Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sinn fein call to ban all blood sports

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

why are the nargc,icpsa,cai,etc . not running this story on there wed sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Sinn Fein's stance on hunting is just another reason not to vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jwshooter wrote: »
    why are the nargc,icpsa,cai,etc . not running this story on there wed sites
    The NARGC are.
    Have been for weeks.
    The others aren't the lead body for hunting.

not on there wed sites .

it matters not who is a lead body in field sports .every small game club in the country should be made aware of this .

Yes on their websites jw. From NARGC.ie:
    SINN FEIN POLICY ON FIELDSPORTS
    You'll be amazed to read the attachment which reflects Sinn Fein policy on our sport. I'm sure you all won't forget this at the upcoming Elections !

• Advertisement

so it is sparks . its not what you call getting top billing .

No, it's not - the NARGC website isn't great that way. But at least it's up there, so the only change needed is a tweak, rather than a massive change in policy :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just sent an email using the content of the NARGC letter to my local councillor and CC'd it to the four TD's.

I got undeliverable bounce backs from the four TD's:mad:

Timely resurrection of this thread. Despite the undeliverable messages from the four TD's, I actually got a response from one of them, Martin Ferris in Kerry.
    As a political party organised in rural communities across Ireland, Sinn
    Féin members are involved in all aspects of life including traditional rural
    activities.
    At our Ard Fheis this year, a controversial motion in opposition to hare
    coursing was passed by a very narrow margin. I understand that there has
    been some confusion and dissatisfaction about this position but there are
    also individuals who have sought to make political mischief on the issue.
    Many members and supporters of the party, including myself, are opposed to
    this position and as a result I have undertaken to present a new motion to
    our next Ard Fheis. I have already secured considerable support from
    members across Ireland for this position. Below is the text of the motion.
    "Without prejudice to the party's continued position of opposition to cruel
    farming practices, unnecessary and cruel animal testing, and the unnecessary
    infliction of cruelty to animals, especially for the purposes of
    entertainment, this Ard Fheis:
    . Affirms its support for traditional rural activities including hunting and
    fishing and acknowledges the value that such activities bring to local rural
    economies.
    . Believes that the banning of hare coursing would drive it underground and
    remove current regulations, which are essential to protect the animals
    involved. Therefore we oppose such an outright ban.
    . Affirms that it continues to oppose "bloodsports", by which it means dog
    fighting and badger baiting.
    Rural communities across Ireland are under huge pressure and it is important
    that we work together for what is right. That includes issues like
    traditional rural activities but it is also includes keeping jobs in
    Ireland, protecting health and education, ensuring that pensioners and
    people with disabilities are not made to carry the can for the economic
    crisis caused by this government. I hope that this letter helps to clarify
    matters. If you have any queries do not hesitate to contact me at the above
    numbers.
    Is mise,

Martin Ferris TD

There isn't an election by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Pullandbang, you're in Meath as well. Were you by any chance talking to Micheal Gallagher ( who's the father of a Drumconrath GC member ) ? I met him canvassing in the town where I live last weekend and asked him about their position on our type of hunting. They way he put it is that the rural membership of the party was more or less caught of guard at the ard fheis and that there's serious work being put into internal lobbying to have that motion made undone at the following ard fheis. The name of Martin Ferris was indeed mentioned as one of the people who wish to reverse this position.

• Advertisement

they woud say mass for you now if ya asked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

So, who is the best of a bad lot to vote for in relation to keeping our sport intact for as long as possible? Labour maybe? Or the greens lol.... I can see Sinn Fein takin a fall in my general area after hearing abt this.. And I'm sure in other areas also. Anyway, would like to hear of a healthy opposition to vote for in respect of our long founded sport...Yours,
    Kay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

jwshooter wrote: »
    they woud say mass for you now if ya asked them.

At the end of it all it's election time and the business is seats...I was just relating what I was told and to be quite frank about it if Sinn Fein wants to keep it's rural support they'll be better of making an about turn on that decision asap.

kay 9 wrote: »
    So, who is the best of a bad lot to vote for in relation to keeping our sport intact for as long as possible?
    Looks like labour, but it really is a case of the best of a bad lot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

When the sinn fhein stand broke and on foot of the NARGC mail shot to secretaries I wrote to the sitting TD and Martin Ferris. After some e mail table tennis and pointing out how ICABS etc lump hunting in with blood sports, got an e mail back clarifying the position and giving an undertaking that Mr. Ferris would push to have the position clarified. Fair dues looks like he did it:)

But they still want to ban handguns lol :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

i think that campain started when micheal stone got released on the good friday aggrement,whats next road bowls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Sparks wrote: »
    Looks like labour, but it really is a case of the best of a bad lot :(

+1 based on my personal contact with ALL the parties (and several independents).

