Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Searching for a driving instructor? Post here *READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

messrs wrote: »
    Have either/both of you got sorted? I sat my test in Tallaght and would highly recommend my instructor if you still need one

PM me with details if you have a chance, thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Hi, anyone have any recommendations for the Merrion Road/Strand Road/Sydney Parade/Sandymount area of Dublin?

Nervous adult (29), total beginner with no prior lessons, need to do EDT but don't have anyone suitable as a sponsor, so need a patient instructor who can cope with a slow learner that may not make much progress between lessons.

+1

Same position and area.

Is it important to have a car to practice on outside of lessons or could I start without a car to practice on in between lessons? Won't have access to a car for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

+1

Same position and area.

Is it important to have a car to practice on outside of lessons or could I start without a car to practice on in between lessons? Won't have access to a car for a few months.

I didnt have a car to practice in at all, only practice i got was in my lessons and I managed to pass my test this way

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Hi Folks,

Based in Donabate, retaking my test in Mulhuddart test centre at the end of the month(first attempt in that particular centre).

Any recommendations for some pre-test lessons / practice? I have my own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭bearamy98

Hi all,

I want to resit my 3rd driving test soon (I failed the first two mainly due to cutting out) so my parents want me to do a few pre-test lessons so I’m just wondering can anyone recommend any good driving instructors (that ideally would offer short and intensive pre-test prep) in the Nenagh/ Limerick area?

My preference would be to do it in the Nenagh area but if there was any good instructors in the Limerick area who offer good intensive pre-test prep I’d be willing to do it over there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

hi my 19 year old daughter is looking for a lady driving instructor in the stepaside area she has her own car and insurance
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kaneo71

Other half is looking for a good instructor in the Dublin 8/10 area for her 12 EDT lessons and further lessons afterward.
    Any recommendations would be great thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Need a good instructor for Mulhuddart area. Nervous driver who hasn't driven in 5 odd years. Possibly someone willing to do first few lessons in their own car then take me out in mine as it's a 7 seater.

Have either/both of you got sorted? I sat my test in Tallaght and would highly recommend my instructor if you still need one

tried calling (unsuccessful) and sending a text to the person you recommended. Sadly, no reply.

Another guy (local area) had a website where you can enter your details to request a callback. Never got the callback, sent a text message to his number and he's only available during normal working hours on weekdays.

Strangely, I eventually got a reply email to the original enquiry via his website (a week after he replied to my text) and it says he's available most times weekdays and weekends? Maybe he didn't realise I was the same person as texted him. :confused:

I'll continue looking, but seems to be an instructors market and not pupil's presently.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    tried calling (unsuccessful) and sending a text to the person you recommended. Sadly, no reply.

Another guy (local area) had a website where you can enter your details to request a callback. Never got the callback, sent a text message to his number and he's only available during normal working hours on weekdays.

Strangely, I eventually got a reply email to the original enquiry via his website (a week after he replied to my text) and it says he's available most times weekdays and weekends? Maybe he didn't realise I was the same person as texted him. :confused:

I'll continue looking, but seems to be an instructors market and not pupil's presently.

Im surprised at that tbh as when I was doing the lessons with him I always found him very helpful when it came to times/days - i often got lessons with him on week days at 8pm and on some sunday mornings at 8am! Let me double check the number i gave you incase i ever send you the wrong one

Just checked and number I gave you was correct

• Advertisement

Im surprised at that tbh as when I was doing the lessons with him I always found him very helpful when it came to times/days - i often got lessons with him on week days at 8pm and on some sunday mornings at 8am! Let me double check the number i gave you incase i ever send you the wrong one

Just checked and number I gave you was correct

No, the first guy I mentioned (the number you gave me) hasn't replied at all yet. Sent him a 2nd text just to make sure.
    But maybe I should just try calling the number directly again.

The 2nd guy I mentioned (based in Drimnagh) is the one who can't do later evenings or weekends.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    No, the first guy I mentioned (the number you gave me) hasn't replied at all yet. Sent him a 2nd text just to make sure.
    But maybe I should just try calling the number directly again.

The 2nd guy I mentioned (based in Drimnagh) is the one who can't do later evenings or weekends.

Ah ok, Sorry. Yea maybe try calling him again and see if you can get through to him . I just thought he was good as I was quiet nervous and he was very patient with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tourou

Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for a good driving instructor in Clifden (Co. Galway), please? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Mullingar area
    Very nervous passenger let alone driver

I'm just 55.took my test in UK at 32,heavily pregnant and failed, a week from giving birth. Never got around to doing it again.

