Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside shevles for plants

Options
  • 03-04-2009 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I have a pretty small back garden due to an extension the previous owners built. They also concreted the back garden leaving slower beds around the side walls. The planting is pretty poor with ever green trees and bushes. On top of that there are tree different ivy growing on the walls and plants. This actually makes it feel a bit like a nice courtyard rather than a concrete box.

I also have dogs so the concrete garden isn't a real issue but unless a plant is well established the little one tends to dig them up of at least attack them. So I was thinking I could cut everything back and put up some form of shelving up to grow plants. This would save the from the dogs and keep the garden from being concrete.

Is it possible and are there systems build for the purpose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Not sure if there are any ready made solutions in Ireland, but if you were anyways a DIY enthusiast, it wouldn't taker much effort to make some shelves to support potted plants. Use pressure treated timbers and paint to suit your personal preference. Alternatively grow plants in containers.

Use some low level prickly plants like berberis, perrynetta, carpet roses etc these will deter dogs.

Advertisement