Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Tag Rugby Boards.ie team

Options
  • 02-04-2009 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

I know the spring league has started and we are too late for that but it is still possible to register teams for the summer league. And it'll give us a few weeks to build up at least some basic fitness

I am thinking of entering a team, I'll have a word with the girlfriend (27) to see if she'll play and I think one of my mates may be up for it but basically i am embarrassingly shot of numbers and in any case I'd prefer to play with completely new people rather than the same old faces from work.

I am 31 of average fitness and have very little experience playing rugby, I see this as an opportunity to have a laugh over the summer time. So I would be entering the team in the c league or the beginners league (games would be held on thursday evenings followed by a few pints). The good thing about a new team is we'd all be in the same boat, one or two players who had played before would be helpful I suppose to guide us on training/rules but it's pretty straightforward. I'd appreciate it if this was made a sticky. We could even write comments here during the season about how we get on. I hope folks on the galway city forum on boards.ie will get behind us if this gets off the ground. It would work out at about 50 euros a man/woman for 9 weeks of fun but I'll know the exact price once I get an idea of numbers. I'd also appreciate some tips on where we could train (for free), maybe once a week a few days before the game. Anyway if all this goes belly-up I'll just join a team that's already established but it would be good to start something ourselves. Let me know within the next couple of weeks if you're interested as I'd like to register a team by mid/late April if possible. Team name is Hit and Missus. We need 7/8 guys and 4/5 girls so pm me or post here if you want to give it a go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I might be interested, our tag team went tits up this year due to lack of interest. FWIW we trained across from Renmore primary school on tuesdays. Lots of teams there, but plenty of space on the pitches for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

I might be interested, our tag team went tits up this year due to lack of interest. FWIW we trained across from Renmore primary school on tuesdays. Lots of teams there, but plenty of space on the pitches for everyone.

good man...that spot sounds ideal too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've never played Tag Rugby or even "normal" Rugby before but I'd be interested in giving it a go depending on when and where the games and training were on. I play football a few nights a week so I'm reasonably capable of running around :).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm already on a team, but highly recommend anyone else thinking of trying it to get involved, it really is a lot of fun, a good way to keep fit, and a great way to meet new people and make a few friends. You might even meet somone you like, I did... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Zzippy wrote: »
    You might even meet somone you like, I did... :D
    Well I would damn well hope so. There's no fun in doing something with a bunch of people you don't like. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i would be interested too and have 2/3 more girls interested too! our team from last year is gone. we trained in Renmore too last year..its very handy there

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If I'm not already spoken for for the summer league, I'm game.

Obviously the team has to be called either Yore Ma or the Knackered Dwarves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

I was hoping to joing the Spring league but the Sunday games didn't suit...If there is a team being put together you could count me in. If numbers are short I may have one or two friends who may be interested too but hopefully we can get the numbers

i'm in a team for the spring league right now wit my workplace.. not in the slightest bit arsed tho so tactics on sale to highest bidder ;)

wow....looks good for interest so far

Just some info fyi

the cost of entering a team is 495 euros, if we can get a squad of 15 players (at least 5/6 girls) then the cost to each of us will only be 33 euros for the 9 week league(begins in early May)......we probably need 15 as people may miss the odd game coz of holidays or whatever.

the thing is you can only register 12 players for any one game according to the www.tagrugby.ie website so if anybody was left out one week they'd play the next, over 9 weeks we'd all probably have to miss 2 or 3 games each IF EVERYBODY TURNS UP EVERY WEEK which is unlikely.

I'd register us in the beginners league so it's BETTER if you are UNFIT and crap at rugby as we don't want to hammer every team we play-it's for fun after all.

So training will take place on either Monday or Tuesday evenings at Renmore and the games will usually take place on a Thursday evening at St. Mary's college followed by a few pints in Massimos.

You also need to buy the special tag shorts (see website).

Just a few things I need help on:

1. Training for games, will one person volunteer to direct training sessions who knows the rules well? I only know the basic rules from the website

2. I need people to officially confirm yes/no if they'll do this, send me your name/number by pm

3. What happens if I pay the 495 euro and then people decide not to show up/pull out? :(

oh and "The Knackered dwarves" is a great name but the maximum length of a team name is 20 characters.

Anyway I'd say there is still a week or two before the league is full so we have time to organise this better.

