Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers allowance claimant worried about applying for rent allowance late.

Options
  • 03-04-2009 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

I have a question about applying for rent allowance. I applied for jobseekers allowance at the end of February, and had my means test three weeks ago. I am 26 and was told I would probably get the maximum weekly payment. I haven't yet received any payments.

I am currently living at home. When queried as to whether I had any rental costs when my means were assessed, I replied that I was not paying rent.

However, my situation has changed. My parents would like to be earning income from my room, and will get in students in the summer unless I can pay rent at that stage. Since I now have someone I know who I can rent with (which would make rent cheap), I have decided to look for an apartment to rent. I could alternatively pay rent to my parents, but would be better off looking for an apartment.

I am concerned that if I apply for rent allowance, that the welfare inspector will reassess my claim for jobseekers allowance based on the fact that I may appear to be forfeiting free accommodation in place of paid accommodation (even though that's not what's really happening).

Has anyone had a similar experience and does anyone know whether there is any possibility that my application would be reassessed due to my going back to them and requesting rent allowance?

The reason I ask is that I could live without rent allowance (though would have to use meagre savings) if there was a risk that applying for it would be detrimental to my claim for JA overall.

Any information or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Hi siogeile,
    Sorry for bumping your post up, I know it's from 6 months ago, but I'm just wondering what worked out for you in the end? I'm in the EXACT same situation as you and was just googling away trying to find out what I should do prior to mentioning it to the welfare, as I don't want to raise any flags suggesting I might have been deceptive when I applied for my JA (I genuinely did intend to stay home with the parents rent-free, but if I need to pay rent to them it would really be better for me to move out...)

If you or anyone else had any feedback on this, I'd be very grateful! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

I also need the answer to this question!

Advertisement