Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Assistance Fund?

Options
  • 02-04-2009 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi, I'm studying in my first year at DkIT (don't laugh) and hopefully I will be transfering into second year to DIT. But there's no point in me planning that far ahead if I can't get the student assistance fund. I don't qualify for the maintanence grant due to family issues, I don't speak to them and vice versa and I'm under 23 so I'm technically not "a mature student".

I just want to hear from anyone on the fund or who's knows about, mainly is it likely I can get it? and how much am I likely to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that you will be offered a "clean" transfer. A "clean" (I call it clean ;)) transfer from first year of one course to second year of DIT course is where you successfully transfer and you don't have to do some modules from first year of your new course, on top of your second year modules.

You should apply to CAO for first year of the course, as you'll have a much better guarantee of getting in. In addition, you will be exempt from certain modules, if they are similar to the ones that you've studies in DkIT

Once you apply to your course in DIT, you should sort out your student assistance fund with DIT administration. They will help you in this respect. The college itself has a scheme and I suggest that you check it out. It still exists and it might actually help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Hey thanks for the transfer stuff but I've been talking to Louis Armstrong, no I'm not crazy he's the head of department and I should be ok to get a "clean transfer" as you would say. But if I have to do an extra module or two I'll be fine with that since they are likely to be easy ones. I do science so labs are generally identical throughout the country and they're the most important part.

I'm really just worried about money. I can't quailfy for all the regular grants like the TLT VEC grant that most get since I can't get P60's or anything like that from the folks and I probably won't be able to get a job easily or at all (Grrr recession). The only way I make money is through maths grinds at the moment so I'm not exactly rolling in it. It's really annoying 'cause I probably need the grants the most and I'm the only group that the grants don't cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi JenniFurr,

You're in a bit of a sticky situation alright, BUT if you can't get the grant due to your aforementioned family issues, the SAF people in DIT are very understanding, and if you explain your situation to them, they could still help you.

They use eligibility for the grant as a quick way of means-testing students; if you qualify for the grant, then you qualify for the SAF - BUT - it doesn't work the other way. If you don't qualify for the grant, it doesn't necessarily mean you don't qualify for the SAF.

DITSU, members of the counselling team, the Mature Student Support Officer (me) and many other members of the student and staff populations of DIT can help you out in your application. The SAF provides assistance for rent, class materials, books, travel, childcare and much more.

When you get to DIT *fingers crossed*, pop into your local DITSU office and ask them about the SAF - they'll be happy to help.

Info on the 2008/09 SAF:

http://www.dit.ie/campuslife/studentsupport/

Best wishes,

Bob

Thanks for all the info ditmature,

So if I get in and fill out forms and such quick enough and I explain my situation I probably, and I stress the probably, will get some money to help me?

I know nothing is a certainty but it's better than nothing at all. I just know I won't be able to go to college if I can't get some sort of assistance, well a lot of asisstance!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

JenniFurr wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info ditmature,

So if I get in and fill out forms and such quick enough and I explain my situation I probably, and I stress the probably, will get some money to help me?

I know nothing is a certainty but it's better than nothing at all. I just know I won't be able to go to college if I can't get some sort of assistance, well a lot of asisstance!

That's usually the case, yes, but of course I can't guarantee whether you'll get the SAF or not (not my decision), but we can certainly make a strong case for you.

Bob

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help ditmature. Hopefully when I get to DIT it'll be the first thing I do... hopefully :(

Advertisement