Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Zen Moments

Options
  • 03-04-2009 10:45am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whats your one gaming zen moment? The one moment (or moments) you never thought you'd do or see. Where you thought to yourself, "Oh yeah, i'm actually that ****ing good!"

Counter Strike Source: We had a tournament in the computer society in college one year, and in one of the final rounds my team were against probably the best team in the tournament. Last fight, and we were tied 1-1 with one more game to play. The map was Office and it was a 5-side match. We lost two players early to a lose grenade, and then another two in killing one of their players. So it was me against four of them to win, which was very unlikely given the opposition. But not this day. I killed two of them with a beautiful grenade through the window, and picked one off with my m4. Was then shot from behind, turned around and fired in one move, and bam! Head shot with my pistol to win the game. Cue much shouting and jeering, to which we were told to shut up or get out of the room (the labs were in the library in college)

Ocarina of Time: The water dungeon, bane to many gamers. I somehow managed to get to this point without getting the Zora Tunic from King Zora, which allowed for underwater breathing. After what felt like weeks (was actually days) of trying to do it, i was on the last tunnel out of the dungeon and couldnt make it with my limited air supply. Tried it again and again, and was nearing the end of my tether, when i took out my hook shot, fired towards the end of the tunnel, and managed to hook onto a chest which then dragged me up and outta that place. I literally jumped for joy at that. Some might call it luck, but not me. It was faith. Your not a real gamer till you can do this :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Happens alot while playing Peggle on the Xbox. You pull off a miracle shot, and think "Yep... that's exactly what I was trying to do - pure skill". Works better (and feels better!) if other people are watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tenchu 2 (PS1):
    Can't remember the exact level (it was towards the end, and had a giant boat).
    Drop down, stealth killed 1 guard (sword through the neck from up high).
    Check meter, roll forward, spotted 2 guards.
    Now, I knew that if I "proper" stealth-kill either on the first go, the animation will take so long i'll be discovered.
    So, I run to the 2nd guard, and glitch-kill (side-swipe him so I don't get the animation), run forward, and JUST as the 3rd turns, BAM -- sword through the stomach.
    Elation.

Fscking boss kills me 10mins later! :pac:

Yoshi's Island (SNES): I don't remember how old I was, but I remember this feeling of pure joy when I finally finished the game 100% (all worlds & bonus levels, 100pts).

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yoshi's Island (SNES): I don't remember how old I was, but I remember this feeling of pure joy when I finally finished the game 100% (all worlds & bonus levels, 100pts).

Not easy at all... those bonus levels are a bitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I was a member of the compsoc in college. We set up this really badly formatted gaming contest of Medal Of Honour: Allied Assault.

Here was the format:
    * Open ended 8 player endurance deathmatch
    * Top 2 from each round go through to the next
    * 6 new players added with each round
    * When there is nobody left to play the last 2 will go head to head ftw

The stupid thing was anyone could enter at any time and still have a chance of winning. I, foolishly, entered in the first round, thinking there wouldn't be that many people interested in playing in the tournament.

~7 hours later I'm still in it (having skipped all of my labs and lectures for that day), having knocked out pretty much the entire student body of FPS gamers. Then in the second last round, a new guy enters from my class who is excellent at MoH:AA, in fact I usually played on his team.

Himself and I knock out the remaining players, and being the 2 with the highest frags for that round go head to head. We draw in the first round, then both agree to throw down everything but our pistols.

After taking small bits of health off each other, we finally meet by accident in an upper room in one of the french maps. He fires, I strafe and duck behind a table, I strafe out, let off a clip but he dives out the window while reloading. I predict he will come up the stairs immediately behind me so I quickly about turn, jump up on the table, jump over the door I expect him to come through. Like clockwork he does, looks to where he thought I'd be, I turn 180 land behind him and pistol whip him in the back of the head ftw.

Best part was the cheers from everyone watching, which was a complete shock as I had been staring at the screen for so long I hadn't even noticed the crowds of people behind me that where watching. Haven't been that good at an FPS since, just don't have the time or the motivation to practice. But 3+ hours a day, 5 days a week for 3 years made me pretty good at MoH:AA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Burnout 2: The feeling chaining burnouts the whole way around the track while skimming between traffic at top speed. I used to stop blinking when playing this game, every Burnout since has been a dissapointment :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Just last night, playing a bit of CSS on nuke, as T picking garage, saw a guy;
    *Click*
    WANDEEG!
    Another guy?!
    *Click*
    WANDEEG!

I LOL'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

5-starring Through the fire and flames in Guitar Hero 3,Gold-starring Caprici Di Diablo in Rock Band 2 and this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Playing Day of Defeat on the Donner map, I was an Axis Assault. I stormed the Garden, a notoriously camped spot where the Machine Gunner usually covers the entrance and it's impossible to get through. I ran in, primed a grenade, threw it, killed the MG, then killed a Rifleman and a Thompson with 1 clip, then killed a Sniper, picked up the Allied MG, killed a further 3, then someone lobbed a grenade at me and I picked it back up and killed him! That was 8 people in the space of maybe 1 minute or 1 minute 10 sec.

