Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In uniform at long last...

• 02-04-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Ive been in the RDF since september and ive finally been issued my uniform, man am i happy today :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

Have you cleared a space on the mantlepiece yet??biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Congratulations, I remember how excited I was when I finally got mine. With the way things are going, you might be one of the last recruits in the RDF for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭ak51535

congrats man, ive also been in since september, done my medical last week, just waiting for them to come back and then get sworn in, can't wait!
    a few of the lads failed their hearing tests, do many fail the other (general) medical?

I think the hearing test fails a lot more than the medical, at a guess. Most people who fail would probably do so because of the colour vision test or sometimes the height restriction.

oh right, yeah i thought that, erm sorry one more Q em how long do the medicals take to come back?

Havent a clue sorry, I don't remember anything having to come back from mine, thought it was pretty much done and dusted on the spot. I can't think what part of it requires checking, any ideas yourself???

• Advertisement

i was talkin to the cadre, he said that it has to be signed off by an army doctor as the doctor who did ours was a civilian one. I assume about a few weeks lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Congrats , wont be long before you have 2 and 3 stars shoulder patch .

OK then, you're given a medical grading, as far as i remember is something like ##-##-### with the hashes being numbers. 2 of these correspond to the year of your birth, not sure about the others but I think one is hearing grade. Unfortunately only an army doctor can give one, as you were told. Its very simple to work out I think. But since this is the army, there's no knowing how long it could take. Probably no more than a couple of weeks at the most.
    Latchy wrote: »
    Congrats , wont be long before you have 2 and 3 stars shoulder patch .

Now he'll be confused when he sees everyone else going around with them on their chest!!!tongue.gif

oh right, ok thanks pmg58, say it'll be a while :pac:

Well it shouldn't be too long in theory, but having met one or two army doctors....you may end up learning what "hurry up and wait" means at a very early stage. Any other questions?

• Advertisement

haha yeah i think i will too lol. Well just one more since i have the chance, my friend wear glasses he wants to join the naval reserve, will they actually stop him if his eyes are bad? (that was the last question :pac:)

Plenty of people in the reserves wear glasses. I don't know if the NSR have different standards or anything, but as long as his eyesight isn't too bad he should be fine.

But I'd say his chances of getting into the NSR at this time of year are slim, if its anything like the Army Reserve. Its really too late now to recruit people for the summer, he could try in September, assuming they're recruiting then, which they may not be with all the budget cuts.

yeah i thought that, plus i'd say recruitment will be stopped relatively soon with things going the way they're going, well thanks for all the info its much appreciated.

No worries, glad to help out. Theres a thread here that you might find useful: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055519848

And make sure you let us know how you get on too.

ok, i'll check that out, ah yeah i'lll be sure to post my own "in uniform at long last" thread when i get it :pac:

pmg58 wrote: »
    Now he'll be confused when he sees everyone else going around with them on their chest!!!tongue.gif
    Yeah I know they were them on their chest but dont they also wear shoulder patches ? .

ak51535 wrote: »
    ok, i'll check that out, ah yeah i'lll be sure to post my own "in uniform at long last" thread when i get it :pac:

maybe we could ask the mods for a subforum, with a pics or gtfo rule??pacman.gif

On the DPM (camouflage) uniform, rank is worn by everyone on the chest. On the older green combats rank was worn on the shoulders by enlisted personnel and on the epaulettes by officers. (Im not that old, ive seen the pictures biggrin.gif) Its still worn like this on the formal/dress uniform, which is actually called the No.1 or No.2 uniform (basically the same uniform with a few differences, No.1 is for ceremonies so has a white belt and gloves for enlisted etc.)

No.1 is for ceremonies so has a white belt and gloves for enlisted etc.)
    I was refering to the No .1 but we also wore them on green cloth shoulder epaulettes on our combats ( No .2 )

Different era :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

pmg58 wrote: »
    maybe we could ask the mods for a subforum, with a pics or gtfo rule??pacman.gif

On the DPM (camouflage) uniform, rank is worn by everyone on the chest. On the older green combats rank was worn on the shoulders by enlisted personnel and on the epaulettes by officers. (Im not that old, ive seen the pictures biggrin.gif) Its still worn like this on the formal/dress uniform, which is actually called the No.1 or No.2 uniform (basically the same uniform with a few differences, No.1 is for ceremonies so has a white belt and gloves for enlisted etc.)

On the first point, I doubt they would allow it given they know the rules regarding photo's in Uniform.

The second point.

Officers wear their Rank on their Shoulders because the weight of the responsibility of the DF rests on their Shoulders. This is done in No. 1's.]
    Enlisted wear their Rank on their Arms because they do the heavy lifting.

Good stuff on getting your Uniforms lads. Long time to be waiting!!! I was only waiting 3 months from the first day I went up to get mine!!! :D

On the first point, I doubt they would allow it given they know the rules regarding photo's in Uniform.

I wasn't being serious..guess I should have used this: rolleyes.gif
    I seriously doubt the mods want loads of similar threads on the matter.

3 months!!!!!!!! Nice for some, you dont even want to know how long i was waiting.

by the way, to clear up any confusion, by shoulders i meant high up on the arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

where can you buy name strips and the likes? Also webbing and cefo etc etc?

Been told ill be waitin a few years for em so i mite aswell get em piece by piece myself...

Evd-Burner wrote: »

Been told ill be waitin a few years for em so i mite aswell get em piece by piece myself...

Whatever you do dont go wasting hundreds of euro on cefo and the like right now. Youll be issued most of what you need, even name tags eventually if you keep on asking for them.

If and when you need cefo and other kit like that, you will be issued it. There are other items youll have to buy yourself that might make llife easier during tactics etc, but you definitely wont need this as a recruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

The only thing you'll be needing to buy would be the likes of Bungees and Para-Cord and polish. And even then your not going to need them till your out on the ground. Most of my lads got issued Magnums, but if you havn't been given magnums, try sort out a decent pair of boots.

Nowadays you get issued full CEFO/MO when needed. The amount of gear we're getting is fantastic from Bivvie bags to Haix.

Your NCO's should be telling you these things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Don't go down the road of buying all the kit. Recruits do it every year and its a waist of money. If you have a name tag and no onone else does then you will be given more jobs to do, trust me!

Your better off waiting a couple of years and picking the small bits and pieces you will need up over time. You will be told what you will need for recruit camp and CEFO/CEMO and name tags arn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭target assassin

Rew wrote: »
    Don't go down the road of buying all the kit. Recruits do it every year and its a waist of money. If you have a name tag and no onone else does then you will be given more jobs to do, trust me!

Your better off waiting a couple of years and picking the small bits and pieces you will need up over time. You will be told what you will need for recruit camp and CEFO/CEMO and name tags arn't.[/QUOTE

dead right, besides after u have done some training you will figure out whats really useful

whats the worst type of nco?? ...... one that knows your name!!! lol

any who gratz buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

what's the worst type of nco?? ......

One with a cherry berry (MP/PA) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Congrats.

Wear it with pride and just remember that many a great soldier wears and has worn the same one, so never disgrace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

And don't put pictures of ya posing in it on bebo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

and dont wear it out on halloween night, as ive seen many eejits from the RDF do.
    it is illegal and it degrades the uniform.

• Advertisement

TomRooney wrote: »
    and dont wear it out on halloween night, as ive seen many eejits from the RDF do.
    it is illegal and it degrades the uniform.

Finally, something I can agree with you about. However, remember, there are eejits in PDF too. (Look at Pocc for example :P)

lol I went in my airsoft gear for halloween, I already know not to wear the uniform out...

I got magnum boots issued to me, man they are seriously comfortable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

lol I went in my airsoft gear for halloween, I already know not to wear the uniform out...

I got magnum boots issued to me, man they are seriously comfortable...

Its like walking on clouds,them Magnums are!

I hate Magnums, I never wear them unless all my other boots are dirty.

Poccington wrote: »

:confused::confused:Why?

:confused::confused:Why?

I agree with Pocc, I don't really like magnums, they are useless and definitely not fit for anything except around the Barracks, hense why they are called "Barrack Boots".

I love my Haix Safe Toe, comfortable, warm, waterproof, and Kick ass. I actually have 2 pairs!!! 1 issued, the other is Buckshee.

• Advertisement

I agree with Pocc, I don't really like magnums, they are useless and definitely not fit for anything except around the Barracks, hense why they are called "Barrack Boots".

I love my Haix Safe Toe, comfortable, warm, waterproof, and Kick ass. I actually have 2 pairs!!! 1 issued, the other is Buckshee.

Probaly a case of me not knowing any better!:P

I only have 1 pair of boots and their Magnums so I cant really comment on any other types.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

you'll wear parades before you wear mags then Pocc?:confused:

I don't mind mags for barrack use but tactics forget about it! Invest (or get issued [unlikely from tomorrow]) in a good pair of boots for tactics.

To keep them like clouds you have to keep moving in them though from what I find prolonged standing to attention or at ease and you'll agree with me (hopefully). pain in the foot:p

i agree with the name tags don't wear them unless everyone has them. you get away with no jobs for longer and DON'T make eye contact when they're looking for volunteers either. i 've done that:(.

About buying gear i went a little nuts at first and it's still ongoing but if you do ask your corporals on what you need and what would be nice to have. and with buying webbing it's handy cause you can get it to fit you properly and you don't have to mess with the ones you get from stores when you need it. but that's personal preference tbh

where would ye get the webbing the that were supposed to use?

you'll wear parades before you wear mags then Pocc?:confused:

I had Parade Boots for the whole duration of Recruit Training and wore them for my first Glen Phase, Battle PT's etc.... They're a lot better than Magnums.

I had Parade Boots for the whole duration of Recruit Training and wore them for my first Glen Phase, Battle PT's etc.... They're a lot better than Magnums.

I'm still a mag man myself btut i only got parades recently and i think they're a pain to tie and have one or two other things against them. but i'll get back to you after their first day's out. my mind is open to change!:)

• Advertisement

I'm still a mag man myself btut i only got parades recently and i think they're a pain to tie and have one or two other things against them. but i'll get back to you after their first day's out. my mind is open to change!:)

My advice to you would be... Avoid both :p

Whenever the funds are available, get yourself a proper pair of boots.

i agree totaly, once you break in the parade boots there like a nice pair of slippers, hiax and magnum me bo***x.

saying that i did buy a pair of Mendels, 270 euro, not cheap but i have them 4 years and there still like brand new,
    also i believe parade boots even un-bulled look a hell of a lot smarter than magnums.

Finally, something I can agree with you about. However, remember, there are eejits in PDF too. (Look at Pocc for example :P)

there are many eejits in the PDF but i have never seen or heard of any PDF wearing there uniform out on social outings or halloween (maybe because they hate the sight of the thing), i have however seen many RDF do it, i understand the novelty of it all may get them a bit excited but there is never a reason outside work/duty that it should be worn.

there are many eejits in the PDF but i have never seen or heard of any PDF wearing there uniform out on social outings or halloween (maybe because they hate the sight of the thing), i have however seen many RDF do it, i understand the novelty of it all may get them a bit excited but there is never a reason outside work/duty that it should be worn.

I have seen a few lads, young always who are just in the PDF, that haven't gotten over the novelty of being in the Army. Personally, It's not for me. Don't even wearing it going to and from training, unless I am getting a spin off someone going directly in.

I do know a few lads who wear it simply around town, even though they haven't been up to RDF in a while, and they get a nice earful everytime I see them, shaming them into changing.

I actually saw one PDF Lad last halloween wearing some CBRN kit as well. (or do the PDF still call it NBC? I feckin hate alphabet soup.)

I actually saw one PDF Lad last halloween wearing some CBRN kit as well. (or do the PDF still call it NBC? I feckin hate alphabet soup.)

officialy i believe it is CBRN, but i believe it will always be known as Nuclear Biological Chemical, on the ground.

My advice to you would be... Avoid both :p

Whenever the funds are available, get yourself a proper pair of boots.

I did:P I have Meindls for tactics. Mags for barracks and parades for when I need them. I also have a pair of the old tac boots not matterhorns the ones before them I think.

