Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this legal?

• 03-04-2009 9:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

So as I've mentioned countless times I'm off to Ibiza this summer.

I'm in the middle of organisinga all my tunes atm - categorising them in alphabetical order under Artist, name, label, genre, time....

I have about 40 cd's which are all cdj ready.........

The vast majority, we'll say, of the tunes are downloaded from speedyshare. I have an account with them so technically I own the music.

I'm thinking of burning these discs, with playlists, and selling them in cd cases for €120 (judging by the amount that people spend on money over there I think this is a more than reasonable price)

The Q is...is this legal?

Beats working in a bar.....

Feel free to delete this post.........

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ha ha sorry dude but just cause you have a speedyshare account does not make it legal. If you download your tunes from beatport etc - then its legal. Making CD's and selling them - afaik is illegal unless you get permission to have it on there.

Are you going to go to jail for it, or is anyone going to care? Probbaly not - but its still illegal.

I'm sure most of the DJ's in Ibiza have a least a few illegally obtained tunes - but i would nto advertise the fact.

There are those who are in it for the music - and those that are in it for the money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

Who are you?

Seeing as though Carl Cox, Laurent Garnier, Erick Morillo et all only charge €20 - €30. Why should we give a nobody €120?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Ha man you know well I am not in this for the money! Just figure it'd beat working in a bar doing ****ty hours...! I only came up with the idea because I burned all my CD's for a mate of mine this way and he paid me the same money......i obviously would't go ott advertising it.....

And mate, i don't think Carl Cox is charging €20 for all his tunes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Who are you?

Seeing as though Carl Cox, Laurent Garnier, Erick Morillo et all only charge €20 - €30. Why should we give a nobody €120?
    hes talking about selling them unmixed im presuming.
    zascar is right,you dont own the tracks they were still downloaded illegally.
    i dont think its a viable business venture to be honest.dont think youll get many people willing to pay that amount of money for someone elses opinion on music especially whe its so easy to get the tracks for free themsleves

Maybe man, though I'm sure anyone into tech-house, techno, minimal like myself would like the look of them.....and the price is pretty good n fairness....

I was just thinking about those black guys over there who make a packet selling **** quality cd's!

• Advertisement

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Maybe man, though I'm sure anyone into tech-house, techno, minimal like myself would like the look of them.....and the price is pretty good n fairness....

I was just thinking about those black guys over there who make a packet selling **** quality cd's!
    true but the guys over there are only selling them for like a tenner.120 is alot of holiday moola

maybe re adjust the price,so its more appealing.it is illegal but everyone is doing illegal things on that island.i dont know how strict they are about piracy over there either

I work in sales man - thats just a starting off figure!

I work in sales man - thats just a starting off figure!

cool,but its still pretty high,would you realistically fork over 120 for some cds from a guy on the side of the street.whats the actual price of the cds.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

Yeah, it's so illegal it's not even funny. On top of that, if you sell to somebody undercover, you could land yourself in serious trouble.
    Piracy is the buzz word these days and, as far as i hear, Ibiza is trying to clean up its act.
    On the other hand, it's probably less risky than travelling over with 1,000 yokes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Who cares if it is or not the chances of actually being prosecuted are remote (the chances of actually selling any in Ibiza either are slim with so many lucky lucky men selling bootleg CD's) id stick to PR work if i were you mate you wont make **** all selling bootleg CD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the price is pretty good n fairness....

the price is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

€120 for a CD. C'mon, man, let that sink in. Considering how cheap it is to download all the songs you want (and no songs that you don't) there's no chance someone will pay that extortionate amount.

Another point, most of your intended customers will not have the facility to play cds, they will most likely have mp3 players or i-pods on their holidays. Unless you intend to sell mainly to DJs with CD decks. In which case anyone in their right mind would already have a cheaper alternative to purchasing their music.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I don't think it just one CD - but its more like 10 or 20 or so - his entire CD's music collection kind of thing. Still mate you'll find it hard pressed to get someone to pay that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

€120 for a sh1t load of illegally downloaded tracks??? Hahahahaha

AND you took that off your friend for the music? Some friend you are. Seriously, you charged your mate €120 for stuff you got free? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Was this thread supposed to go up on Wednesday or something? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Jaysus if i was to charge for my music collection then id be looking at a four figure sum;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ive no problem with personal privacy, but this sorta **** really pisses me off

flynn-dog, why do you think you should be able to sell music other people wrote without their permission to make a few quid? especially since you didnt pay for it in the first place?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement