Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards - Funny Threads

Options
  • 03-04-2009 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I was just reading that thread "Galway single women and dating." I know there's lots of serious views expressed in it, but it's really funny in my opinion :D It struck me that there are actually lots of funny posts, even though I predominantly read the Galway City threads. Ok, that's no surprise I suppose but does anyone else think it would be a great idea to vote on the funniest threads on Boards and then publish them in a book/booklet?

Bear in mind that I don't know anything about publishing etc. and of course this is up to the site owners, but perhaps it could be something similar to the photography book that was brought out, and affiliated to a charity maybe?

This is just a suggestion but personally, I think it would be cool :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

+1

great idea lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

It's not a publication though, such as a booklet, or does this exist already? Lots of the good threads get lost eventually when they are shoved back in the pages, or if they are locked. It would be nice to have a hard copy for flicking through for a laugh.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Not a bad idea. It would have to include such classics as the jigsaw thread though! Man that was funny! Or the motors in models forum thread.

Galway forum is probably the wrong place for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Releasing a booklet with the best stuff could be a good idea, although there may be copyright issues.
    I'm gonna move this thread to Feedback for input from admins and other posters outside GC.
    Tristan, for funny stuff from GC see this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think the MS paint thread could be a book in itself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I know the lads over at Blather have produced a book of articles from Blather.net and it worked out very well. Threads are a different story though and alot of whats funny comes from the personality behind the post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Isn't there a funniest quotes/conversations page on the boards wiki?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah the quotes project. Link in Nerins sig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

6th wrote: »
    I know the lads over at Blather have produced a book of articles from Blather.net and it worked out very well. Threads are a different story though and alot of whats funny comes from the personality behind the post.

I agree. While its very funny on boards, it may lose its context or appeal in a book, especially to those not familiar with boards. E.g. On boards, if Snyper makes a comment or a comment is made about Snyper and the running joke, often its hilarious. however publish that in a book, its not funny anymore, in fact it risks being interpreted as offensive and inappropriate by those unfamiliar.

The book then runs the risk of just becoming another "Overheard in Dublin" format, filled with brief funny stories or one liners.

of course I have been wrong in the past! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

faceman wrote: »
    I agree. While its very funny on boards, it may lose its context or appeal in a book, especially to those not familiar with boards. E.g. On boards, if Snyper makes a comment or a comment is made about Snyper and the running joke, often its hilarious. however publish that in a book, its not funny anymore, in fact it risks being interpreted as offensive and inappropriate by those unfamiliar.

The book then runs the risk of just becoming another "Overheard in Dublin" format, filled with brief funny stories or one liners.

of course I have been wrong in the past! :o
    Well it'd need good editing to make sure that those unfamiliar with Boards could understand the jokes. But there's lots of threads that are universally funny. The "cats are people" thread in particular was a work of genius. Add in bits of trivia about the history of Boards, a couple of crosswords and foldout pin-up of Cult and you've got a best seller!

Actually, if it gets a quick go ahead, then it could be something to have done for next Santa's Strike Force drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

If it were for charidee, I'd support it 110%. I can't see the context or the humour translating well to a casual reader though.

humanji wrote: »
    Well it'd need good editing to make sure that those unfamiliar with Boards could understand the jokes. But there's lots of threads that are universally funny. The "cats are people" thread in particular was a work of genius. Add in bits of trivia about the history of Boards, a couple of crosswords and foldout pin-up of Cult and you've got a best seller!

This is 2009. The age of technology and the spreading of knowledge is upon us. That one trick pony don't fly no more. You're gonna at least have to include a sudoku. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That thread some spammer started in the games forum was funny, I'll see if I can find a link. Bigtommybomb's modship thread and girl faints on dart thread were awesome. I don't think a book would work very well though.

Edit: Found that scammer thread on games forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055496426

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Somebody rang?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

you can see all threads in a printable version
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/printthread.php?t=2055529089
    If you really find it funny print a few off.

But the thing is , humour changes , what maybe hilarious now may not be in a few months .

And with discussion boards views humour and novelty wears off.

But it would be nice that if in biki there could be a place to store classic/funny threads instead of just conversation or two or three quotes .

That thread some spammer started in the games forum was funny, I'll see if I can find a link. Bigtommybomb's modship thread and girl faints on dart thread were awesome. I don't think a book would work very well though.

That thread was brilliant was like a group improv 419 thread :D

cHaTbOx wrote: »
    you can see all threads in a printable version
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/printthread.php?t=2055529089
    If you really find it funny print a few off.

But the thing is , humour changes , what maybe hilarious now may not be in a few months .

And with discussion boards views humour and novelty wears off.

But it would be nice that if in biki there could be a place to store classic/funny threads instead of just conversation or two or three quotes .

Anybody can make a page on the biki,and anyone can add to it,so maybe start a page,add some links,and people might follow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Nerin wrote: »
    Anybody can make a page on the biki,and anyone can add to it,so maybe start a page,add some links,and people might follow :)
    Will you give me a little help , I tried before but I am deficient of necessary brain cells.
    And from what I saw nerin has done a lot on biki but he is only one person.
    I'll try put a good few links tomorrow if I figure out how to do the page.

I know that's the topic of tis thread was for a book of some sorts but , It would not be worth the amount of money it would take to publish and print.

• Advertisement

Will you give me a little help , I tried before but I am deficient of necessary brain cells.
    And from what I saw nerin has done a lot on biki but he is only one person.
    I'll try put a good few links tomorrow if I figure out how to do the page.

I know that's the topic of tis thread was for a book of some sorts but , It would not be worth the amount of money it would take to publish and print.

You can has help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Nerin's done a fine job on that quotes page.

We should have another one for legendary threads and the like.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nerin's done a fine job on that quotes page.

We should have another one for legendary threads and the like.
    Ditto, some of those quotes are legendary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

That was a fun night on here alright :D

orestes wrote: »
    That was a fun night on here alright :D
    Yeah I was just about to go to bed when he posted the thread. I'm glad I stayed up. It was so funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Yeah I was just about to go to bed when he posted the thread. I'm glad I stayed up. It was so funny.

Yup, twas a good laugh alright

And it looks like I have the most entries in the quotes project

I'd like to thank the Academy...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

My fav thread was skanger bebo thread.

he was a waste of vital organs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I don't think the context is always important re. humour. A funny post is always going to be funny, especially if the original post is well written, descriptive and informative. The post that I mentioned at the start of this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055525478 in my opinion will always be funny, and now it's being shoved further and further back in the pages. Therefore, I still think it would be really nice to have a hard-copy booklet...for the coffee table.
    The primary market for the book will more than likely be Boardsies anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If it were for charidee, I'd support it 110%. I can't see the context or the humour translating well to a casual reader though.
    Lots of Boardsies, though ... and I suspect a lot of it would translate to the broader pool of "net savvy" ...
    Nerin wrote: »
    Somebody rang?
    You should get help for that ringing in your ears ... :P

And all slagging aside, I like the quotes project too, kudos!
    Maybe, maybe not ... the way the Photography forum did their book at Christmas might be the way to go, if people taught it was worthwhile, very different approach to "traditional" publishing.

I agree it would take a fair bit of editing / work though. If it was for something like SSF though ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 WhiskeyTangoFox

There is nothing funny in that thread?

:confused:

Advertisement