Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McLaren suspends sporting boss Ryan

• 03-04-2009 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭

Help me get this straight :confused:
    Dave Ryan and Hamilton both went to the Steward's office.. Both Lied, But only one Liar gets suspended??

Why not Suspend Hamilton as well and bring in a proper race driver. AKA De'Larosa ??
    Beats me

McLaren has suspended its sporting director Dave Ryan in the wake of Lewis Hamilton's disqualification from the Australian Grand Prix.

Ryan accompanied Hamilton to the stewards' office after the Melbourne race, and it was during the subsequent hearing over Jarno Trulli and Lewis's safety car incident that the pair were adjudged to have provided 'deliberately misleading' information.

He was suspended from his position this morning, with reports suggesting he then left the Sepang track during practice.

Team boss Martin Whitmarsh paid tribute to Ryan but said the move was inevitable given recent events.

"In my 20-odd years working for McLaren, I doubt if I’ve met a more dedicated individual than Davey," said Whitmarsh.

"He's been an integral part of McLaren since 1974 and has played a crucial role in the team’s many world championship successes since that time.

"However, his role in the events of last Sunday, particularly his dealings with the FIA stewards, has caused serious repercussions for the team, for which we apologise.

"Therefore, I suspended him this morning and he has accepted this.”

Ryan first joined McLaren in 1974 and was promoted to sporting director last year following a long period as team manager.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

How do ya put someone on ignore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

theres a ignore list in your user CP .... never understood the amount of anger that some people seem to hold for lewis ... guess it's what ever floats your boat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

vectra wrote: »
    Why not Suspend Hamilton as well and bring in a proper race driver. AKA De'Larosa ??
    Beats me

Interesting article, and perhaps a strange decision (or perhaps not), but the above was uncalled for.

If De'Larosa was a better driver he'd be in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Mena wrote: »
    Interesting article, and perhaps a strange decision (or perhaps not), but the above was uncalled for.

If De'Larosa was a better driver he'd be in the car.

De'Larosa does NOT lie and cheat

If he was no good then do you honestly think McLaren would have him as their test driver for so many years??
    it is his expertise that developes the car you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It'd be stupid to suspend a world champion driver from your team, so maybe that's why they didn't do it! I'm not a Lewis fan either, but he is one of the best 5 or 6 drivers on the grid, and he fits in perfectly with the team, so he's as good as they can get for their car.
    I reckon this move has more to do with helping to save Lewis's reputation a little by inducing an assumption that Lewis was only followed directions, therefore saving face a little for him. Lewis is one of the faces of the McLaren team, Dave Ryan isn't, so by suspending him it looks like the team have found the person who made the mistake and punished him for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Not? You have analysed every decision he's ever made and every word he's ever said?

That's a bold statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Ryan is expendible (despite 35 years with the team). Hamilton isn't.

Mena wrote: »
    Not? You have analysed every decision he's ever made and every word he's ever said?

That's a bold statement.

On Track he simply races as good as possible and ACCEPT whatever position he finishes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Actually vectra he did both during the spygate scandal and that was proven when emails between him and Alonso surfaced showing them discussing the technical information which had been stolen from Ferrari.

You seriously need to cop on because you are just making a fool of yourself on this forum. Can you at least try to be objective?

Actually vectra he did both during the spygate scandal and that was proven when emails between him and Alonso surfaced showing them discussing the technical information which had been stolen from Ferrari.

You seriously need to cop on because you are just making a fool of yourself on this forum. Can you at least try to be objective?

Read my post above your silly reply
    and then maybe you should Cop on and dont make a fool of yourself

• Advertisement

Ficus wrote: »
    Everyone on here knows of your utter dislike for lewis hamilton and mclaren, and i have allowed all negative discussions to continue on these subjects / threads as i dont see anything wrong with someone disliking a particular driver / team etc as long as the opinions are not slanderous but when you start slagging off other members contributions to what is a thread you started, thats where i draw the line.

Now lets get back on topic and enjoy what this forum is all about.

I dont recall slagging off his contributions.
    I simply told him read the thread above his silly reply where I specified that I meant ON TRACK he races and not try to gain points by lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

Lewis is the man Mclaren are the best END OF STORY!

Well that my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

pburns wrote: »
    Ryan is expendible (despite 35 years with the team). Hamilton isn't.

Sad but true, despite 35 years of loyal service, the only person that will never be made a scape goat is the actual driver, sad to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

They were never going to hang Lewis, it wouldn't make any sense for them to do that, just a shame the way they keep going on at the moment. I wouldn't want Hamilton banned for the season, it will be much more fun seeing him struggle at the back :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PD09

McLaren were right to suspend Ryan because, irrespective of any political, financial, or competitive considerations, he should simply have known better. If after 35 years in the game he's stupid enough to try and lie about an event that's being covered by god knows how many cameras, and being broadcast live all over the world, then, frankly, the guy is a liability.

Lewis, on the other hand is still young and, for all his talent, immature. That doesn't excuse what he did, he was 100% wrong to do it, but he should learn from it and be better for it. Every young competitive guy in he 20's needs a good sharp lesson in humility from time to time and losing the points from that race is probably the best punishment because it'll cost him dearly this year ... base of the team's performance so far!

I'd put good money on him ending up on the wrong side of the stewards once or twice more, but if he still hasn't got it by then I'll be the first one on here calling him a merchant banker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

PD09 wrote: »
    McLaren were right to suspend Ryan because, irrespective of any political, financial, or competitive considerations, he should simply have known better. If after 35 years in the game he's stupid enough to try and lie about an event that's being covered by god knows how many cameras, and being broadcast live all over the world, then, frankly, the guy is a liability.

Lewis, on the other hand is still young and, for all his talent, immature. That doesn't excuse what he did, he was 100% wrong to do it, but he should learn from it and be better for it. Every young competitive guy in he 20's needs a good sharp lesson in humility from time to time and losing the points from that race is probably the best punishment because it'll cost him dearly this year ... base of the team's performance so far!

I'd put good money on him ending up on the wrong side of the stewards once or twice more, but if he still hasn't got it by then I'll be the first one on here calling him a merchant banker.
    I don't know about that McLaren are a team one person should not be singled out in public, They suspended him to try and preempt any further action by FIA/world motorsport council. Nobody need to be suspended by McLaren in my opinion. Did Ferrari suspend the engineer that released Massa in Singapore with the fuel hose on? Ok so it wasn't deliberate cheating, but it was still a major mistake to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

Mclaren has officially announced that it has parted company with Dave Ryan.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74348

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think its poor treatment of Ryan by McLaren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

They really left him out to dry, im not sure this is a wise move

Advertisement