Have to do it!! Now or never! Need someone who is patient and doesn't raise their voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 alegalalien

Anyone recommend me a good instructor who knows well about Finglas area and has students passing the test here.
    I just failed my test today and mainly due to lack of experience learning the roads ..

I didnt have a car to practice in at all, only practice i got was in my lessons and I managed to pass my test this way

Just to follow up on this; I paid €700 to the Irish School of Motoring for 12 EDT hours, 3 pre-test lessons and car rental.

So far, I have had 3 EDT hours over two lessons with the same instructor. From being unsure how to even start the car at the very first lesson, the third hour we drove out the N11 in rush hour traffic from D4 to Shankhill and back the low road through Deans Grange etc. I don't have a car to practice on so am reliant on the lesson.

I've found the instructor incredibly easy to follow and understand, with a couple nervous incidents doing hand-brake starts in traffic only lasting a few seconds as he guides me through it. So far so good with the ISM after two lessons so would recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Just to follow up on this; I paid €700 to the Irish School of Motoring for 12 EDT hours, 3 pre-test lessons and car rental.

So far, I have had 3 EDT hours over two lessons with the same instructor. From being unsure how to even start the car at the very first lesson, the third hour we drove out the N11 in rush hour traffic from D4 to Shankhill and back the low road through Deans Grange etc. I don't have a car to practice on so am reliant on the lesson.

I've found the instructor incredibly easy to follow and understand, with a couple nervous incidents doing hand-brake starts in traffic only lasting a few seconds as he guides me through it. So far so good with the ISM after two lessons so would recommend them.
    Each EDT lesson is supposed to be 1hr long. Be careful they aren’t missing important information.

Each EDT lesson is supposed to be 1hr long. Be careful they aren’t missing important information.

It's been three hours over two lessons. Seems like I havent missed anything important at this stage but it's very early days.

It's been three hours over two lessons. Seems like I havent missed anything important at this stage but it's very early days.

My point to you is to make sure things are happening properly.
    What length were the 2 lessons? An hour each? 2 hrs each?

If an hour and you’ve EDT 1-3 completed something had been missed. There’s too much in those first 3 lessons to be done in 2hrs.
    If it’s 2x2hr lessons then be careful going forward as you might do 4 hrs but only get 3 lessons done unless the instructor is specifically telling you one is a sponsor/practice lesson.

Weepsie wrote: »
    They just said it's 3 hours over 2 lessons. An hour per lesson = 3 lessons

And they also said 3 EDT in a previous post. It wouldn’t be normal to split an EDT lesson into 2 half hours.

All I’m doing is telling the poster to be careful, that’s all.

• Advertisement

And they also said 3 EDT in a previous post. It wouldn’t be normal to split an EDT lesson into 2 half hours.

All I’m doing is telling the poster to be careful, that’s all.

Three one hour lessons split between two sessions. 1 EDT = first lesson. 2 and 3 EDT = 2nd lesson.

As I've said anyway, I feel like my instructor from the ISM is making everything really clear and even in a slightly panicked situation when the car stalled in traffic on the N11 we got moving fairly promptly as he guided me through it (forgot to release the handbrake). There's been a big focus on understanding what the clutch is doing and how it works. The thing I am missing (which isn't anything to do with the lessons) is a car to practice acceleration pressure on for getting moving but I'm sure I'll get used to that over the next few hours of lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ricksanchez

Having a nightmare finding an instructor - everyone is either booked a month in advance or stops responding to texts. Please DM me any recommendations as I'm all googled out.

I'm near Tallaght and will be taking the test there.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Looking for an instructor in Dublin 7 (Stoneybatter-ish area), for a new learner with no own car to practice. PM me please if you know anybody good!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DanieliMurphy

Looking for instructors in D22 (Clondalkin), in a manual car. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oompax

Hi there, could anyone please recommend me a good driving instructor for Crumlin/Harrold's Cross/Kimmage area. Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Looking for an instructor in Galway City. Recommendations welcome!
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭B0rG

Hi,

Looking for instructor on manual, Dublin, Heuston Station/Phoenix Park area. 12 mandatory lessons and pretest drill.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Looking for an instructor in Dublin 12 (Greenhills) - finding it hard to get anyone with availability!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Looking for an instructor in D10. EDT done, decent driver, looking to be brought up to test standard. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Immoschu

Looking for an instructor near Sandyford/Stillorgan area. Want to do the 12 EDT for Automatic only. No previous driving experience. Been looking at RSA school of motoring and ISM in the area so far so if anyone has recommendations on those 2 schools as well would be great.

Advertisement