Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Zen Moments

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

My Zen moment?

Goldeneye on the N64, three against one(myself being the one) on the facility level, had managed to build up a fairly decent lead by picking them off one by one, when they finally got smart and started working together. They finally trap me in the corridor outside the two large rooms, with the only thing between myself and them was a slow opening door.

The problem was that one of them would activate the door, causing it to slowly start opening, when another would get impatient and activate the door again, causing it to close. I finally got tired of waiting and opened fire on the door with my RCP-90, and was able to watch on their screens the bullets first come through the door, then the first person, then the second, and finally kill the third guy.

Another would be the original Unreal Tournament, playing CTF, Facing Worlds, I got the sniper rifle for the first time on that level, tried picking people off from the top of the tower, and couldn't hit a thing. Started to get annoyed, so decided it was time for a run at the flag.

Managed to headshot everything between myself and the flag, turned around and did exactly the same thing to get back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Azza wrote: »
    If its cowardly and its online its got to be Retrogamer!

I'm never going to live that one game of left 4 dead down ever am I? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

F1ngers wrote: »
    Mine was getting the Perfect_Playthrough on Big Boss Extreme.

The
    motorbike part with Big Momma
    *was ridiculously hard imo.

Even the Mrs. was delighted for me as she watched me struggle through it.

*Spoiler probably not warranted, but not taking any chances

I'm tempted to try this too. I'm playing MGS4 for the first time since last summer, when I started a no-kills playthrough. The last MGS I completed entirely was 2, getting all the dogtags was time consuming!

Great gaming achievements include doing everything in every Resident Evil, Final Fantasys 6-9 and a few others things through the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Great thread OP.

Wow....let's see.

Playing Donkey Kong Country for the first time and being completely hooked on it, then playing DK2 and feeling the same way.

Doing the Sub Zero fatality on the first Mortal Kombat (spine rip). Also doing the Scorpion fatality (flame breath), awesome.

Playing Super Mario All Stars and loving Super Mario Bros 3, what an awesome game. Stage 6 is so brilliant and the music is just ace (Ice Stage)

Playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the first time (my first Sonic game). Both Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles are classics.

Playing Resident Evil 2 for the first time. What a legend of a game, one of my all time favs. Also Final Fantasy VII, VIII and X, what unbelievable games. It is the stories in the Final Fantasy games that I really love so much.

Golden Axe, Streets of Rage and the Final Fight series are other gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I'm not an old school gamer. So most of you mightn't describe it "zen" moment as zen-like.

Anyway. First proper TDM outside of Boot Camp in Call of Duty: World at War. Managed to rack up a 17 Kill Streak, which still stands as my best CoD:WaW KS. I have an 18 KS in CoD4 though.

That and platinuming (Getting all trophies) In Burnout Paradise on the PS3. I had to give up Christmas Eve so I could win 30 odd races. Then, at mid-day the next day, I got the platinum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1 crediting Carrier Airwing and Ghouls n' Ghosts. I just had an absolute stormer when I first finished them on 1 credit. In particular carrier airwing. I'd only gotten to the mid point before but on this playthrough every time I was just about to die a health refill was just on the next screen.

Another was almost 1 crediting Alien vs. Predator. It was relatively new at the time and by far the most popular arcade machine at the time. My dad was behind me watching me play in Dr. Quirkeys. It was only when I got murdered by the last boss when I noticed the massive crowd that had built up behind me because of the big collective sigh they left out and started clapping. I was quite pround of myself that day :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hmmmmmmmm, im drunk, but still the best zen moments are all from playing ppl i know and mates. tbh, finishing a really hard game now would mean nothing to me. it used to, i used to be all about the stupid challenges.. ive felt since games have become more universal its more the ppl i play with/against i want to beat.

starcraft. that game decides if u really are as good as u think u are. it cuts the bull****. there is no excuses with the game as there is CoD, CS, Gears, Halo etc.

if u wanna be a man - play starcraft. whatever else u are playing is for pU$sies

Jazzy wrote: »
    if u wanna be a man - play starcraft. whatever else u are playing is for pU$sies

i wholeheartedly endorse drunken jazzy and all his brilliance

Jazzy wrote: »
    i wholeheartedly endorse drunken jazzy and all his brilliance

What about street fighter 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

• The jump from 8bit (C64) to 16bit (Atari ST) computing looking at the introduction of Mercenary and the perfect round planet increasing in size.
    • Loading up Quake2 for the first time *after* hooking up a voodo1 card to my PC (queue jaw dropping).
    • Myself and my mate clocking Bubble Bobble in the local Snooker Hall many moons ago.
    • Playing Outrun (sit-in version) in the arcades for the first time in Dublin Airport back in 1986.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

TinCool wrote: »
    • The jump from 8bit (C64) to 16bit (Atari ST) computing looking at the introduction of Mercenary and the perfect round planet increasing in size.
    • Loading up Quake2 for the first time *after* hooking up a voodo1 card to my PC (queue jaw dropping).
    • Myself and my mate clocking Bubble Bobble in the local Snooker Hall many moons ago.
    • Playing Outrun (sit-in version) in the arcades for the first time in Dublin Airport back in 1986.

What happened to the Arcades in the Airport? Did they just disappear?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its probably a starbucks now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Counter Strike Source I had the M4, playing in computer society in college (with kiith). On Dust defending bomb site B, a terrorist jumped out of the tunnel, it took me half my clip to take him down, as I did, I turned to the tunnel there were 4 more running towards me, I just sprayed and killed them all, was 2 or 3 headshots... People were WTF? How the fk did you do that? Etc etc...

Killed two people with two shots, didn't mean to take the second shot. To me it looked like there was only one person as the other guy was directly behind the first one. M4, two headshots, crazy stuff. :)

BattleField 2 Troop chopper full of enemy troops, I throw in a gernade, lands in the chopper and they all die. Another chopper flying towards me and I shoot the pilot with my M203 gernade laucher. He dies, the chopper falls directly out of the sky and the rest of them die.

I was arsing around on a server, had a troop chopper full of my own troops, I done a full barrel roll and a loop the loop and they all jumped out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Battlefield 2- Playing as US Assault with F2000 on Sharqi Peninsula..
    running towards Surveilance point and takes down 3 soldiers with rifle.
    Reaches the wall..(know there's at least 3 soldiers on behind it as I can hear them), throws flashbang over and runs through and empties pistol into 2 of them..surprise surprise..there was actually 4...they're still dazed so switched to knife, kills them both and proceeds to take flag backed up by teammates.
    About 3 years ago but still remember it vividly due to the fact I punched the air and whoomped after it. :D

COD4 Dying after the chopper crashes after nuke goes off...whaddy mean I'm dead..I'm the bloody hero..I can't die :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Zombie Panic Source: Being the only survivor left and about 18-20 player zombies comming after me i managed to kill every single one of them with the revolver, every shot a headshot :D

Tenchu Z: Lured 4 guards into an indoor area using the whistle decoy and i scaled and clinged to the roof until the alertness wore off, as soon as they turned away i dropped down and succesfully stealth killed all 4 at once (the chain stealth kill). Its quite hard to do this in the main game as compared to training and you have to time each stealth kill perfectly

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What about street fighter 2?

and street fighter 2

giggsy664 wrote: »
    What happened to the Arcades in the Airport? Did they just disappear?

They used to have several in the arrivals hall, a few upstairs in the check in desks area. They've all gone now and have been for a good few years, 10 years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,282 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ace Combat 5, mission 8492. If you weren't in the zone, you were dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Broken Sword. The goat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

COD4 Dying after the chopper crashes after nuke goes off...whaddy mean I'm dead..I'm the bloody hero..I can't die :(

That was a bit unexpected.

Tetris Clearing both the normal game at highest level start point, and the pre-fawked up game. Seriously, all my gaming since then has not matched the acheivement of clearing that game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Finally beating IWBTG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Counter Strike Source I had the M4, playing in computer society in college (with kiith). On Dust defending bomb site B, a terrorist jumped out of the tunnel, it took me half my clip to take him down, as I did, I turned to the tunnel there were 4 more running towards me, I just sprayed and killed them all, was 2 or 3 headshots... People were WTF? How the fk did you do that? Etc etc...
    I did something similar, flashied the tunnel exit at A and got 4 unlucky terrorists inside with the M4 in a single clip, 3 headshots!
    Go a screenshot of it somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RHRN wrote: »
    Finally beating IWBTG

Holy ****. Me and my friends played that for around two hours one night and got around five screens in (even more annoying due to the common 'fake' screens and so on). We then gave up out of sheer frustration, soon after realising that many weeks of our lives would be wasted trying to get any further. You have my respect.

RHRN wrote: »
    Finally beating IWBTG

I was curious so I downloaded it.... I thought, hey this could be fun, 8bit nostalgia feel to it. First level, then pow.... Evil evil game. It's good that I keep my hair really short as I can see myself pulling it out playing this. Still stuck on Level 1 after about 2 hours of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I was a member of the compsoc in college. We set up this really badly formatted gaming contest of Medal Of Honour: Allied Assault.

Here was the format:
    * Open ended 8 player endurance deathmatch
    * Top 2 from each round go through to the next
    * 6 new players added with each round
    * When there is nobody left to play the last 2 will go head to head ftw

The stupid thing was anyone could enter at any time and still have a chance of winning. I, foolishly, entered in the first round, thinking there wouldn't be that many people interested in playing in the tournament.

~7 hours later I'm still in it (having skipped all of my labs and lectures for that day), having knocked out pretty much the entire student body of FPS gamers. Then in the second last round, a new guy enters from my class who is excellent at MoH:AA, in fact I usually played on his team.

Himself and I knock out the remaining players, and being the 2 with the highest frags for that round go head to head. We draw in the first round, then both agree to throw down everything but our pistols.

After taking small bits of health off each other, we finally meet by accident in an upper room in one of the french maps. He fires, I strafe and duck behind a table, I strafe out, let off a clip but he dives out the window while reloading. I predict he will come up the stairs immediately behind me so I quickly about turn, jump up on the table, jump over the door I expect him to come through. Like clockwork he does, looks to where he thought I'd be, I turn 180 land behind him and pistol whip him in the back of the head ftw.

Best part was the cheers from everyone watching, which was a complete shock as I had been staring at the screen for so long I hadn't even noticed the crowds of people behind me that where watching. Haven't been that good at an FPS since, just don't have the time or the motivation to practice. But 3+ hours a day, 5 days a week for 3 years made me pretty good at MoH:AA

I still play it in a league:) Still has its charm

Personally my Zen moment would hvae occured over the 100's of clan matches I've played in Mohaa/COD4 when everyone on your team is forced to watch you and hope you manage to pull something off, and its amazing when you do, especially when all the odds are stacked against you :)

I know theres been times in mohaa when i've done stuff and thought "if i were that guy i just killed i'd be thinking i was cheating" :P

For single player - it would have to be getting the Super A licences on Gran Turismo 2 + 3, no room for error, and some of the cars were ridiculoius to try complete the courses.

Laguna Seca in the Toyota GTOne springs to mind !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Unlocking the Gold boarder in 1080 Snowboarding on the 64. Still the best snowboarding game ever.

Advertisement