Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sven sacked by Mexico

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ridiculous to be fair, give the man a chance like. He has earned it. More accomplished than any of the people he is working with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

surprised he isnt in big brother.

what has he ever achieved as a manager, he must be the wealthiest most useless manager in the world.

and he looks like a physict.

what has he ever achieved as a manager, he must be the wealthiest most useless manager in the world.

Eh he might have achieved Lazio's only Serie A win in nearly 40 years, but yeah hes a nothing manager, I mean hes never even won an FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Well, he didnt last long.

Pompey beware.

My bet is he's off to Asia.

He's had European, English, Hispanic, Scandinavian & American women.

He needs a new challenge.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Well, he didnt last long.

Pompey beware.

They'd do very well to get him. The problem with their future seems to be that none of the players want to stay. A manager of his calibre would probably do a fair deal to halt that.

Just to clarify:

* Göteborg
    o Svenska Cupen Winners 1979, 1982
    o Allsvenskan Champions 1981, 1982
    o UEFA Cup Winners 1982
    * Benfica
    o Portuguese Liga Champions 1983, 1984, 1991
    o Cup of Portugal Winners 1983
    o SuperCup Cândido de Oliveira Champions 1989
    o European Cup Runners Up 1990
    o UEFA Cup Runners Up 1983
    * Roma
    o Coppa Italia Winners 1986
    * Sampdoria
    o Coppa Italia Winners 1994
    * Lazio
    o Coppa Italia Winners 1998, 2000
    o Italian Super Cup Winners 1998, 2000
    o UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Winners 1999
    o UEFA Super Cup Winners 1999
    o Serie A Champions 2000
    * England National Football Team
    o FA Summer Tournament Winners 2004

But yeah you stick with your amazing David Moyes who you're always going on about, who has won em........ an old English second division

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

DSB wrote: »
    Eh he might have achieved Lazio's only Serie A win in nearly 40 years, but yeah hes a nothing manager, I mean hes never even won an FA Cup.

with how much money to spend?

Jazzy wrote: »

Probably not more than Inter, Juve or Milan had spent constructing the teams that he was playing against. Did he have tonnes to spend with all this other teams mentioned above? Were Goteborg the biggest spenders in the UEFA Cup that year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

you can't dispute the facts.
    i think it's his inability to keep his private life out of the papers that's cost him his job again imo.
    he's been there,done that and i don't think his hearts in the right place anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Disappointing to see it.
    They've struggled in this second round so far but I still think they'll qualify, rash media decision to please the masses written all over it

Just to clarify:

* Göteborg
    o UEFA Cup Winners 1982
    * Benfica
    * Roma
    * Sampdoria
    * Lazio
    o Serie A Champions 2000

But yeah you stick with your amazing David Moyes who you're always going on about, who has won em........ an old English second division

>>>>

Sven will be linked with every high profile job the length and breath of the globe between now and the summer.

He is just after the cash and the women, success is way down his priority list.

No English club with an ounce of sense would hire him

the last mayor trophy he won was 10 years ago, since then he has won diddly squat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Jazzy wrote: »

Lazio had one of the best assembled squads in the world(at the time) when Sven was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Citeh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

the last mayor trophy he won was 10 years ago, since then he has won diddly squat.

He was one of England's most succesful managers ever, lost only 5 competitive matches and got dumped out on penalty shoot outs. He's a great manager

>>>>

Sven will be linked with every high profile job the length and breath of the globe between now and the summer.

Hilarious how quick you are to ignore the fact that your 'what has he ever achieved as a manager' remark was absolutely ridiculous, but instead try and find new criticisms of a man who actually did pretty well in his only stint as a Premiership manager, until a madman owner started meddling with things and unsettling the club.

I just think he considers himself too much of a celeb these days, his heart is deffo not in the right place.

But having said that he is a newspapers dream to fill up much sought after space linking him with all manners of jobs.

The guys over in the mirror have a big wheel with selected clubs from leagues around the world and they give the wheel a spin and say, right thats svens back page job for tomorrow.

England's most successful manager?, Im sure Sir Bobby Robson would disagree.

If Brian Clough was around now he would ridicule Sven and all he stands for.

I might always harper on about David Moyes but everyone respects him, he is a no nonsense down to earth manger. doesn't take any crap and has turned Everton from a team everyone loved to play and which was at the wrong end of the table to a team most clubs hate playing and is up near the top. With limited budget and very shrewd buys.

Sven has won a cup winners cup with Lazio in 1999 and the league the next year with a Lazio squad at at the time who would have won with anyone in charge it could be argued. Its like putting Sven in Charge of Barca now, next years Spanish la liga, no problem sir.

Since then he has hardly set the world alight with major honours, unless you count the hotties he was with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'm not going to argue with his achievements, that's silly.
    I just honestly don't rate him as a manager

I just think he considers himself too much of a celeb these days, his heart is deffo not in the right place.

