Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unpaid work

Options
  • 03-04-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Where i work we have always came in 5/10 mins early to get a handover from the previous shift. AFAIK this is on our contract,worded along the lines of "it is expected to come in 10 mins earlier than the start of shift"

The thing is i am on an hourly rate, not a salary, i get paid from 8-8, 12 hours pay for 12 hours 10 mins work, roughly 2 hours a month unpaid.

This handover time in itself i have no issue with, but of late i have been told that clocking in at 7.52/7.53 is unacceptable, it has to be before 7.50.

Does my employer have any right to disciplin me for the unpaid "lateness" ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Seriously.....get over it.

10 minutes can account for coming in, putting bag and coat away, b1tch about traffic and grab a cuppa. Coming in a few minutes early is more about putting foward a professional attitude and it speaks volumes about how you go about your job. I doubt he cant do much about it but having an issue about it is petty.

Personally if Im not in 15-20 minutes before my shift I feel late.The upshot of this is that there are always 2 or 3 times a month when I am about 15 minutes late.......Its no big deal as I have a great reputation for being early! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

what break times do you get during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

what break times do you get during the day?

20mins for breakfast, 30 mins for lunch and 15 mins for a tea break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

axel rose wrote: »
    Seriously.....get over it.

10 minutes can account for coming in, putting bag and coat away, b1tch about traffic and grab a cuppa. Coming in a few minutes early is more about putting foward a professional attitude and it speaks volumes about how you go about your job. I doubt he cant do much about it but having an issue about it is petty.

Personally if Im not in 15-20 minutes before my shift I feel late.The upshot of this is that there are always 2 or 3 times a month when I am about 15 minutes late.......Its no big deal as I have a great reputation for being early! :)

IMO, its people like you that make this type of thing the expectation in companies. People sitting at their desks when they should be gone for no other reason but to give off an impression of dedication etc. Ludicrous. If your time is not precious to you, and you wish to give it away to your employer for free, well so be it. It is certainly not 'petty' though, if someone takes exception to this being an expectation by their employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... AFAIK this is on our contract,worded along the lines of "it is expected to come in 10 mins earlier than the start of shift"
    Does my employer have any right to disciplin me for the unpaid "lateness" ?

If it's in your contract, then Yes, They Do!

Seriously: in the current climate, do you really want to be rocking the boat over 10 mins/day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

ya wont get nothen off me for coming in 10 mins early ,but if your late your finished,you should be glad to have a job let alone start waffling about 10 minutes earley, if working hours are 8-8 that means your working ar full production from 8-8 with the exception of breaks

JustMary wrote: »
    If it's in your contract, then Yes, They Do!

I'd wonder if its actually legal to say in a contract, 'you will work for 2 hours a month for free'.
    Seriously: in the current climate, do you really want to be rocking the boat over 10 mins/day?

I really hate this, though understand it. You are basically saying, 'let them bully you, or you may be out of a job'. Compaies everywhere are taking advantage of staff in these times. Only if the staff stand by each other and inform themselves of their rights can they see the difference between a good company that genuinely need a dig out, and a bad company taking advantage of a staff that feel vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

JimiTime wrote: »
    I'd wonder if its actually legal to say in a contract, 'you will work for 2 hours a month for free'.

if you're on a salary, chances are your contract says something along the lines of "at times, work beyond these hours will be required"

most people don't get paid for overtime. some are lucky and get time off in lieu.

ya wont get nothen off me for coming in 10 mins early

Thats not the point. If you tell your staff to be 10 minutes early, while telling them you wont pay them for it, then actually caution them for only being 5 minutes early, you are taking the p!ss. It doesn't matter if its 1 minute or 5 hours, the principal remains.

Xiney wrote: »
    if you're on a salary, chances are your contract says something along the lines of "at times, work beyond these hours will be required"

most people don't get paid for overtime. some are lucky and get time off in lieu.

And IMO, that aint right. A company should have no right to impose upon 'your' time without suitable compensation. The line you quoted, does not stipulate that when it requires you to work extra hours, that they don't have to pay you. People unfortunately choose 'not to rock the boat'. If its a case that overtime is not on offer, the giving of ones time should be at the 'complete' discretion of the employee. A good staff member, will be reasonable about this, and a good employer also. More often than not however, I've witnessed those who give extra hours after work or not taking break entitlements etc getting a grilling when they missed their bus in the morning and are late by a few minutes. People should realise how precious their time is, and not give it away so easily IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

yes i see your point, but for an employer to show authority, you must insist that emplotees are 15-20mins early, for their shift, mainly because if they are not it looks like they are not interested in their job, and if they are messing around not coming in on time production goes down, and they are paving their own way out the door, and beleive me ,in good or bad times it is not a nice thing to be jobless, and it is not a nice thing to have to run someone for being a bad timekeeper, its also a sign that they are unreliable

yes i see your point, but for an employer to show authority, you must insist that emplotees are 15-20mins early, for their shift, mainly because if they are not it looks like they are not interested in their job, and if they are messing around not coming in on time production goes down, and they are paving their own way out the door, and beleive me ,in good or bad times it is not a nice thing to be jobless, and it is not a nice thing to have to run someone for being a bad timekeeper, its also a sign that they are unreliable

One can make it abundantly clear, that work starts at 9 i.e. your coats put away etc and you've actually begun to work, without having to tell someone they have to be 20 mins early. Again, I'd wonder about the legalities of such things. I was once naive enough to think if I was kind to employee's and operated a 'you scatch my back and i'll scratch yours', it would make for a more productive and happy workforce. Some respected it, and it worked well for them, but most took the p!ss and it had to be ended. So I know that there needs to be a sense of authority. I feel that there are bouderies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How about 10 to 15 hours for free a week....
    Every week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    How about 10 to 15 hours for free a week....
    Every week

Do you find that these extra hours make your job easier ?.

My Dad (in fresh food) likes to be in work 2/3 hours before official starting time.

He preferres to be there when deliveries are coming in and get the delivery men to put things where he wants them, he reckons that it saves him a lot of time during the day and a lot of manual lifting.

He does not get paid for any extra hours, but if he ever wants to take the odd extra day, or couple of hours off there is never a problem.

Advertisement