Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sinn fein call to ban all blood sports

Options
  • 02-04-2009 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

as above .
    at there recent Ard fheis in dublin there was a motion to ban all blood sports.
    this motion to ban all blood sports has been carried and has now been adopted as party policy.

with the european and local elections coming up ,we should not and can not stand for this .
    i just hope im in the eve they call to my home .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

no more votes for sinn fein so

• Registered Users Posts: 14 polite

With Sinn Fein's background....they want to ban blood sports....must be a joke?

Maybe if people only shot <---insert your own word here---> in the knees and ankles they might change their minds on this one?

Unbelieveable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JunkieW

polite wrote: »

Maybe if people only shot <---insert your own word here---> in the knees and ankles they might change their minds on this one?

Unbelieveable.

April fool?

Sounds like Sinn Fein are going after the Green Party vote, but it still sounds more like a joke :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

polite wrote: »

Unbelieveable.

Polite, you got in before me !!!

A lot of the Shinn(tt)ers had plenty practice with the other type of shooting. You'd think they'd be still interested in sport shooting at least. W*nkers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Polite, you got in before me !!!

A lot of the Shinn(tt)ers had plenty practice with the other type of shooting. You'd think they'd be still interested in sport shooting at least. W*nkers :D

lads stick to the point no shxt about the troubles thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This thread is walking close to a line alright. Nonetheless, it is true about the Sinn Fein policy. If folks want to discuss that, okay - if we wander back into Troubles territory, we'll just lock and delete the thread, okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Sinn fein want to ban blood sports? haha thats rich!

Sparks wrote: »
    This thread is walking close to a line alright. Nonetheless, it is true about the Sinn Fein policy. If folks want to discuss that, okay - if we wander back into Troubles territory, we'll just lock and delete the thread, okay?

i agree 100% sparks .i was in two minds to start this thread but we should know whats going on .

it is very worrying to me that a new party in power should take such a stance the greens will fuel the fire now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Sparks wrote: »

Totally agree and proper order, this is not the place to discuss 'the Troubles'.

Certainly seems like a pitch for green votes.

Have SF ever disclosed what their actual definition of 'blood sports' is? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

jwshooter wrote: »
    lads stick to the point no shxt about the troubles thanks.

Sarcasm, my friend. Same as other posters:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

does biting my tongue to the point where it is bleeding count as blood sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Do they want to ban angling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JunkieW

Sinn Fein are mostly urban based, so they obviously believe they'll gain more votes then they'll lose by following this policy.

It'd be our job to prove them wrong.

All field sports not just fox hunting and coursing .

time to sit up and pay attention , they will most lightly jump on the pistol band wagon also .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I've never voted or listened to Sinn Fein. I don't intend starting now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Is it not Labour Policy too or am I mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Sinn fein target themselves at a certain kind of person that we in hunting and shooting are much better off without - they're day has come and gone ;) they have no place in Irish politics anymore.

Now what I would be afraid of is cowen and co seeing a ban attempt as a way of taking some pressure off them for a while - just like blair did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I was at a Regional game Council meeting last week where we were told of this development. I went home and wrote to the Local TD expressing my concerns and recieved a reply distancing the term blood sports from shooting/hunting and fishing pursuits for the pot etc etc.

I then replied using links to the ICABS website where we as hunters/shooters are all lumped in under that "blood Sports" I got a different reply from another public representative, again trying to claw back on the issue.

Apparently it was voted in by a narrow majority:confused: Anyhow I sent out a letter to all Gun Club members as there were other things needing raising and asked all members to make this and other issues affecting our sport a doorstop issue with the elections coming up.

Pat Rabbitte (I think) didi say he was against Fox hunting but had no objections to shooting/fishing for the pot. Look at the ICABS website for more info on Politicians views

Just reading the Clar and motion 160 is from that bastion of country pursuits, Drimnagh, Dublin 12 and it's an Ogra Cumann - the youth of today!
    It reads
    "This Ard Fheis calls for a total ban on all blood sports, including Hare Coursing and Fox Hunting"

I presume this is the one that was passed.

The next motion is interesting - Motion 161 from two Cumann - Kerry & Tipp.
    "That this Ard Fheis reiterates it's view that Hare Coursing is not a blood sport and that it opposes any attempt to ban a popular rural sport"

I wonder was this one passed along with the previous?
    Obviously their policy prior to this Ard Fheis did not support a ban of any sorts.

Still, when they come knocking for votes we have to make our opposition to their policies known along with any others who oppose our sport and recreation.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Do they want to ban angling?

I would doubt it very much, Marty McGuinness is a mad keen Salmon fisher. See how he would like it if his party were up for banning it also!

Mallards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭brieny1000

endasmail wrote: »
    +1:mad::mad::mad:

thelurcher wrote: »
    Sinn fein target themselves at a certain kind of person that we in hunting and shooting are much better off without

Are we in hunting and shooting better off without the working class and the small farmers? I think not - as my understanding is that they are the target market for the Sinn Fein vote.
    I suppose like most left of centre parties they will attract their fair share of antis, just like in the Greens and Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

mallards wrote: »
    I would doubt it very much, Marty McGuinness is a mad keen Salmon fisher. See how he would like it if his party were up for banning it also!

Mallards.

thats true , ive met him several times flyfishing on the crana river:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Are we in hunting and shooting better off without the working class and the small farmers?

I had a similar thought when I heard this. But surely there are plenty of small farmers and 'working class' people involved in shooting/hunting/fishing? I know there are round where I'm from, and I'm not exactly a dinner party head myself.

So I can't see how they hope to appeal to that particular demographic with a sweeping, general ban on 'blood sports'. Surely it's counter-productive.

They never got my vote anyway, and this nonsense just confirms my suspicions. Crowd of chancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Junki3

endasmail wrote: »
    Yup yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

I've always vote Sinn Fein beacause their the only party that that showed respect for the working class as of late but i wont now, their a dead party anyway, the next election will take them out of irish politics id say. As far as the stereotyping going on in this thread its pathetic, would you vote fine gael? Do people forget the brownshirts and the blueshirts?? haha...

Who will i vote for now!!? I want to vote for a party that doesnt have serious "Croppy lie down" syndrome but i want a party that will stand by the hunting community also...

but i want a party that will stand by the hunting community also...

I wouldn't hold my breath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

<SNIPPAGE>

Let's keep the personal jibes and inter-Party politics out of it folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Don't know how but I knew this when the last elections were going on. Think I read it on their site or something that they were anti blood sport

When the local girl (quite young and attractive) called to the house she asked would I be voting and were there any issues she could help with. I politely told her that as Sinn Fein were anti hunting that I could not vote for them.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    I politely told her that as Sinn Fein were anti hunting that I could not vote for them.

That poses an interesting question.

In todays economic downturn (don't mention the R word), I'd imagine that most people would have major concerns over their jobs, mortgages, savings, pensions, etc etc. All the usual headaches but very much to the front of people's mind at present.

Given the state of the nation and the need for our elected representatives to do something about it, would anyone deicde where to cast their vote based on their party's stance on hunting?

Would people feel that other policies on the economy etc. would rank as being more or less important than hunting?

I'm not specifically picking on the policies of any particular party, just parties in general.

Advertisement