But having said that he is a newspapers dream to fill up much sought after space linking him with all manners of jobs.

The guys over in the mirror have a big wheel with selected clubs from leagues around the world and they give the wheel a spin and say, right thats svens back page job for tomorrow.

England's most successful manager?, Im sure Sir Bobby Robson would disagree.

If Brian Clough was around now he would ridicule Sven and all he stands for.

I might always harper on about David Moyes but everyone respects him, he is a no nonsense down to earth manger. doesn't take any crap and has turned Everton from a team everyone loved to play and which was at the wrong end of the table to a team most clubs hate playing and is up near the top. With limited budget and very shrewd buys.

Sven has won a cup winners cup with Lazio in 1999 and the league the next year with a Lazio squad at at the time who would have won with anyone in charge it could be argued. Its like putting Sven in Charge of Barca now, next years Spanish la liga, no problem sir.

Since then he has hardly set the world alight with major honours, unless you count the hotties he was with.

Moyes' achievements are nothing compared to Erikssons though, and to argue that anyone would have won that league with Lazio against Milan, Juve and Inter is naive at best and insulting to Eriksson. He was very impressive to do so.

Moyes' achievements are nothing compared to Erikssons though, and to argue that anyone would have won that league with Lazio against Milan, Juve and Inter is naive at best and insulting to Eriksson. He was very impressive to do so.

That league was the strongest I've ever seen. There was Parma and Fiorentina as well and Roma were beginning their revival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Ericksson is a great manager and his services are coveted the world over. He has been under the media microscope for nearly 20 years and the same tabloid reading clowns still harp on about his love of women and cash.

Im sure most of us like women and cash;), does it make us incompetent rockstars?, i dont think so.

He has a great eye for quality players who can mesh together, its all well and good saying he had bucket loads of cash at lazio, its a different thing altogether turning that cash into a lazio team winning the league when it means toppling the might of juve, milan etc.

Comparing him to moyes is like comparing freshwater salmon and pike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

It was inevitable that Mexico would sack him from day one. Does anyone remember back to the press conference where he was presented as manager? He described it as a 'challenge' to accomplish something great with the team, to which all the reporters gasped.

Let's not forget, that Mexico are basically an international version of Newcastle. They are an above-average side, but the people in charge think that they are so much better than that, and they are hyped up as a contender for the World Cup every year. IMO, they were just loking for an excuse to sack him.

I really cant think of who is out there better than him and willing to take the job.

Stan maybe?

Blanco might come back to play now aswell, or maybe even a Shearer-esque management jump and ditch playing :P

Sven had managed since the 70s....lol

Moyes is a baby compared to him.

How many managerial jobs has Sven he held in the last 10 years, exactly.

But he is finished for sure now, as no one will entertain his 300 million a year pay check anymore in the current climate.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

your all nuts if you think he is a good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Poor Sven. Just too late for the Newcastle job.

But he is finished for sure now, as no one will entertain his 300 million a year pay check anymore in the current climate.:rolleyes:

Take a look at how quickly he started to win trophies and then continue that line of argument, you're just talking rubbish at this point.

Moyes and Sven...

LOL

That's like comparing Tony Soprano and Brian Cowen.

But Nuts to anyone who rates him.

Sir Alex Ferguson, a legend of a manager.

Sven, meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I wouldnt bother DSB, after wiping the floor with previous arguments the debate is now turned to sven having 'grey hair'.

The day moyes can demand "300 million a year" (lol) is the day i eat my own underwear.

• Advertisement

Maybe they can hire fake Sven again?

What has Moyes ever done that even close to emulates any of Sven's achievements? Please enlighten me.

Take a look at how quickly he started to win trophies and then continue that line of argument, you're just talking rubbish at this point.

I think if you went to the UK and told people that Sven was one of England's best managers,they would question your sanity.

So its you who is talking rubbish tbh.

I think if you went to the UK and told people that Sven was one of England's best managers,they would question your sanity.

Number 1: I never made that statement once, that was someone else.
    Number 2: You've just ignored my question purposely, and the facts, and you seem to have been doing that alot.

What has Moyes ever done that even close to emulates any of Sven's achievements? Please enlighten me.

Are you his secretary in disguise.?:pac:

Moyes is about half his age so that argument cannot even be entertained at this stage.

Sven is more like Hugh Heffner compared to Moyes

Are you his secretary in disguise.?:pac:

Moyes is about half his age so that argument cannot even be entertained at this stage.

Sven is more like Hugh Heffner compared to Moyes

Sven has been doing it since Moyes' age though and this has been mentioned but you've ignored it. He won the UEFA Cup at 44. But do continue with random arguments to defend a point that can't be defended.