Let me know what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

malice_ wrote: »
    Well I would damn well hope so. There's no fun in doing something with a bunch of people you don't like. :P

Hehe, I meant someone you really like... :p

We could always go with TheKnackeredDwarves it's not really any different and I'd say that's just the limit on the form

I haven't played before but is there not just 6 people playing per side at any one time??
    I think getting 15 players may be optimistic but if we could that would be great...would spread the cost a bit more as well.

We could always go with TheKnackeredDwarves it's not really any different and I'd say that's just the limit on the form

I haven't played before but is there not just 6 people playing per side at any one time??
    I think getting 15 players may be optimistic but if we could that would be great...would spread the cost a bit more as well.

They recommend a squad of between 12-15 on the website. It's 7 players on each team, each game is 20 minutes a half with a 5 minute break so we would need to use our 5 substitutes and interchange regularly.

If we get together a squad of maximum size 15 it means that in training sessions we can have full on 7 v 7 games. I reckon training should be laid back, maybe some stretching, jog for a bit/short sprints, practice some throwing/kicking/tackling and then a game between ourselves, an hour maybe.

Also I guess we all need football/rugby boots too or wil trainers do?

They recommend a squad of between 12-15 on the website. It's 7 players on each team, each game is 20 minutes a half with a 5 minute break so we would need to use our 5 substitutes and interchange regularly.

Yes you can sub as many times as you like. It's best to have short run outs, so you can give it your all for 5 minutes, then rather than getting your breath back on the pitch sub off for someone fresh. You should be recovered by the time someone else needs to come off etc.

The rules are 7 on the pitch, with a minimum of 3 girls at any given time.

Girl trys are worth more too!
    If we get together a squad of maximum size 15 it means that in training sessions we can have full on 7 v 7 games. I reckon training should be laid back, maybe some stretching, jog for a bit/short sprints, practice some throwing/kicking/tackling and then a game between ourselves, an hour maybe.

Yep that's pretty much the way the training sessions would work:
    Warmup jog
    Stretching
    skills (passing etc.)
    Mini game
    Also I guess we all need football/rugby boots too or wil trainers do?

Some people play in trainers, but if it's a bit wet you're better off with a cheap pair of football boots, which is what most people use.

So anyway let's have a quick check on numbers

Confirmed
    me
    my lady (I'll take her into it when she comes back from holiday)

Interested
    Pope Buckfast
    1 friend of mine (currently in USA, coming back in a week to stay here for Summer)
    malice_
    fifib + 2/3 friends
    Robbo
    scottledeuce + 1/2 friends

so if the interested people could confirm or not in the next week or so I'd appreciate it. Also if any others want to get involved then let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Zzippy wrote: »
    Hehe, I meant someone you really like... :p

LOL; they don't call it 'Shag Rugby' for nothing:pac:

Nathan251 wrote: »
    So anyway let's have a quick check on numbers

Confirmed
    me
    my lady (I'll take her into it when she comes back from holiday)

Interested
    Pope Buckfast
    1 friend of mine (currently in USA, coming back in a week to stay here for Summer)
    malice_
    fifib + 2/3 friends
    Robbo
    scottledeuce + 1/2 friends

so if the interested people could confirm or not in the next week or so I'd appreciate it. Also if any others want to get involved then let me know

Assuming we get a team together you can say I'm confirmed.

It might also be useful to keep track of who is male/female as we need to have a certain amount of each.

I'm male bty

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

i'd be interested in playing. Haven't played before, but would be fairly fit and play a lot of football.
    Could probably get 1/2 other lads if numbers are tight. Tried to get a team going myself last year and found d main problem to be getting enough female players.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Would be interested, but you kinda freaked me out in the last thread about single girls in Galway. Are you like that in real life too? If not, I might want to join...

amz5 wrote: »
    Would be interested, but you kinda freaked me out in the last thread about single girls in Galway. Are you like that in real life too? If not, I might want to join...

I was only winding people up in that thread, in this thread I am actually trying to be serious for a change, don't worry about me, i am they shy retiring type

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Count me in!
    still waiting to hear from others girls. should have an answer for ya tomorrow hopefully!

Edit: btw im female!

Yeah feck it, I'm in aswell - I'm a boy...

