Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a domain name, charged before I can reserve it?

Options
  • 03-04-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for opinions on this one.

Bought a www.your-name.ie domain registration there last week but according to their T&C's, you need to supply evidence of your connection to the domain name. That's fine but my subscription has already started i.e. from the day I ordered it.

Are they allowed charge me a subscription for a domain name I don't own yet?
    In order to complete the registration process, please forward a scan or fax of any of the following documents as soon as possible. Please note that the name you have ordered must match the documentation you provide, especially in the case of first names. Example: Johhnysmith.ie - your documentation must have "Johnny" printed instead of "John" etc

If you are based in the republic:

Irish passport
    Irish driver's licence
    Irish revenue / social welfare document showing PPS number
    Irish birth certificate
    Irish marriage certificate
    Irish utility bill (e.g.: NTL, Chorus, SKY / ESB, Airtricity / Bord Gais / Eircom / Vodafone, O2, Meteor, Three - bill pay phones only).

Please note your domain will be secured only when we receive this information

So how can they already charge me if the domain has not been secured?
    It means that my annual subscription started last week but I won't own it for another month until I get a bill.

Is that right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

well, look at it from this perspective ...

what if there is another person out there who wanted the same domain name as you, at the same time? as long as you provide the correct information then it will become yours, but paying now means that while this information is being sourced and confirmed, the domain is essentially lying in wait for you and can't be secured by another party.

I believe, though am open to correction, that when you do finally receive confirmation of registration that the start date will be from the date of registration, not the date of payment.

Advertisement