Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certificates/forms to be eligible for contract work?

Options
  • 03-04-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I'm a part time web designer and have been awarded the contract to develop a website for a charity. Given how the project is being funded through means of a grant, I've been told that I need to be registered. Before I go ask them to clarify what they mean on this, I thought I'd ask here.

Do I need to register my part-time hobby as a business or register for VAT? Or do I need to get a form/certificate outlining the nature of the contract I've been awarded?

I'll admit it has me a bit confused as they were quite vague on the matter and this will be the first time I've done a project thats involved so much red tape!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'll admit it has me a bit confused as they were quite vague on the matter and this will be the first time I've done a project thats involved so much red tape!

It's because of the grant. It needs to be a registered business for them to get it, so that the grant authority knows they're not pocketing the cash and getting a friend to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Also you will need to have a Tax clearance certificate...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Just register as a sole-trader and then delcare this at the end of the year.

If your'e earning over 35k in a year then you need to register to VAT.

Contact the revenue for details. It's relatively straight-forward once you get your head around it all, and they're very helpful with this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thanks very much for all your help guys.

Advertisement