Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joypad-shamshingly frustrating!

Options
  • 03-04-2009 10:36am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was playing Prince of Persia on the 360 last night, and got stuck on a lever puzzle trying to raise some plate or something. And for the life of me, i couldnt figure it out. Whats worse is i knew it was a simple solution, but i just couldnt figure it out. Was on it for over an hour before deciding it was best to stop playing, for fear of my joypad. And it made me think of all the other times i've gotten really mad/frustrated at a game, where the result was a broken (or near broken) joypad.

Metal Gear Solid: - After absolutly loving the game, i got to the final fight against Metal Gear Rex. Just as the fight with REX begins, the game froze and i had to reboot, and on reloading, my save game was corrupt. I think i actually damaged my playstation when i threw the joypad at it.

Final Fantasy X: - Fighting Lady Yunalesca in the farplane towards the end of the game, in which she had three forms. Had died a few times trying to kill her, but i eventually managed to get her down to her third form, and got her to roughly 500 health left (and me one party member down), she confused Auron, who attacked and killed Tidus, who then killed himself...Joypad smash!!

Eve-Online: When i originally started playing Eve a few years ago, i worked for ages to get enough isk for a Thorax (best looking cruiser in the game). 7 million isk, which is pittance nowadays, was not easy for me at the time. Started running level 2 missions, and on the first mission against a load of drones, i got killed. Killed all but one drone, which orbited me at about 500m (inside my blaster range) and over the course of about 5 minutes, slowly eat through my shields and hull. Pop goes my un-insured ship, and smash went my mouse and keyboard.

So, do you have any nerd-rage moments that resulted in damaged equipment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Threw my joypad across the room and it smashed on the wall, while trying to get smile achievement in Geometry Wars 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Goldeneye - that bastard of a 2:05 Facility level to unlock the cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Seth in SFIV has brought back my joypad-throwing tendancies... not good when I shelled out for a MadCatz pad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Alma from Ninja Gaiden Black - By god I hate her.
    She saw the demise of a joypad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One part in Ninja Gaiden. You have to climb from the bottom of a hole to the top but half way along there are three zombie archers. If you get hit just once you will fall off and fall all the way to the bottom and have to start again. Whats worse is that even if you kill 2 of them and the last one knocks you off you fall so far that they respawn again. I spent and hour trying to get up that pit and never thought I knew so many swear words. Never broke a controller although Seth made me throw one into my pillow. My brother broke one of my PS1 joypads. He was trying to do a license test which was to take 1 corner on laguna seca in an uncontrollable car. He just couldn't do it, he was at it a week. So I was watching him play and he actually managed to do it. Then he crossed the line and was going 'oh my god I actually did it!' Then he noticed the time. He had to cross the line in 17 seconds, he did it in 17.01 seconds, cue me pissing myself laughing at him until he smashed the controller off the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Didn't have a problem with the archers in that shaft, I remember just getting up high enough and using 3 exploding arrows to take them out.

But the ghost fish really pissed me off, as they would continually respawn and once one latched on they all would, also you rarely got any health back off them when you killed them. I broke the R2 button on my dualshock playing that game. Oddly, I found the end guy a real let down as I defeated him fairly easily. The ending was not worth the frustration of that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I once played a Ling player on T5: DR who so frustrated me, I threw my brand-new Sixaxis at a pillow.
    Being a Sixaxis, it was way too light and I couldn't judge its flightpath correctly.

So it hit my wooden bedframe, which cracked a trigger, cracked some of the shell's plastic, which then lodged and pushed the shell apart a little.
    Also the 1-4 lights don't work anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Didn't have a problem with the archers in that shaft, I remember just getting up high enough and using 3 exploding arrows to take them out.

I wasted my arrows taking them out for long range then continued up the shaft, and fell. They respawned and I had to make my way back up the hard way with no projectiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wasted my arrows taking them out for long range then continued up the shaft, and fell. They respawned and I had to make my way back up the hard way with no projectiles.

yeah a lot of Ninja Gaiden depended on what you actually had in your stockpile. Having or not having something would either make a part of the level easy, or a complete pain in the ass.

I remember there was one save, near the end, where I was in this little alcove, and outside 3 of those guys that throw exploding tags at you would spawn immediately. When I saved I had no lifes and around 10% health with no elixirs. Cue about 2 hours of spawning, dying, repeat... eventually I got away from them by fluke, ran down an alley and a stupid helicopter shoots the ground with missiles killing me outright :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i really wanna try ninja gaiden this time when it comes out on ps3 :D

my last joypad-throwing event happened in God of war1 god mode the ending saving his wife part and titan mode in god of war 2 the bloody long corridor....

many of those frusfration moments are mostly caused by the designer's fault on mis-adjusted the balance in the game.

the one game i highly praise in my gaming history is the Shinobi and Kunoichi/Nightshade by SEGA, extremely challenging but yet perfectly balanced by the game maker,i never feel like throwing my joypad after 99 dead in a same level - yes,they have a continue counter to record how many dead you reach lol a well designed game wont cause you any frustration but the will to continue to fight cause' you know you can make it

ohyes!forget to mention rofl

how can i ever forget!! THE chocobo racing in FFX to get the Tidus's sigil!!!ohgod...that was some nightmare...i smashed a controller as i can remember

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

FIFA -Every time I press X to slide tackle but then inadvertently win the ball and hoof it away because the computer queued the action and thought I meant lobbed pass. Grr.

Also SFIV - all the time.

Advertisement