Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs saved from the pound

Options
  • 03-04-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Ashton Pound is now full to the brim and there are 11 dogs in danger of being put to sleep tomorrow - all are lovely dogs. Photos and descriptions of dogs are below, if you can rehome one of these dogs, please go to Ashton Pound with thier reference number an fill in a request form ASAP.

If you can offer a foster home for one (or more) of these dogs, please fill in a foster form in the “Forms & Downloads” section of this site and email it back to fostering@dogsindistress.org ASAP. If you have already fostered for us, please contact Marie on 0862573180 or Sarah on 0863570580 with your offer. Thank You.

<H3>Betty - Ref: 285

Betty is a young Staffie. She is a lovely dog, very friendly and stunning.
    Marchdoggie5.jpg
    Gypsy - Ref:
    Gypsy is a young Bearded Collie x. He was terrified when he first entered the pound but is now blossoming. Good with other dogs, very quiet dog.
    Marchpoundie17.jpg
    Lucy - Ref: 286
    Lucy is a young Lab, very friendly and loves cuddles and attention. She is good with other dogs.
    Marchdoggie12.jpg
    Sam - Ref: 85
    Sam is a 1 year old Lab x. He is great with other dogs and will make a loyal companion. Very friendly.
    Febdoglet1-1.jpg
    Bouncer - Ref: 263
    Bouncer is a great guy, very obediant and good on lead. He has 2 growths that need to be removed but they dont affect him at all.
    263_boxer_M_19-24.jpg
    Molly - Ref:
    Molly is 2 years old, and is spayed and vaccinated. She is a very quiet dog who knows basic commands. Would make a great family pet and is small in size.
    Marchdog11.jpg
    Drift - Ref: 260
    Drift is a cool dude, very laid back and quiet. Takes everything in his stride and is no trouble at all.
    Marchdog27.jpg
    Max - Ref: 243
    Max is a great fella, only young and friendly. Great with other dogs and smallish in size.
    Marchdogs12.jpg
    Rush - Ref: 253
    Rush is a lively, gorgeous boy. Great with other dogs and loves his walks.
    Marchdogs14.jpg
    Nessie - Ref: 257
    Nessie is a very affectionate girl, loves cuddles and other dogs.
    Marchdog20.jpg
    Holly - Ref: 198
    Holly is a lovely dog, very lovable and sweet.
    Marchpoundie20.jpg
    </H3>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

It always rips me up to see appeals like this. If only we had more room in our small house (we have two already, one a DID rescue) we would help one of these poor fellas out. I hope at least some of these beautiful dogs can be saved.

I hate to even think that some if not all of these healthy, fun and loving animals could be not breathing by the end of today, when they could be sitting in front of a fire in someones home. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

This is so sad. I wish I could take one of these guys, but we already have two rescues ( taken of the death row as well) and could not take anymore. I really hope there are people out there with big hearts to resue those doggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

So sad to see this, unfortunatly I have two already and can't take another. One of ours was a rescue not from a shelter though from a train tracks in Dublin , some lovely person took her to the train station and tied her up on the lines, we couldn't believe it when we seen it she wasn't much bigger than a puppy about 10 months old. So we had to jump down and cut her loose and get her back up, she was so nervous of people but we got her back to the house and have had her ever since, she's a whippet.

Anyway, I hope somebody will help one of these dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I just got on to DID. I am going up to Ashton tomorrow to pick up Nessie. I am taking her for a week. I will let you all know how I get on with her.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

That has absolutely broken my heart :( All such beautiful dogs. God this country drives me crazy. 500 dogs put to sleep in Scotland last year, pales in comparison to the thousands in Ireland every year :mad:

Can I just ask, on the dogs in distress website, the dogs that are on the dogs up for rehoming list, are they in the pound or in foster/rescue care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

the dogs in urgent action needed are still in the pound, the dogs and pups needing homes are in fostercare and you need to in contact with DID to adopt them.

I collected Bessie this morning from Ashton. She was a bit nervous at first but after getting home, having a bath and a good meal, she is snoozing happily on my couch. She is a real pet and loves cuddles. When you lift your hand, she cowers.:mad: She is a beautiful girl. Thanks, Kazza for the heads up. Would hate to think what would have happened to her!!!

picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=2693

picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=2694

picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=2692

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What's the average length of time that people keep dogs?

Thinking of fostering one of the poor things.

Also, noticed this thread was started yesterday. Is time nearly up?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

she is a beauty lauragoesmad, wanted to take her myself but cant have another dog at the moment. well done for getting her out, wanted to post the appeal here as I knew if anyone could help they would be here!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well done lauragoesmad, glad she got out to safety.

I think DID managed to get all of the featured dogs out, with a huge effort from their volunteers, and people like kazza for spreading the message far and wide. Well done to everyone involved. Unfortunately the same situation will probably arise again in the not too distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I just got on to DID. I am going up to Ashton tomorrow to pick up Nessie. I am taking her for a week. I will let you all know how I get on with her.:)

Wel done, I'd have went for Holly.

But I've a DiD rescue already plus his buddy so I was stuck for space atm.

