Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Insurance

Options
  • 03-04-2009 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know anything about getting insurance to cover food at a function?

My Mam is having a party in September in a rugby club and she was told by the manager of the functions that to bring in her own food she would have to have a letter of insurance to cover her if anyone was poisioned or anyone slipped on food that fell on the floor.

She has worked out that to get the party catered it would cost a little more that €2,000 but for her cousin to do the food it is only working out a little more than €250.
    So if she could get insurance for the night it would still work out cheaper.

I have never heard of getting insurance like this but the function manager said that people have held parties there before and they have given a letter of insurance for bringing their own food.
    He said it was some sort of personal indemnity insurance but I would have thought that if you required insurance for food you would need to provide health and safety certs to get cover.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dollydrops wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know anything about getting insurance to cover food at a function?

My Mam is having a party in September in a rugby club and she was told by the manager of the functions that to bring in her own food she would have to have a letter of insurance to cover her if anyone was poisioned or anyone slipped on food that fell on the floor.

She has worked out that to get the party catered it would cost a little more that €2,000 but for her cousin to do the food it is only working out a little more than €250.
    So if she could get insurance for the night it would still work out cheaper.

I have never heard of getting insurance like this but the function manager said that people have held parties there before and they have given a letter of insurance for bringing their own food.
    He said it was some sort of personal indemnity insurance but I would have thought that if you required insurance for food you would need to provide health and safety certs to get cover.

Any advice would be appreciated!

That's basically pubic liability insurance, any good Insurance broker should be able to help you with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Make sure you get Public Liability AND Products Liability, as it is the 'product' causing illness or damage that the function manager is concerned about. The Indemnity he is looking for is a phrase which basically means he will want a note from your insurance company to agree that, if someone sues him for a loss resulting from the food, he can redirect the costs he incurs back to your own policy

Sounds complicated but pretty standard within the industry and a good broker is the starting point

Advertisement