Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Council stop building?

• 02-04-2009 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi, a client of mine received a letter fro the town council requesting her to stop building on an extension that complies to all aspects of exemped development. Their reason for stopping the development is 'the extension seems to be consistently bigger than the proposal shown on the original sketches which were submitted by you'.

Before I became involved the builder submitted some sketches which I later re-designed. As the extension is exempt from planning we didn't submit any further sketches to the council for their approval or otherwise.

My queries are, firstly, can they stop construction without ckecking the floor area for themselves and secondly, are we obliged to provide a full set of drawings to them?

The kitchen units being delivered tomorrow so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I presume its a warning letter rather than an actual enforcement notice that was sent. Either way you'd be well advised to stop the work until such time as a final determination can be made on the issue. They obviously had some valid reason for requesting the works to be ceased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Sounds like somebody complained. I'd also guess that the council had someone out at the site to measure the works completed to date. I'd talk to enforcement and see what your next course of action is - probably need to lodge a set of drawings and get them to decide if it's still exempt and issue a declaration if it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 HeatLoad

I have measued the work and it falls well within exemption requirements. I have since discovered that the client has not been totally honest with me. Before I got involved she was asked to verify locations of the watermain and common drains before starting to build. She conveniently failed to inform me of this letter and 'forgot' to tell me that the council made reference to this in their most recent letter. Anyway I've spoken to the sanitary engineer and he is happy to allow building to commence as soon as the information is received.

Thanks for your comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Don't be afraid to tell them why you think it is an exempted development. They may ask you for that in writing and allow you to continue. (this has happened me before).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

HeatLoad wrote: »
    I have measued the work and it falls well within exemption requirements.
    Dont forget about the height, position of windows, open space area etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

muffler wrote: »
    Dont forget about the height, position of windows, open space area etc etc

+1

theres a lot more conditions to be met in order to be considered exempt, other than floor area....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 HeatLoad

theres a lot more conditions to be met in order to be considered exempt, other than floor area....

I am aware of that, thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

fair enough, but you DID post the query

"can they stop construction without checking the floor area for themselves?"

Advertisement