Then someone came up from behind me with a Knife and stabbed me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It would have to be a few Counterstrike Match's I played.

On Nuke against one of the top teams in ED, I head shotted the entire opposing team with one clip from the default CT pistol at the top Bombsite. They rage quit and put in a petition saying I cheated. The Admins gave it to them(politics) but I know it was all me and sheer unbelievable luck.

I also got four concurrent headshots with a p90 while jumping blinded and spraying. Those guys had a bit more class, even coming on to our TS to break their holes laughing at my luck. I did manage to kill the other four members of my team with a nade on the next map which made it even funnier.

Don't play anymore though, work, study etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing Geometry Wars 2 last night and thrashing my mates all time high score on Evolved, a score he worked on for ages, except I only turned it on for a quick go, after a couple of months of GW2 celibacy, then thrashed his best on my first go!
    MWA HA HA HA!

Also, doing one of the long long runs in Test Drive Unlimited without crashing, bootiful.

Finishing Metroid Prime 3 was pretty special too, as Echoes was a bitch and made me feel stupid and inadequate.

And I had the privilege to watch Zen in action as two guys played Bubble Bobble all day on one credit, Wow, who needs a science degree anyway when you have such badass bubble blowing skills man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Was playing CS with a few people in college, me on one team four of them on another with bots to make up the difference. All four of them come round a corner unexpectedly but I managed to nail them all with headshots in quick succession. Got killed by a bot shortly after but still my proudest moment in gaming.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Finally coming 1st on Rainbow Road on the SNES on 150cc. My soul died trying to achieve that. I never got it back.

EDIT - Fantastic thread btw.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Completing both New Zealand Story and Ghouls and Ghosts on one credit in the arcades. Getting outrages combos in Killer Instinct always grabbed a crowd as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

LoGiE wrote: »
    Completing both New Zealand Story and Ghouls and Ghosts on one credit in the arcades. Getting outrages combos in Killer Instinct always grabbed a crowd as well :)

Lol, that brings back great memories of people crowding around you in Arcades when you were running hot. A similar Arcade Zen moment for me would be clearing out Wonderboy in Monsterland with over one million points. It was damn near impossible to do- you had to spin every coin perfectly on your head along the way, and defeat the final boss without buying the most powerful sword. It took an hour to do (a long time for one game back in those days!) and I still remember shaking trying to kill the final boss. That was about 20 years ago and I swear it's still my stand-out moment in gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And I had the privilege to watch Zen in action as two guys played Bubble Bobble all day on one credit, Wow, who needs a science degree anyway when you have such badass bubble blowing skills man!

I remember some class Bubble Bobble players as well, but all day on one credit... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

going 5-0 up against wink;) at the wcg qualifiers with what was essential a mix team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing with some boardsies on GTAIV on launch night (or soon after anyway). Heated game of cops and robbers afoot. Showdown on a bridge. Us cops manage to wipe out all but one robber. He leaps off the bridge into a river and starts to swim for the getaway boat. We all try to shoot him from the bridge but no luck. So we all jump off too, and start swimming. He gets to the vehicle and we're still behind. I managed to get to shore and start firing off shots at him as he tries to escape. I don't know if it was my bullet or someone elses, but we managed to get the final shot in just before he got into the safety zone.

Never before have I felt such utter satisfaction during a video game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

got high scores on the hard levels in dr quirkys the one time i tried dance dance revolution. found it easy enough to get long strings of perfects and attracted spectators. I was v good at time crisis 2 as well used to get an audience too, even when I'd only played it once or twice. So I guess my forte is computer games you play with your feet.
    Played tekken 3 multiplayer a *lot* and was very good at it.
    For a zen moment though it would be wipeout 3. I played that a lot and finished it a couple of times. The feeling of flow/concentration/relaxation when playing fast on phantom and not crashing on harder tracks was really something (weapons off). I have wipeout pulse (psp) and it's a good game, but I played through to the last grid and it doesnt have the same flowing feel as WO3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Mine was getting the Perfect_Playthrough on Big Boss Extreme.

The
    motorbike part with Big Momma
    *was ridiculously hard imo.

Even the Mrs. was delighted for me as she watched me struggle through it.

*Spoiler probably not warranted, but not taking any chances

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

F1ngers wrote: »
    Mine was getting the Perfect_Playthrough on Big Boss Extreme.

The
    motorbike part with Big Momma
    *was ridiculously hard imo.

Even the Mrs. was delighted for me as she watched me struggle through it.

*Spoiler probably not warranted, but not taking any chances

I've been tempted to try that but I'll probably end up putting my foot through the tv if I do.

Dr robotnics mean bean machine on the megadrive. Whenever you were playing against a friend and your screen was starting to pile up to the point you were about to lose, then you see that one piece that you needed to pull off some stupidly insane combo. This would then unlease a shed load of black beans that would pretty much decimate your friend. The look of your friends on screen character face change from laughing to tears was fúcking perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

going 5-0 up against wink;) at the wcg qualifiers with what was essential a mix team.

;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Playing with some boardsies on GTAIV on launch night (or soon after anyway). Heated game of cops and robbers afoot. Showdown on a bridge. Us cops manage to wipe out all but one robber. He leaps off the bridge into a river and starts to swim for the getaway boat. We all try to shoot him from the bridge but no luck. So we all jump off too, and start swimming. He gets to the vehicle and we're still behind. I managed to get to shore and start firing off shots at him as he tries to escape. I don't know if it was my bullet or someone elses, but we managed to get the final shot in just before he got into the safety zone.

Ah i remember that night. Probably the most fun in an online game i've had for a long time. Couldnt believe when he jumped off the bridge. Classic. We should really try get some more games of that going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

one that I always remember was playing cs1.6 way back when...actually was it even 1.6? can't remember the version but back on a friends 56k modem.

i know the map just cant think of the name...possibly vertigo.

walking around a corner to come face to face [not literally] with 6 out 7 CTs from one of the well known clans with me holding the auto shotty.

cue me going bananas and taking them all out with my friend jumping around behind me lolling like a loon before i got knifed while reloading by the last guy :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm pretty sure that was me being a total coward :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kiith wrote: »
    Ah i remember that night. Probably the most fun in an online game i've had for a long time. Couldnt believe when he jumped off the bridge. Classic. We should really try get some more games of that going.

Definitely. I think any attempts to replicate it for the next few days just led to massive connection problems and only a few of us could play at a time - guessing that's been fixed by now (still haven't had a chance to try out new Lost and Damned modes). Although there were also some good rocket launcher only deathmatches had ;)
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that was me being a total coward

Whoever it was, it was the most creative thing I've seen in a videogame in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I did one of those 90 minute races in Gran Turismo on the PS1 once.

Did MGS1 in extreme.

Using the long, sniping method to beat the End in MGS3 is pretty satisfying first time around.

Various PES goals from Nedved over the years.

There have been a few very satisying Stealth Deathmatch games on MGO too, I hid under a crate on Groznji Grad with a XMP(B?) and killed about ten people before they figured out where the bullets were coming from

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Finishing Super Metroid in under 3 hours with 100% items
    finishing Zelda on the snes in one go with everything in 6 hours
    finishing street fighter 2 on difficulty level 7 without losing a round (world warrior on the snes)
    beating penance in FFX... just cos it takes so bloody long
    various tournament wins at LANs. probably proudest of winning a gamecon in UT2004 when the game was at its height. a lot of skilled players there. also winning street fighter 4 at the last gamecon having never played the game before the competition :p
    few online achievements, mainly in UT2004. cups won and runner up and stuff like that.
    i think deffo the best was super metroid tho. no matter what i couldnt do that now i dont think. was so much better as a kid.
    oooh, finishing megaman 2 without losing a life and streets of rage 2 (both on hard difficulty) was good. although streets of rage u could just glitch through using axel. that "Get the paaaahhhhh" sound he makes with forward forward attack will forever be ingrained in my brain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Finally coming 1st on Rainbow Road on the SNES on 150cc. My soul died trying to achieve that. I never got it back.

EDIT - Fantastic thread btw.

haha yeah, my bro did that. was unbelievable to watch. he was schumacher and i was barrichello so to speak. to finally get the gold in 150cc special was brilliant. sure i didnt do it but i rarely remember being as satisfied with watching someone play

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Suppose my crowning achievement was beating the ranked 3 Company of Heroes American faction player Mexico. Was on the map semois. We both played well but the turning point came when he planted a M8 mine at a key location on the map. He then had the M8 buzz around the map harrassing my units like you normally do with that unit. When I got the m8 down to low health it attempted to retreat away to get repaird as is the norm, except he made the mistake of parking it beside the mine he layed and some stray fire of mine set it off killing it and several units nearby. This got him frustrated and he become suicidal in his bid to kill my puma armoured cars which owned his infantry. Eventually my Tigers came out and locked down the game. Since I was not high ranked this defeat would significantly set him back in his progress to become the no.1 player with the American faction and he begged me to throw the game which I didn't. But he did quit out in rage just as I won and the game never registered. Less than a day later he was number one, but I posted a replay of the game on gamesreplay and he got alot of abuse from other online players!
    Originally Posted by Retr0gamer
    I'm pretty sure that was me being a total coward

If its cowardly and its online its got to be Retrogamer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Best game of halo i ever played: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=140649013&player=Reinforcement09

I think my best streak on COD4 is 17

Advertisement