Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which area of Dublin?

• 02-04-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi guys

First of all i am still renting and waiting for that right moment in my life. But just wondering if you are given choice which area do you think is better in terms of crime; vandalism, transport, schools etc. Now price bracket is 300,000 (max for average earner). Lets see. Adamstown? Lucan?? Clonee?? Chalestown??? or any of your choice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Would love to know how you think 300,000 is a max for an 'average earner'?

Anyway, i'll get the popcorn while everyone fights over which area is best ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Are you going to look on the Northside too? The places mentioned seem quite far out if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I would buy a small cottage type house in Ringsend/Irishtown. Although they only cost around 300k the people who buy them tend to be the educated middle class types.

But being totally honest, I would not buy anything in Dublin for 300k. In fact, the idea in living in a semi-depressing suburb for 25 years depresses the hell out of me! But that's just me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

gurramok wrote: »
    Would love to know how you think 300,000 is a max for an 'average earner'?

Anyway, i'll get the popcorn while everyone fights over which area is best ;):D

50,000x6 times=300,000. Now one could argue 50,000 isn't average income but I consider it average for educated middle class (e.g. myself :D) and it makes no sense buying something more than 6 times of your annual salary.
    Now help me lads.

50k is above average wage, you're in the top 33% of earners in the country by a good shot.

The way i see it, you class yourself as educated middle class, shouldn't you get value to live in a middle class area on middle class wages instead of those outer outer suburbs you listed?

Anyway, i like Palmerstown instead, beats the rest of those areas but the only downside is that it does not have the rail service that Adamstown has. Clonee is a transport nightmare(too far out), Charlestown is really Finglas and Lucan, well that place has severe car dependent problems as well.

If i was in your shoes, i'd buy 2nd hand in a settled area which is not soley car dependent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

As other posters have said, most of the areas you have named are in VERY far out of town. Unless you work out there, you really should be looking some where more central, it'll stand to you if you need to sell up and move in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

confuzed wrote: »
    50,000x6 times=300,000. Now one could argue 50,000 isn't average income but I consider it average for educated middle class (e.g. myself :D) and it makes no sense buying something more than 6 times of your annual salary.
    Now help me lads.
    Certainly average for Public Service
    http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/current/psempearn.pdf

The way i see it, you class yourself as educated middle class, shouldn't you get value to live in a middle class area on middle class wages instead of those outer outer suburbs you listed?
    If i was in your shoes, i'd buy 2nd hand in a settled area which is not soley car dependent.

You are absolutely right but issue is what do i get in 300,000. Suggest me any good family home (minimum 3 bed or preferably four bed) in area you guys think. I know clonee, charlestown and lucan very well but not very familiar with palmerstown and adamstown.

I know these are outer suburb places but again, is there really any place in Dublin where a person like me can spend his life without stretching his budget

You won't get a 'middle class' area 3bed for that price really anywhere, the likes of Clonee\outer Lucan is your only bet or a dodgy area!

I only suggested Palmerstown as a preference to Lucan/Adamstown.

You see, there is no value for you out there in your bracket(Daft/myhome can confirm this), sellers expect the likes you to live in an apt!

Hence, my advice is to hold off until the prices keep falling within your range of the house you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Himselfe

Have to say, I'm living in Charlestown at the mo myself and its a pretty good area. I like it a quite a bit actually (this is coming from a South Sider). I'm renting. There's a good bus service (the 140 is every 10 mins and has me in town in 20-30 mins depending on traffic) and there's an excellent shopping centre which after a year of nearly going bust seems to be picking up and getting busier every weekend. Never any trouble as the dodgy areas of Finglas are a good distance away. And its literally 10 minutes from the airport and out of all the flight paths.

I know Lucan and Adamstown reasonably well and wouldn't touch either of them with a barge pole. Traffic problems there are immense. Palmerstown is a bit better but the buses are nearly always wedged by the time they get there from Celbrige, Liexlp and Lucan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

somewhere off the navan road or clonsilla with a bit of luck you get the type of house you want. The area is mature and had good transport links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Clonee is a transport nightmare(too far out) ....... which is not soley car dependent.

most of the houses in clonee are actually littlepace which is 30 mins walk to clonsilla station - 10 on a bike - and in a car ...well you need to be early!!!!!! and you will soon have to pay for parking.

You won't get a 'middle class' area 3bed for that price really anywhere, the likes of Clonee\outer Lucan is your only bet or a dodgy area!

Thats strange isn't it. I am a middle class earner and someone pointed out (among top 33%) and i cann't buy a family home in an area fit for 'middle class' familities.

I am renting anyway. I don't judge prices by percentage and i don't believe in fancy calculations. What i believe is simple facts.

1) Dublin is just another city of europe. Nothing special.
    2) I am a middle class earner.
    3) I cann't buy area suitable for middle class.
    4) Property is still overpriced. It will bottom up when people like me would be able to afford those areas. Sit tight and wait.

Thanks guys

Advertisement