Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopter crash

Options
  • 03-04-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Very sad to hear today that 2 men were killed in the helicopter crash. Also very sad that they only realised till the following day. They say they hit a power cable. Very sad loss of life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

links?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

r.i.p

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Personally I think that the helicopter was after landing in the field and was taking off when it hit the ESB cable....this caused the cable to tangle in the rotor and looking at the way the heli was on the ground.

Just my theory !

PS. I was at the scene yesterday (Thurs)

RIP....sad thing to have happen to any family.

• Advertisement

another pic - closer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Very sad to hear today that 2 men were killed in the helicopter crash. Also very sad that they only realised till the following day. They say they hit a power cable. Very sad loss of life.

All a bit bizarre (the claims and counter claims). The delay is something, surely, that could have been avoided (whether or not that would have any bearing on the loss of life is irrelevant). Hopefully the families get the truth anyway, whatever about the media.

I was told today (1 of many claims) that they were doing a crash landing test. Cut out the engine and try to bring the helicopter down safely. (This obviously from not so high) This is done so that if it happens in real life that you know what to do. I really didn't and still find it hard to believe that one can bring a helicopter down safely with the engine gone. It can't glide. Maybe they were taking the micky out of me to see if I would believe that. :o

I was told today (1 of many claims) that they were doing a crash landing test. Cut out the engine and try to bring the helicopter down safely. (This obviously from not so high) This is done so that if it happens in real life that you know what to do. I really didn't and still find it hard to believe that one can bring a helicopter down safely with the engine gone. It can't glide. Maybe they were taking the micky out of me to see if I would believe that. :o

wouldnt that be done in a simulator ? - for fear of crash/fatalities !

So it is possible to do that??

I was told that was not how it was crashed, they than took off and than hit the cable.
    The gardai say it will take them 6months to find out exactly what happened, until than we can only go on theories and speculation that make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's called an autorotate;

Once the rotors don't stop the heli will glide. The bog of Allen is a spot used frequently for practice autorotations. The engine is not cut out, it is just idled.

Thanks for confirming that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭dara95

R.I.P

Advertisement