Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google camera...

Options
  • 03-04-2009 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/7980737.stm

Get off your f***king high horses you twats !!!

it's harmless ...

"invading their privacy and "facilitating crime"." - Piss off!!!!

Not a bother here in Spain .. no one complained about it ...

some people just look for something to whine about ...

Angry residents of a Buckinghamshire village blocked the driver of a Google Street View car when he started taking photographs of their homes.

Police were called to Broughton, near Milton Keynes, after residents staged the protest accusing Google of invading their privacy and "facilitating crime".

"Google have taken a tremendous liberty," villager Paul Jacobs told the BBC.

Google said it observed UK law and only filmed from public areas.

The company also said it had consulted various police forces and provided the means for residents to have their home removed from the service.

The Street View mapping project allows for 360-degree views of roads and homes using footage taken by a camera mounted on a car.

Google have taken a tremendous liberty in the way they've gone about it
    Paul Jacobs

Mr Jacobs said he saw the vehicle driving past his home on Wednesday and his first reaction was one of anger.

"I don't have a problem with Google wanting to promote villages. What I have a problem with is the invasion of privacy, taking pictures directly into the home," he said.

"Google have taken a tremendous liberty in the way they've gone about it.

"If they were simply going to view the street as a street scene rather than drive almost into people's drives and take pictures of the houses - I think that's a different issue."

Public property

Thames Valley Police said: "A squad car was sent to Broughton at 1020 BST on Wednesday to reports of a dispute between a crowd of people and a Google Street View contractor.

"A member of the public had called us to report that he, along with a number of others, were standing in the middle of the road preventing the car from moving forwards and taking photographs.

"They felt his presence was an intrusion of their privacy. When police arrived at the scene, the car had moved on."

In a statement Google said it provided "an easy way to request removal of imagery".

"We were careful to ensure that all images abide by UK law. Imagery is taken on public property and is no different from what any person can readily capture or see walking down the street.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

What? I'm either still drunk or you're talking a load of bollox? I'm gonna go with the latter?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You're drunk and he's talking bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

jackdaw wrote: »

Indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I agree with them that their privacy is being invaded. Why should google be allowed take pictures of their houses without permission? To be honest, I don't know much about this google street thingy but I find it strange that anyone could be looking at my house and I find it surprising that google are allowed do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Since when does Buckinghamshire represent the people that use Boards?

Are you high?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

This is just the begining. Next thing we'll have alien races approaching Hubble engineers with cease & desist orders.

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    This is just the begining. Next thing we'll have alien races approaching Hubble engineers with cease & desist orders.
    Would you ever change that stupid avatar please.

Kiera wrote: »
    Would you ever change that stupid avatar please.

Look who's talking.

Look who's talking.
    1,2,or 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

I agree with them that their privacy is being invaded. Why should google be allowed take pictures of their houses without permission? To be honest, I don't know much about this google street thingy but I find it strange that anyone could be looking at my house and I find it surprising that google are allowed do this?

Not really, the photos are not exactly 20 megapixel fine detail ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

1,2,or 3?

Took me a second to get that. Must be the beer from last night!

1,2,or 3?

If you're going to insist on using such a weak comeback then at least get the titles right.

At least get the titles right if you're going to use such a weak comeback.
    What? Comeback? Meh, at least try be funny or witty. Last time i told someone to fck off i got banned, better not do it again ;)

Meh, at least try be funny or witty.

Is that some sort of mantra you recite to yourself in the morning? Pity it doesn't seem to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/7980737.stm

Get off your f***king high horses you twats !!!

it's harmless ...

"invading their privacy and "facilitating crime"." - Piss off!!!!

Not a bother here in Spain .. no one complained about it ...

The irony in that is just delicious.

Is that some sort of mantra you recite to yourself in the morning? Pity it doesn't seem to be working.
    Nope. The second part of my sentence is tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Considering the number of CCTV cameras in the UK, I'm not quite sure what they're getting worked up about. Anyway, this is old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Wooo.. Gets popcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 28,952 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Confab wrote: »
    Considering the number of CCTV cameras in the UK, I'm not quite sure what they're getting worked up about. Anyway, this is old news.
    What are you talking about?

Haven't you noticved this thread is now about Kiera and Mr.Lizards little spat?

Kind of getting off topic here!!

• Advertisement

Nope. The second part of my sentence is tho.

Well either way, I think it is admirable that you're trying to be funny and witty. I just think in your case it's not working out and that you should probably stop trying before you strain yourself too much.

Confab wrote: »

good point !

maybe thats why they are so sensitive ...

Kind of getting off topic here!!
    It was pretty píss poor to begin with. At least me and the other yoke spiced up your thread a wee bit :)

It was pretty píss poor to begin with. At least me and the other yoke spiced up your thread a wee bit :)

That's the spirit Kiera. Give up now and move on to your next little avatar campaign or whatever other important issue is occupying you atm.

Well either way, I think it is admirable that you're trying to be funny and witty. I just think in your case it's not working out and that you should probably stop trying before you strain yourself too much.
    Sorry newbie but i fail to see what you're talking about? If i wanted to be funny i would be. You picked the wrong bitch to fight with, believe me!

Aodan83 wrote: »
    The irony in that is just delicious.

I was waiting for someone to point that out ...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Take it to the thunderdome.

Trinny. wrote: »
    Take it to the thunderdome.
    I'd rather take you to the thunderdome, hawt stuff :D

Thunderdome = bed, yeah? :confused:;)

Sorry newbie but i fail to see what you're talking about? If i wanted to be funny i would be. You picked the wrong bitch to fight with, believe me!

Haha, newbie? You have no idea luv. Either way tho you have rasied an important issue here today. Right now there is a full world of people using message boards and many of them using avatars that do not meet with universal acceptance! This will not stand! The question I was tho is "who will meet the challenge of this tasteless behaviour and make right what once was wrong in our cyberworld?" Kiera, I think you have found your calling!

Report back to us when all has been made better and avatar misuse is just a footnote in some dusty history ebook. But you have to be quick. As I type this even more people are signing up to message boards and pickinng the wrong avatar for themselves. Run now, run like the wind.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Lizard won.. on his own.. all a loan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement