Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower ?

• 02-04-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

My electric shower has stoped working. Do I need someone to fit a new one or is it a diy job ? Where will I get the best deal on a new one ? Anyone do nixers ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

more info ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

steifanc wrote: »
    more info ?
    What info do you want ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

type of shower ?
    electric,
    instant ? ect .
    whats not working
    what happend ,

Its a Triton electric shower,its about 7 years old.
    Very little water coming out of it,
    When I used it this morning it was going very hot and very cold, would not hold a constant temp.
    Now its not doing much at all. When you turn it on it just trickles cold water.
    There is a low pressure warning light but its not coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Low pressure can often be a result of lime scale and hard water. The shower possibly just needs to be cleaned internally, and also clean the head. The head itself is a very common problem. Leaving it in vinegar/descaler over night can do a great job.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Low pressure can often be a result of lime scale and hard water. The shower possibly just needs to be cleaned internally, and also clean the head. The head itself is a very common problem. Leaving it in vinegar/descaler over night can do a great job.

Do you think it might be just blocked ? There is a lot of limescale on the shower head..

Yes quite possibly thats all it is. I mean inside aswell as just the head though

Davy wrote: »
    Yes quite possibly thats all it is. I mean inside aswell as just the head though

Do I just cut off the power/water and open it up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

cut the power and open it up, there should be a twisty thing inside, open it and clean out the filter. its possible its blocked. if its all black inside and that doesnt work then your better off getting a new onw considering its 7 years old

cut the power and open it up, there should be a twisty thing inside, open it and clean out the filter. its possible its blocked. if its all black inside and that doesnt work then your better off getting a new onw considering its 7 years old
    Ill try that in the morning, if that does not work is it easy to replace it with a new one ?

• Advertisement

I would clean the head first before doing anything inside the unit itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MS.MONEYPENNY

I had this problem with limescale, and it sounds very similar to yours(same make), it would run hot/cold or not at all and make a weird sound. Now I descale the shower head every fortnight and it works fine. If it was a problem with the thermostat I don't think it would heat the water at all, and from what I've heard that's usually the first thing to go on them...Just a pain having hard water:(

Thanks, Ill have a go cleaning the head first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MS.MONEYPENNY

When your cleaning the head let the water run through the hose without the head for a minute or two, sometimes there are larger pieces of scale caught in the hose....happy cleaning :)

The shower is working this morning :confused: Might just be low water pressure ? I tried taking the head of but couldnt remove it. I also took the front cover off but could not see a filter.
    I think Ill replace the shower soon, looks like just 3 wires and two mounting screws.

most shower would not be fed from the mains most are fed from the tank.

Shower can be a simple change over just try to get the same size etc.

My shower has given up, just a tricle of very cold water.
    Anyone know where is cheapest to buy a replacement ? Its a Triton T80si.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I think the 80si is mains water fed and the 90 is fed from a tank in the attic. The 80si seems to give more trouble.

Try Chadwicks or Kellihers or Eurosales.

BTW you can get them serviced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Indian Princess

2qk4u wrote: »
    My shower has given up, just a tricle of very cold water.
    Anyone know where is cheapest to buy a replacement ? Its a Triton T80si.

I will prob be lashed outofit for this but my BF's shower broke a couple of months back and she got her replacement in Argos in Newry for bout E100. They sell Triton showers but not to sure of the models, but they had a good few Triton showers. If its not to far for you, you can check on their UK website, I think the postal code for Newry is BT34, to check n reserve. Hope this helps:)

Im confused now.... the shower is working fine again.. Would it just be a case of low water pressure ?

• Advertisement

Im confused now.... the shower is working fine again.. Would it just be a case of low water pressure ?
    Anyone ?

Its quite possible if its fine now and its a mains fed shower. Rare though

Its happened a couple of times now, how do I find out if it mains fed ? get myself up in the attic and trace the pipes ?

Its happened a couple of times now, how do I find out if it mains fed ? get myself up in the attic and trace the pipes ?

Well checking the model number will tell you, but to be 100% sure yes checking the pipework. It would be easy to spot. The main incoming pipe, either copper or hyrodare if a newer installation. Their would be a tee off it before it reaches the storage tank.

You could also turn off the mains, possible under the kitchen sink and then if the shower doesnt run cold water through it its mains fed. If it wasnt the water would come from the tank presuming its full. Dont run to much water dont want to cause an airlock if its fed from the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

When you opened the shower up did it look all black on the inside of the cover.it can look like its been on fire but its just the carbon from the brushes on the motor and on a shower 7 years old i would say they are nicely worn so this could be the issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

I will prob be lashed outofit for this but my BF's shower broke a couple of months back and she got her replacement in Argos in Newry for bout E100. They sell Triton showers but not to sure of the models, but they had a good few Triton showers. If its not to far for you, you can check on their UK website, I think the postal code for Newry is BT34, to check n reserve. Hope this helps:)

If you buy plumbing gear from the uk keep in mind their pipe fittings sizes are differant from ours.

Advertisement