We need to sort out Jerseys aswell by the way. I think you can buy generic jerseys, but that's probably something we could discuss when we meet up for the first training session.

Also are we going to enter into the summer league up in Corinthians? It was good last year, they'd have beer & bbq's out there afterward sometimes and the atmosphere was always pretty good up there.

Yeah feck it, I'm in aswell - I'm a boy...

We need to sort out Jerseys aswell by the way. I think you can buy generic jerseys, but that's probably something we could discuss when we meet up for the first training session.

Also are we going to enter into the summer league up in Corinthians? It was good last year, they'd have beer & bbq's out there afterward sometimes and the atmosphere was always pretty good up there.

on the tag rugby website it says the games for the summer league are played at st. marys college, not sure if the corinthians event is still running to be honest

as for jerseys i reckon we should all just agree on a colour and then grab a t-shirt/top of that colour and we're sorted....it's the tag shorts we need....any suggestions for colours?

ok so here's the update

we have about 7 or 8 people confirmed and probably that number again showing interest

I'll let the thread run for another two weeks or so and then i'll arrange a meeting dependant on numbers, remember we need 9/10 guys and 5/6 girls....at the meeting i'll know exactly how much each of us has to pay, remember the cost of entry is 495 euros so if there are 15 of us it'll be 33 each.

and please if you want to play then confirm as soon as possible as places are being filled daily

so we'll probably meet 20th or 21st April and decide on

1. team name
    2. colour of tops-yellow?
    3. if/when/where you want to train-Renmore on Monday/Tuesday evening?
    4. do we have balls/shorts etc
    5. we need a cpatain/vice-captain/one person to train who knows the rules pretty well

and then i'll take your money, disappear and you'll never hear from me again;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Nathan251 wrote: »
    on the tag rugby website it says the games for the summer league are played at st. marys college, not sure if the corinthians event is still running to be honest
    There's 2 crowds that run tag leagues, the IRFU and ITRA. The rules differ slightly.

IRFU run out of Corinthians and Dangan, ITRA operate from St Mary's. Last year was the first year the IRFU ran Dangan so there was some teething problems, namely teams who missed out on Corinthians getting shoved into the beginners league when they were of an B or better standard.

I've played both and there's positives and negatives to both. Personally, I'd more prefer the IRFU one and that's mainly because they use a proper size 5 ball and I found the refs to have a little more ability to read the game and ref it accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I might possibly be interested in this... but not definitely (there's a slim possibility I'll be outta galway to pursue a new job in the coming weeks). Will keep an eye on this thread though. (I'm a dude).

Robbo wrote: »
    There's 2 crowds that run tag leagues, the IRFU and ITRA. The rules differ slightly.

IRFU run out of Corinthians and Dangan, ITRA operate from St Mary's. Last year was the first year the IRFU ran Dangan so there was some teething problems, namely teams who missed out on Corinthians getting shoved into the beginners league when they were of an B or better standard.

I've played both and there's positives and negatives to both. Personally, I'd more prefer the IRFU one and that's mainly because they use a proper size 5 ball and I found the refs to have a little more ability to read the game and ref it accordingly.

Is the IRFU one the same price, I haven't checked out their league, don't know if we can still register for it/how much/etc etc

as for refs reading the game and that kind of stuff, aren't we doing this for a bit of a laugh really, we're not taking it too seriously i think, and i think the majority of us are beginners, but having played both i defer to your greater wisdom on this and the bbq/atmosphere in corinthians sounds good, and of course a full size ball is easier to catch.

also i know this is a long shot but ummmm maybe boards.ie could pay our registration fee and we could represent them, get their name in the paper etc., we could wear shirts sponsored by them, think of all that free advertising revenue....who's in charge of this board, take me to that man/woman right now, we have some negotiating to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think it's definitely a long shot.

But if you feel like trying, Darragh and Dav are the boards.ie community managers.

• Advertisement

+1 for IRFU then... full sized ball is better.

For purely selfish reasons of it being closer to work, along witht he fact that it was cool out there last year, my vote goes to Corinthians. Still though, we'll see if we get the numbers and can decide on a league then.

I doubt we'd get any money of boards... but maybe they would pay for the jerseys if they had the boards logo on them? Still even if it's 35ish quid each, that's not bad for some healthy entertainment over the course of the summer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement