Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best BB and TV package at the moment?

Options
  • 03-04-2009 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Moving to Dundrum. I'm not interested in Digital TV (yet). I'd like Analogue TV and at least 10MB BB.

Had look at NTL and they have TV for €25 and 10MB BB for €32. So €57 all in.

Is there any better out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

You can get TV from NTL for €20. I have their 20Mb broadband and I think it's great, others here will disagree. I never use them but apparently they throttle torrents so if you're a torrent fan I'd recommend against. For general usage I think it's great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

paulm17781 wrote: »
    You can get TV from NTL for €20. I have their 20Mb broadband and I think it's great, others here will disagree. I never use them but apparently they throttle torrents so if you're a torrent fan I'd
    recommend against. For general usage I think it's great though.

yeah when i go to the TV page on NTL it says €20. But when i click on it it changes to €25 :confused:

Ah I found a "Made for Measure" option and it jumps back to €20 so that'a decent deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

So it does. I'm actually not sure which is correct. It was €20 very recently. :confused:

EDIT: The page is broken. It says "Select" and "Max" both cost 33.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

The price is 25 Euro a month for the basic digital TV service which now includes a DVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

quarryman wrote: »
    Moving to Dundrum. I'm not interested in Digital TV (yet). I'd like Analogue TV and at least 10MB BB.

Had look at NTL and they have TV for €25 and 10MB BB for €32. So €57 all in.

Is there any better out there?
    In my experience, NTL analogue quality is absolutely dire. Lines through pictures, fuzzy etc. Their customer service is one of the worst, so you can forget about getting anything fixed. The digital is better, but you will end up having to get one set-top box subscription for each TV.

I would strongly recommend that you go free-to-air instead - you can get superb quality digital HD/SD Terrestrial from 3 Rock with a wet finger in Dundrum, and all the main UK channels are available free-to-air on Satellite. No need to ever pay NTL or Sky a subscription. You will just need to get yourself a suitable free-to-air set-top-box. I would recommend getting a combo box that does Digital Terrestrial and Satellite with hard-disk connectivity for recording. Loads of info on the Terrestrial and Satellite Boards.

For Broadband you could go for DSL from around €45pm upwards. eircom offer free calls to mobile (Meteor), which can save you a fortune. Unfortunately, the unlimited free mobile calls option is gone from this week. Instead, new customers get 200 mobile minutes - still quite a good deal though. Vodafone/Perlico are also not band, but offer a lot less free calls to mobile(Vodafone). For €60 with eircom you would get 7MB on DSL plus the free calls to Mobile. This seems like a better deal than NTL, if you can save on €3 worth of calls to mobile, plus you get decent customer service, free WiFi etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The NTL UPC broadband on it's own without TV is better value than DSL if you ditch the phone line.

You don't need to order their TV at all. If you do, I'd only consider their digital offering, but Sky is better for Pay TV Digital.

You can get the 4 Irish channels free via aerial in Analogue or Digital there in perfect quality and over 45 decent UK channels via FTA or Freesat Satellite (click on link on my mod tags).

Advertisement