Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap laptop for internet, email etc

• 03-04-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

nothing too fancy required, can be xp, less than 400e if possible.
    Dell seem to be at least 4.50 and I don't want a mini (for my aunt)
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

They have the internet on computers now?

laptopsdirect.ie
    Go north, Sterling's still weak
    Any UK site, pay in sterling where possible
    avoid dell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I got a flyer from Expert Electrical during the week and it had a special on an Acer 14.1" laptop for €399 (if I remember correctly, I lit the fire with it so I can't double check:D) no spec on the flyer but might be worth checking out...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Had a look at laptosp direct and came up with this but haven't heard good things about acer really. They have decent value warranty with mouse and bag that I might get with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I think Dell allows consumers to buy from the small business (but I'm not sure) - a basic Dell Vostro A 860 is coming in at 430 when you include VAT and shipping

sweetie wrote: »
    Had a look at laptosp direct and came up with this but haven't heard good things about acer really. They have decent value warranty with mouse and bag that I might get with it.

Acer make a crackin laptop (good thing), Im typing this message on a 6935G. Very reliable and cool looking for the most part. It took them a while to come over here, but they have massive global market share, so dont be apprehensive if you haven't heard of them as much as Dell. Dell are the least value for money in my experience.

• Advertisement

ordered it. 301 delivered. thanks a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

sweetie wrote: »
    ordered it. 301 delivered. thanks a mill

You are aware that it is a refurbished product?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

-

It's a matter of preference, but I bought a refurbed Acer from Laptops direct a year or so ago n it was perfect.

-

yes, thanks. It's got a warranty so i'm happy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Can some one post the spec of that laptop you bought .looking for a same laptop but viewing this on my phone and that link wont work for me . Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20ghz
    RAM - 2GB (2 x 1GB) 4GB Max
    Hard Drive - 160GB
    Operating System - Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1
    Screen - 15.4"
    Optical Drive - DVD RW
    Graphics - Integrated
    Warranty - One Year

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Thanks looks like i m going to get it but can some one tell me does it have out for another monitor to be hooked up to it . Also is that 301 euro. Thanks

Thanks looks like i m going to get it but can some one tell me does it have out for another monitor to be hooked up to it . Also is that 301 euro. Thanks

it was 301 on friday but they take the money in sterling so it could be slightly more or less when they charge me. Also they charge a visa fee and no option for Laser but at that price who can complain :D

Do you mean a vga connection. I presume it does. Why not call them or better still order it and they WILL call you within twenty mins offereing warranties and mouse and carry case

Thanks looks like i m going to get it but can some one tell me does it have out for another monitor to be hooked up to it .

Yes it has a standard VGA port.

-

Thanks everyone .could you tell me how much they charged your visa as well going to have to use my 3v card so have to know how much to top up with.

Thanks everyone .could you tell me how much they charged your visa as well going to have to use my 3v card so have to know how much to top up with.

3v cards have a €300 limit AFAIK.

Thought it was 400

•3V Vouchers are available for values of €20, €30, €40 etc., up to a maximum value of €350.

https://www.3v.ie/about_3V_vouchers.html

-

here's the gist of the email I got. As you can see I was charged in sterling so not quite sure of the euro price:

You have ordered from Laptops Direct which is part of BuyItDirect. All communications will be sent from BuyItDirect.

Manufacturer

Item

Quantity Ordered

Cost (ex VAT)

Cost (in VAT)

ACER

AS5720-602G16MI Grade A1- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20ghz, 2GB (2 x 1GB) 4GB Max, 15.4 in,160Gb DVDRW VHP

£221.71

£254.97

Delivery 1-2 Days to Southern Ireland. Sign courier's receipt as 'UNCHECKED'

£14.95

£17.19

surcharge:0.95%

£2.59

£2.59

Total £239.25 £274.75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭the lil man

hi,
    im not to sure about this but powercity have good laptops for 400 and under it would be worth the while checking it out anyway

• Advertisement

no power city near me but thanks anyway.did you get the laptop yet and whats it like ?

no power city near me but thanks anyway.did you get the laptop yet and whats it like ?

got it today and it seems grand. No sign whatsoever of being a refurb. Nice black colour and quite light and thin. I am a bit jealous really and considering
    getting another for myself!

update: disc drive isn't working and I will have to send the bleedin thing back...grrr :mad:

Advertisement