Dunno how it will work because under one half of it is the PSU :L:L

1010478900.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

11 drive bays full? If I were you I'd just take a picture of the inside of a pc with good cable management and stick it in the window of the case. :D

Getting a pc with that amount of cables to have good cable management is not going to be easy. Best of luck with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

heh im terrible at it to be honest. i just hide everything so it cant be seen through the window. but its much easier with modular psu's these days.If it cant be seen i dont care :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

This is after I removed 2 HDD.......tomorrow is another day:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i tend to have fairly ok cable managment, but some of the sets on the internet are amazing, really show off the pc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yeah but us peasants have always had the short end of the stick that way; forget modular cables, our cheapo cases don't have sufficient physical clearance to hide the cables between the mobo tray's underbelly and the far case wall! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

this is my v poor attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

My last case I managed to hide a fair amount of cables without having to drill any holes, but this time with my Antec 900 I'm going to have to start chopping.

I deffinatly noticed a few degree drop in temps after my first cleanup, so I say its well worth the little bit of effort, even if you dont make every single cable invisible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I hate messy cables. Not so much when there's no side window, but when there is, it drives me nuts to see cables all over the place. For example, the difference when tidied in an old case:

10122007001.jpg

28122007001.jpg

• Advertisement

Varkov wrote: »
    My last case I managed to hide a fair amount of cables without having to drill any holes, but this time with my Antec 900 I'm going to have to start chopping.

Yeah that's the case I have too. Did you notice the two holes near the middle drive bay? What the hell are they there for? They're practically useless. If they had put a hole down the bottom (near the psu), one behind the drive bays, one near the top and one near the middle drive bay it would have been brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah that's the case I have too. Did you notice the two holes near the middle drive bay? What the hell are they there for? They're practically useless. If they had put a hole down the bottom (near the psu), one behind the drive bays, one near the top and one near the middle drive bay it would have been brilliant.

With my Antec I jammed quite a few cables through that route. Made a hell of a difference. Personally I actually found the 900 pretty outright **** for cable management, especially with the PSU and hard drive bay layout. Good case otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Yeah, the PSU on the bottom is crap and the drive cages are just plain awkward.

I'll need to drill a hole down the bottom near the PSU and another smal one up above the mobo if I can fit it.

A good idea would be to incorperate the front usb's audio jack etc into one of the moveable bay covers, so you could mount them either at the top or bottom of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Antec 1200 is supposably class though for cable management?
    I opened the "other" side panel on the Armor to see what kind of cable management it featured....

None!!! Just a sheet of non removable metal :(

I have a modular power supply and I find it makes no difference at all!! :L

Yes every single drive full!!

1. 5.6" Touch Screen Flip Up VGA Monitor (been made by a famous moderator on TheBestCaseScenario.com)
    2. Custom made Sound and Lighting Module in 3.5" drive bay / Power and Reset button
    3. Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon LCD screen
    4. Schyte Kaze Master KM02 Fan Controller
    5. Sony Blu-Ray Drive
    6. Philips DVD Recorder (Soon to be sprayed with black vinyl dye)
    7. DVD Drive
    8,9,10. Thermaltake 120mm fan with Blue LEDs
    11. Thermaltake tool tray....

..Needs a lot of cables and space! :L

Advertisement