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

The biggest mistake SF are making is in thinking that this is a rural issue - look at where their poster campaigns are targeting mainly - it's the more 'working class' areas of the cities - where nearly every second family has a lurcher or terrier.
    I was at a meeting with adams a few weeks ago and to be honest the man hasn't a clue about any kind of hunting nor do I think could he care less what happens to it one way or the other.
    He denied outright that SF is an anti party - now anyone with even a passing interest in politics will know that many in his party are being held up as poster boys for the likes of ICABS.
    It's all well and good that ferris is making a stand but they just don't have the backing of their active party members on this - and that's the only criteria on which you can judge any party.

All we can do is spread the word on the anti parties - most SF supporters I've talked to cannot believe their stance on this issue.

With so many people out of work and fecked for money - how does any politician think it's a good move to try and take away their hobbies too :rolleyes:

Were you by any chance talking to Micheal Gallagher

No, I never met him. In fact I haven't met any of the candidates yet other than one local chap who is standing for FF in Meath Coonty Council elcetions. They must call when I'm not at home:).

I do however know of my local Sinn Fein Town Councillor and Joe O'Reilly on Meath Co. Co. and neither of them would support any ban on our sport.

I also had a heated discussion some time ago with a Labour councillor who was totally opposed to my past time:mad: - all the usual killing little animals sh1te!

I also had a heated discussion some time ago with a Labour councillor who was totally opposed to my past time:mad: - all the usual killing little animals sh1te!
    Irish politics being Irish politics, I wouldn't bother listening to local councillors - it's the party leaders you have to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Labour official policy is to ban coursing.

FG and FF are about the most pro hunting but obviously not the most reasonable on gun licences

any party that wants to try and push to curtail hunting,shooting or fishing as a priority at a time like this really shouldn't be in polotics to my mind
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Proper order.

This archaic cowardly "sport" has no place in a modern society.

Oddly enough, trolling the shooting forum has no place in modern society either. Poster banned for one month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

As a SF member I will be opposing this ridiculous line of policy at every turn I can, and, for what they're worth, my apologies to the general shooting community on boards for this nasty turn of events.

Dublin Ógra aren't exactly the ones who'd have any major grasp on the facts of rural Irish life, as you'd imagine. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

In the last thirty years I have only been canvassed once by SF. As an ex political organiser I will never vote for anyone or party who has not bothered to call to my door. Politics takes time and effort and if they won't put it in before the election what chance after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Well None of them will get my vote there all a shower of beeps who are in it for the ££££££££....

They obviously dont have the first idea of what Rabbits, Pigeons(most of all) and fox do. When it comes to peoples lively hoods.. I no for a fact had it not been for the gun i would be sitting here with no job right now... We had a field of cabbage worth in excess of 100,000 euros and had we not patrolled it day after day (and 5 bangers in the field) there would be nothing left only clay.. the damage pigeons can do is frightening. Same goes with cereal's

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Not voting is the exact same as voting for those in power. Excercise your right/obligation, and go vote on Friday. Vote Labour(for their pro-gun policies) first then anyone else that pleases you, but vote the present sh1tbags out.

10 mins of your life could make the difference.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

Not voting is the exact same as voting for those in power. Excercise your right/obligation, and go vote on Friday. Vote Labour(for their pro-gun policies) first then anyone else that pleases you, but vote the present sh1tbags out.

10 mins of your life could make the difference.

Just vote, one way or the other. Just vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

elius wrote: »
    They obviously dont have the first idea of what Rabbits, Pigeons(most of all) and fox do. When it comes to peoples lively hoods.. I no for a fact had it not been for the gun i would be sitting here with no job right now... We had a field of cabbage worth in excess of 100,000 euros and had we not patrolled it day after day (and 5 bangers in the field) there would be nothing left only clay.. the damage pigeons can do is frightening. Same goes with cereal's

Motion was put forward by Dulbin city Ógra Shinn Féin. In fairness, they're great lads, and sound politically, but they'd hardly be too up on rural tradition now would they?

Anyway I wouldn't take Ard-Fheis motions too seriously, there are so many to vote on every feckin year that most are forgotten about by the time the next one comes round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I'm in the north, as some of you will know, and have had all the canvassers round here over the last 2 weeks.

First question I throw at them every time is

"Where do you/your party stand on shooting as a sport, and the continued private ownership of firearms for this purpose?"

If you throw it in their face every time, they will have to listen.

Its not like on every other door people are saying "We don't like them <insert discipline> shooters"

If I get a negative reply I throw several more questions and tell them politely I wouldn't vote for them if my life depended on it.

Don't mince about, let them have it, they won't forget you in a hurry. Being meely-mouthed will not get you anywhere.

The Shinners that called here said they supported traditional country sports.

I asked "Did that include shooting?" and got the usual BS/non-answering "Ireland has a proud history of rural sport....." but didn't hear the end of the sentence as I politely told him if he couldn't give me an answer, I couldn't give him a vote.

Door closed.

Advertisement