I'm going to spend a wad on pet foods tomorrow for my guys, PM me if you'd like me to throw something into the basket for your foster guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hoggibear

does anybody know what the situation is with Sam? dog no. 85, i was in the pound with him yersterday for an hour and filled out a form to re-home him, is he due to be re-homed already???:( he's a smashing dog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

ISDW wrote: »
    Well done lauragoesmad, glad she got out to safety.

I think DID managed to get all of the featured dogs out, with a huge effort from their volunteers, and people like kazza for spreading the message far and wide. Well done to everyone involved. Unfortunately the same situation will probably arise again in the not too distant future.

Wow, that is such great news! You have put a smile on my face (not an easy thing to do on a Monday morning). :D

Unfortunately, as you say the same situation will arise again......but I suppose you can only take each situation as it comes, and at least the great dogs above were helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Anyone know what happened to Drift (Ref 260). I think he's a handsome dog. The nicest I've seen in a while. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

TigerTim wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to Drift (Ref 260). I think he's a handsome dog. The nicest I've seen in a while. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Tim

I agree with you. Very handsome fella. I think he has a very cheeky look about him though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

TigerTim wrote: »

Tim

DID got him out into foster care.

Check out the dogs in distress website for info on all the dogs in Ashton, and those that they have managed to get out to safety and that are available for rehoming.

I brought Bessie to St Annes this morning for a long walk. She was a model doggie greeting everyone we passed with a wag of her tail. It was very funny though. I saw a man there who usually says hello to me when I am walking my boarders but today he gave me an evil look and then eyed Bessie out of it.:mad:
    She was so good, that I had to stop at the petshop on the way home and get her a pigs ear! She really is a brilliant dog! I really don't want to give her up now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

I completed and sent an adoption form to the email address on the DID site expressing an interest in taking one of the dogs on the site and didn't even get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

nc6000 wrote: »
    I completed and sent an adoption form to the email address on the DID site expressing an interest in taking one of the dogs on the site and didn't even get a response.

Be patient. You will get a response.
    Dogs in Distress is a voluntary organisation and they are up to their eyes in it.

I rescued a dog from them a year anda half ago, and then took on a foster who was about to be put to sleep 7 months ago. Of course I fell in love with my foster dog and he is now ours. I have four dogs all in, so I couldn't foster one of these babies, but I'm delighted to hear all are in foster.

Nice to see a happy ending.

Bessie looks great laura. Will keep an eye out for you in the park.;)

• Advertisement

I brought Bessie to St Annes this morning for a long walk. She was a model doggie greeting everyone we passed with a wag of her tail. It was very funny though. I saw a man there who usually says hello to me when I am walking my boarders but today he gave me an evil look and then eyed Bessie out of it.:mad:
    She was so good, that I had to stop at the petshop on the way home and get her a pigs ear! She really is a brilliant dog! I really don't want to give her up now.:(

This is brilliant Laura, the good girl Nessie deserved her pigs ear (the smelliest things ever, what is it about them that dogs love them so much?) and she clearly deserves a chance for a good life. I am glad to hear that yet again another staffie proves that their reputation is a misconception and they are not bad, aggressive dogs by nature! Good luck and keep us updated!

I've just moved in to a new apartment and the last tenants left a load of old duvets behind. They're a bit stained and old but they're in fine condition otherwise, just wondering instead of dumping them if there's anywhere I can bring them for animals? Would DID or Ashtown pound be in need of bedding? Like I said, they're not perfect but I don't think the dogs would mind too much?! If anyone knows let me know and I can take them down there at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

ashton pound are usually very grateful of bedding donations (and treats for the doggies if anyone can spare a few) I've often gone up and dropped off bedding. Im sure they'll be delighted with it.

tesslab wrote: »
    ashton pound are usually very grateful of bedding donations (and treats for the doggies if anyone can spare a few) I've often gone up and dropped off bedding. Im sure they'll be delighted with it.

Great! Thanks, will drop them up at the weekend :)

Sam (no. 85) is now safe and sound! and very very HAPPY :D:D:D, thats all down to the help i got from Marie and DogsInDistress, here he is just after I got home last night, will post more pics soon.... He's such a good dog, and im chuffed that after a couple of days worrying about him after i saw him in the pound & on the appeal he's now safe and sound,without the help from D.I.D hate to think what was gonna happen to him,he now has all the sleep,food and play he could want , happy days! :D:D:D;)

(p.s, he seems to love blue rope!!:rolleyes:)

hoggibear wrote: »
    Sam (no. 85) is now safe and sound! and very very HAPPY :D:D:D, thats all down to the help i got from Marie and DogsInDistress, here he is just after I got home last night, will post more pics soon.... He's such a good dog, and im chuffed that after a couple of days worrying about him after i saw him in the pound & on the appeal he's now safe and sound,without the help from D.I.D hate to think what was gonna happen to him,he now has all the sleep,food and play he could want , happy days! :D:D:D;)

(p.s, he seems to love blue rope!!:rolleyes:)

This is fantastic hoggibear, Sam is very lucky to have caught your attention. He is a good looking dog and its great to see him happy!

as i said above folks, a few more pics Sam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clofty

Fair play to you hoggibear. Sam is a very handsome doggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Anyone on this forum take on Drift. He was marked reserved on the DID website. Just wondering how he's doing.

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

hoggibear wrote: »
    as i said above folks, a few more pics Sam...

Nice seeing another rugby fan doggie!!!

Advertisement