• Advertisement

Sven has been doing it since Moyes' age though and this has been mentioned but you've ignored it. He won the UEFA Cup at 44. But do continue with random arguments to defend a point that can't be defended.

well you must be in the minority of people to actually rate him.

For starters Moyes inherited a club at its knees and on the brink of being relegated and with little money.

Sven managed clubs with plenty cash at his disposal already and with star players on the pitch. In other words, clubs at opposite ends of the spectrum

Soooooooooooooo

That Moyes Vs Sven is a silly argument

lets put it in perspective, do you think Sven would be in charge at Everton now if he took the job instead of Moyes [which he wouldn't because he would not get 30million a year and not enough limelight]

we all know the answer to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

For starters Moyes inherited a club at its knees and on the brink of being relegated and with little money.

Sven managed clubs with plenty cash at his disposal already and with star players on the pitch. In other words, clubs at opposite ends of the spectrum

Soooooooooooooo

lets put it in perspective, do you think Sven would be in charge at Everton now if he took the job instead of Moyes [which he wouldn't because he would not get 30million a year and not enough limelight]

tbh pissing against the wind springs to mind when i read your vaild point vs someones elses.

Soooooooooooooo

I'm not claiming that Sven is a particularly character that is going to stay at a club for 10 years, but he is a better manager than Moyes hands down. And I think you'll find Goteborg were hardly a rich club. And has been pointed out Lazio were no better than a number of clubs in the Serie A on paper. He took Benfica to a European Cup final too, I'm sure they hadn't the second best squad on paper at the time.

In a similar way, Stephen Ireland may not be as stable a player as Lee Carsley who has done his job consistently well for years, but even at Carsley's peak, you know who you'd call the better player.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    tbh pissing against the wind springs to mind when i read your vaild point vs someones elses.

Im in awe of your wisdom

I'm not claiming that Sven is a particularly character that is going to stay at a club for 10 years, but he is a better manager than Moyes hands down. And I think you'll find Goteborg were hardly a rich club. And has been pointed out Lazio were no better than a number of clubs in the Serie A on paper. He took Benfica to a European Cup final too, I'm sure they hadn't the second best squad on paper at the time.

In a similar way, Stephen Ireland may not be as stable a player as Lee Carsley who has done his job consistently well for years, but even at Carsley's peak, you know who you'd call the better player.

???

Think this tread has run its course.

I wish Sven well on his retirement pension... wouldn't be surprised if he is still getting benefits from the FA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Just to clarify:

* Göteborg
    o UEFA Cup Winners 1982
    * Benfica
    * Roma
    * Sampdoria
    * Lazio
    o Serie A Champions 2000

That's similar but better than Sir Bobby Robson's CV, and of course most of today's managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just to clarify:

* Göteborg
    o UEFA Cup Winners 1982
    * Benfica
    * Roma
    * Sampdoria
    * Lazio
    o Serie A Champions 2000

The biggest point you are making here is that you can use Wiki !

Give him credit for Goteborg and Benfica, Lazio is a totally different story, thety acted like the Chelsea of the time and spent a ton of money to win the league and they totally fell apart after that due to their debt.

Sven can obviously manage at a high level but he is a mercenary and a bit of a joke !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What's a physict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

mike65 wrote: »
    Citeh!

tis funny, that he is the perfect manager for them in their current position alright.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    He was one of England's most succesful managers ever, lost only 5 competitive matches and got dumped out on penalty shoot outs. He's a great manager

Agree,excellent manager.

Dignity Moyes isn't even comparable. Laughable to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just to clarify:

* Göteborg
    o UEFA Cup Winners 1982
    * Benfica
    * Roma
    * Sampdoria
    * Lazio
    o Serie A Champions 2000

Yeah, but besides the above, what has he achieved in the game??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

>>>>

He's been managing England since. He's a complete failure and a sh!t manager because he didn't World Cup or Euro Championships???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They'd do very well to get him. The problem with their future seems to be that none of the players want to stay. A manager of his calibre would probably do a fair deal to halt that.

My thoughts exactly. Our current manager is only in the job until the end of the season, when he will return to his role as youth team manager. Here's hoping

Not after McLaren came in they won't. People now appreciate how good he was. I think it is also worth noting how quick a turn around he achieved at man City, until they remembered they were Man City that is.

I still think getting rid of him and getting Mark Hughes in was a massive cock up on their behalf.

I still think getting rid of him and getting Mark Hughes in was a massive cock up on their behalf.

+1, Sven did a great job at Citeh last year, until as you say, they remembered they were City.
    If it came to it I'd much rather Sven as manager than Sparky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Does anyone else think x_in_the_city and dreamer75 must be the same person or something? They're both talking nonsense and are thanking and agreeing only with each other...

I'd prefer there were two people capable of making me giggle so much but I'm not convinced :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

agree 100%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement