Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla Vs Drupal

Options
  • 03-04-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone use both, what's the difference?

I've been using Joomla for a few months and have come around to it's way of thinking. I like the extensions and over all fairly pleased with it.

But now Drupal is being suggested, how different is it from Joomla? I know little about CSS and have the basics in HTML (can read and edit it but never had the patients to write it). Is it better/worse, from what I've seen on the website they don't seem to have extensions like Joomla.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I haven't worked with Drupal. Joomla is good for quickly developing and managing sites that have a lot of features and where the staff don't have much web dev experience. On the downside it is heavily bloated and a drain on your server (even with all caching on and most modules off). Also, I found when I wanted to make some fairly big changes (straying away from the joomla way of doing things) it took me hours just to work my way thorugh the intricate architecture.

If a customer wanted a feature rich shopping cart and content management system by Tuesday I'd go for Joomla but I wouldn't put it on my CV..

I'd prefer to use Expression Engine and spend that little bit more time making the modifications you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭randombar

I was using wordpress myself for a few of the freebies I do from time to time and with more plugins out for it I'm finding it more and more customizable.

However I've had to pick up both Joomla and Drupal in the past couple of months and if

1 - You don't have much time and
    2 - You're getting into CMS for the 1st time

I would go with Joomla, it is very quick and easy.

Drupal however (I don't think Joomla does it but I could be wrong) does multiple sites, which for me is quite handy since I've a few domain names that I just keep tipping over until I get a chance to do something with them.

I think there's a bit more programming involved in Drupal if you want to do anything complicated and the BackEnd isn't as user friendly as J or WP but it is growing on me all right.

This http://www.101-design.com/ took me about half an hour once I got the hang of the ins and outs. From my understanding Books are another way of using categories and taxomony are tags (havent used them yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

If you're not a developer, i.e. you're not comfortable with writing code, then stick with Joomla. Joomla versus Drupal is a matter of horses for courses.

If you want out of the box eye candy then use Joomla. It is the easier to get up and running quickly and provided you don't want to start customizing the functionality you shouldn't run into problems. If you're looking for a CMS to just manage the pages and content of a website use Joomla.

Drupal has far fewer themes than Joomla available to buy or download, to be honest the Drupal template offerings are a horror scene. If you want to develop a customized website then Drupal is the better option, it's far more flexible than Joomla which has nothing like CCK, Views, and Panels. Drupal can also run multiple websites with the same backend and database, Joomla cannot, every website requires it's own instance of the backend and database. In terms of performance Drupal is better than Joomla. But building a website with Drupal will take more time than with Joomla.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

drupal is currently undergoing a major redesign of the UI by Mark Boulton. If I was picking between the two long term I would go with drupal, as it seems like it will be evolving relatively soon. Neither would be my cms of choice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    drupal is currently undergoing a major redesign of the UI by Mark Boulton. If I was picking between the two long term I would go with drupal, as it seems like it will be evolving relatively soon. Neither would be my cms of choice though.

What cms do you recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Wordpress can be good for a simple site, Expression Engine for something more complex

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

drupal is currently undergoing a major redesign of the UI by Mark Boulton.
    Apparently Joomla has a quicker development though. 5.10 is coming out soon.
    Wordpress can be good for a simple site, Expression Engine for something more complex
    Oh noes, not another one.. :D

From what I've read people are also saying Drupal can take up to 4 times more working hours to get a finished site out of. In the end I've had to break down and start learning CSS.

Joomla also has better e-commerce support which will be a vital part of the site.

Hard to choose, I'd like to stick with joomla but this will have different variants of the site for different countries so I think I'll have to go with Drupal, I hate learning new things, my old soggy brain is no good at that anymore. :(

Advertisement