Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Existing CMS website to move host company

Options
  • 02-04-2009 9:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have an existing CMS (Content Management System) website which i am happy with, but the hosting and support fees have risen to € 1,550 per year to cover hosting and 12 hours per year technical support. Any additional support hours, i am being charged €95 per hour.

Is it possible to move an existing website to a new hosting company, or would they have to re-implement the website using their own CMS programs?

Does the above hosting and support cost seem very high?

I do all the work on updating the website myself, adding text and photos, but this is an easy task using the CMS. I have had the site since 1999 and want to maintain it's high google PR of 5.

Does anyone have advice how i go about choosing a new company, who are very professional, not likely to go out of business, and themselves have at least a google PR of 5. And costs less than those above.

Any advice appreciated.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

burrenyoga wrote: »
    Is it possible to move an existing website to a new hosting company, or would they have to re-implement the website using their own CMS programs?

Most CMSs will work on a particular hosting platform, with the most common ones being PHP+MySQL, ASP+MS-SQL, ColdFusion or JSP. It's not the CMS itself that's important, but the platform.

If you know what your CMS is built on, and choose a host that offers it, then you should be OK (provided you can do a proper install).

The only other common issue that occurs is file/directory permissions.

Note, however that the above applies to current standards; if you have a CMS since 1999, it may not comply, or it may be running on a platform that could be difficult to recreate (e.g. similar to you finding an old program on Windows 3.1 that you want to run now).

Advertisement