Personally i believe that parades should be kept with the no.1's cause imo dpm's and parades look strange. Yes vainity before you say it:p and i just opened myself for a torrent of abuse!:pac:

Rooney if you want to get rid of your haix i'll gladly take them off you!

i hate seeing people wear the uniform for haloween it cheapens it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

How exactly do you distinguish them (unless they are wearing their berets...which I have never seen).

Theres muppets who do it on both sides of the DF divide so lets not generalize here.

When I was working in town every Halloween I had muppets coming up to the door in DPM. And in my experience it was a relatively even spread. Emphasised when a gaggle of lads in DPM some of whom with various items of CBRN gear came up to the door. The majority of whom where proudly sporting tattoos detailing their allegiance to a certain City PDF unit. I promptly ensued to refuse them:D and put out a call for all the clubs on the net to refuse them!

I also know of an RDF walt muppet who changed into his DPMs every week and goes straight to the pub got langered. Talking about all his training ironic considering he hadn't paraded in over a year...tosser

My biggest gripe is with those skater/emo/hippy b*stards who wear the smock.

Bumped into one particularly horrendous fool in the local siopa with eyeliner, ultra camp emo style haircut with 12ft fringe. Numerous piercings and badges all over the smock.

He'd also drawn RIP into the overseas tri-colour.

Needless to say my blood boiled and a heated exchange (well primarily one-sided profanity hurling:p) ensued.

Would of got on to the Garda if I thought anything would of been done about it. I got his second name that his mate let slip and will be on to his brother to let him know all about it.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    How exactly do you distinguish them (unless they are wearing their berets...which I have never seen).

Theres muppets who do it on both sides of the DF divide so lets not generalize here.

When I was working in town every Halloween I had muppets coming up to the door in DPM. And in my experience it was a relatively even spread. Emphasised when a gaggle of lads in DPM some of whom with various items of CBRN gear came up to the door. The majority of whom where proudly sporting tattoos detailing their allegiance to a certain City PDF unit. I promptly ensued to refuse them:D and put out a call for all the clubs on the net to refuse them!

I also know of an RDF walt muppet who changed into his DPMs every week and goes straight to the pub got langered. Talking about all his training ironic considering he hadn't paraded in over a year...tosser

My biggest gripe is with those skater/emo/hippy b*stards who wear the smock.

Bumped into one particularly horrendous fool in the local siopa with eyeliner, ultra camp emo style haircut with 12ft fringe. Numerous piercings and badges all over the smock.

He'd also drawn RIP into the overseas tri-colour.

Needless to say my blood boiled and a heated exchange (well primarily one-sided profanity hurling:p) ensued.

Would of got on to the Garda if I thought anything would of been done about it. I got his second name that his mate let slip and will be on to his brother to let him know all about it.

WHEN I WAS DOING THE DOOR AROUND TOWN, i distiguished them by asking them were they got the uniform from and why were they wearing it out and about degrading it and 9 times out of 10 they would say, "im in the army" then i would say...realy....what unit, to which they would usualy answer with some RDF unit to which i would reply you are not "IN" the Army you clown and it is illegal to wear that uniform around like that spilling beer on it and getting sick all over it, then they would say "ah relax man, its only a bit of craic, to which i would say...Realy well gis a look at your I.D, then i would read there name and say, mm ill remember that I`ll be reporting you to your unit on monday morning for wearing the uniform while out drinking, and you wont be coming in tonight, then they would panic not knowing if i was serious or not.

i never bothered my arse reporting them but i hope they got the point.

although there are some decent Lads in the RDF, they would have nowhere near the level of self discipline most Pro soldiers would have, hence they slip up more often.

i never bothered my arse reporting them but i hope they got the point.

There are people who do however!! And I know that for a fact. (Not me, but I know someone who got caught on it!!!:D)

Oh, and while I hate your political Beliefs more than you can know, I am agreeing with alot of this.

There are people who do however!! And I know that for a fact. (Not me, but I know someone who got caught on it!!!:D)

Oh, and while I hate your political Beliefs more than you can know, I am agreeing with alot of this.

i think it is a bit silly to HATE someones political beliefs, I must say i disagree with your political beliefs but hate is a bit strong of a word.

• Advertisement
Advertisement