Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get out of contract wit bt.

Options
  • 02-04-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Is there any way to get out of the 12 month contract with bt???? i got throttled recently and i just found it to be a joke. other than that they have been fine. no probs wat so ever but id like to be able to download and not have it in the back of my mind that im effectively goin to lose my internet for up to 30 days after that. so if any1 has managed to get out of the contract let me know please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you signed up to a 12 month contract and they haven't breached it then you're pretty much stuck in it unless you wanna pay the remaining months off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i do be amazed with the amount of people whe still join bt, they are a scam, if your with them- move, if your not -don't join them, if everyone took that attitude the would be gone in 12mths

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

tazire wrote: »
    Is there any way to get out of the 12 month contract with bt???? i got throttled recently and i just found it to be a joke. other than that they have been fine. no probs wat so ever but id like to be able to download and not have it in the back of my mind that im effectively goin to lose my internet for up to 30 days after that. so if any1 has managed to get out of the contract let me know please!

More than likely it you attempt to leave them they will pursue you for the outstanding months of your contract and point you to the terms of your contract with them in respect of downloading.

Just ring them up and say

"Hi, i'm afraid im going to have to break this whole situation up. I think it's time i moved on. My needs aren't being met in this current relationship. I just think that a break will do us both good and who knows, maybe after i have a bit more exeperience we can try and work something out together.

It's not you... It's me.

I know i said twelve months, and it did seem realistic to me at the time... but these things happen. We only get one life. We all have to pursue our best interests. I know this hurts you, and i understand that you don't want to lose me, but i must move on.

I will miss you. As a friend. As a companion... As a lover."

By the time you've finished getting that out, the agent you're talking to will have been so mind-numbingly bored, she'll have likely disconnected you and blocked your number.

Either that, or you could just say you're moving to an area they don't provide coverage for. I'm pretty sure if they can't supply the service then you can get out of their contract (at least it is with Irish Broadband, or was when i joined them anyway).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just ring them up and say

"Hi, i'm afraid im going to have to break this whole situation up. I think it's time i moved on. My needs aren't being met in this current relationship. I just think that a break will do us both good and who knows, maybe after i have a bit more exeperience we can try and work something out together.

It's not you... It's me.

I know i said twelve months, and it did seem realistic to me at the time... but these things happen. We only get one life. We all have to pursue our best interests. I know this hurts you, and i understand that you don't want to lose me, but i must move on.

I will miss you. As a friend. As a companion... As a lover."

By the time you've finished getting that out, the agent you're talking to will have been so mind-numbingly bored, she'll have likely disconnected you and blocked your number.

Either that, or you could just say you're moving to an area they don't provide coverage for. I'm pretty sure if they can't supply the service then you can get out of their contract (at least it is with Irish Broadband, or was when i joined them anyway).

Indeed and then await the debt collectors calling to 'discuss' and collect the divorce settlement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Isn't the BT standard contract 6 months? Do you have some special bundle that makes it 12 months?

Edit:
    Ouch, it's gone up to 12 across the board. It was 6 as recently as last October!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

I'm in a similar situation with them, you need to exhaust their tech support services first to address your concerns. Then if still not satisfied you can speak to customer services team and pay 150 cancellation fee . Ill be biting the bullet with them as soon as an alternative provider can be identified.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They are throttling you which is in-line with their T&C's, sure it sucks but you should read T&C's more carefully before you sign up.

I fail to see how exhausting their tech support route will do anything as they are complying with their T&C's by throttling you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

BT have been throttling for a long time at this stage, no excuse for not knowing about it. You won't have any luck canceling the contract with them unless you pay the cancellation fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If the termination fee is only €150, then you might be as well paying that and look for a provider with a larger cap. BT will continue to throttle you, if you go over 100GB in any 30 day period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Just to put a bit of background on this, the reason we know BT will throttle when you go over 100GB is through trial and error as well as user reports on this forum. It is not mentioned in their T&C's. They mention a "Fair Usage" limit applies to their "Unlimited" package but do not specify a number.

Like Lewis Hamilton's testimony, it is misleading but not a lie.

You won't have any luck cancelling the contract unless you pay the cancellation fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

im not being throttled atm but i have been and know how bad it is. im thinkin of just gettin upc 20meg and tbh ill prob save the 150 within the year anyway due to them not having line rental etc. any1 know of anyway to check how good my connection with upc would be?

Advertisement