Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGDE in UCD!!

Options
  • 03-04-2009 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I heard that I got into the PGDE in UCD starting in Sept. Anyone else going there? My teaching subject will be geography.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

your teaching subjects will be geography and .....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

In similar position. My degree is History and Philosophy, so I'm not sure what my second subject will be.

Joe1919 wrote: »
    In similar position. My degree is History and Philosophy, so I'm not sure what my second subject will be.

you could teach religion for up to 15 hours a week if you do the part-time evening 1 year h.dip in theology in NUI Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Thanks for the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

cspe is another common one people take up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lena-bell

Just to figure this out. Trying to read the handbook and I have been in contact with the teaching council but got more confused.

According to the book students must select two courses in subject teaching to 12-18 year old.

so if my primary degree was in Archaeology and Geography. One of my subjects will be geography and I have to find another subject?? Aka, TEFL, CSPE?? or can I take a suject as my second subject even though i didn't take it in my primary degree? aka History?

I probably just need to sit down with the PGDE book and study it more or just call the Dept of Education or the teaching council again.

How is everyone getting on with getting a TP school?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

lena-bell wrote: »
    Just to figure this out. Trying to read the handbook and I have been in contact with the teaching council but got more confused.

According to the book students must select two courses in subject teaching to 12-18 year old.

so if my primary degree was in Archaeology and Geography. One of my subjects will be geography and I have to find another subject?? Aka, TEFL, CSPE?? or can I take a suject as my second subject even though i didn't take it in my primary degree? aka History?

I probably just need to sit down with the PGDE book and study it more or just call the Dept of Education or the teaching council again.

How is everyone getting on with getting a TP school?

As far as i know the official line is to teach a subject it you must have studied it for 30% of your degree so you could really only teach Geography then. Better off asking in the Teaching and Lecturing forum or ask the teaching council

Yeah agree with the 30% rule for most subjects. It shouldn't be a problem for you next year anyway. It's only when you go to officially register with the teaching council after you finish the PGDE and dip year will you have to produce a second subject (i think). Some schools are lax about the rules but I think things may be tightening up.

If you wanted to teach history, then you should do 30-35% of the history degree. You can do this as a distance learning thing after your PGDE with oscail for example.

Or CSPE.

And then theres the matter of finding a post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just on a related note to the previous query, if you have studied history and politics for your degree like myself, are you eligible to teach in history and CSPE?

• Advertisement

Just on a related note to the previous query, if you have studied history and politics for your degree like myself, are you eligible to teach in history and CSPE?

All recognised degrees and the subjects they qualify you to teach are listed on www.pac.ie . Click 'Postgrad Diploma in Ed.' on left hand side. Then on next page click 'Literature Downloads'. Then on next page click 'Recognised Degrees for eligibility 2009'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ciaranmccon

I got offered PGCE in UCD, but don't know how to find a school or how long i have to find one. Anyone got any info? My subject is Spanish along with business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

In the next few days UCD will send you a list of about 60 schools along with contact numbers and addresses. Ring them rather than just sending a cv and make sure you choose somewhere very close to ucd as lectures start at 2.00 each day and parking is a nightmare.

Thanks for the info. I am hoping that UCD will allow me to take other subjects so that I can at least teach them for non exam years and try and do the TEFL acels cert to teach at secondary schools or the religion in Maynooth.
    I have applied to 16 schools already but I have heard nothing back as of yet. I heard that schools usually choose former students which is a pain if you went to school at the other side of the country don't think I will make 2 o clock lectures from there. :)
    I have sent letters, CVs and a letters of reference and have tried to use connections. I don't want to pester principals but should I at least give a follow up call??
    Has anyone heard they have a TP school already?
    I really hope I don't get a school at the other side of the city.

. I don't want to pester principals but should I at least give a follow up call??

Im not doing a pgde but absolutely pester them, you have nothing to lose really. Persistence pays off. Have you tried any of the New Era schools that are linked to UCD?

I will pester them good next week so!!

I don't know those new era schools!?! As I am not familar with Dublin schools / not from Dublin it's hard to find schools that I could teach in.

I will pester them good next week so!!

I don't know those new era schools!?! As I am not familar with Dublin schools / not from Dublin it's hard to find schools that I could teach in.

UCD has an access programme with schools designated as new era (basically about 30 schools within the Dublin/Wicklow region that would consist of mainly disadvantaged students without a history of many pupils attending 3rd level. Students from these schools need less cao points and are given financial assistance and other support from ucd) One of them is St. Thomas in Bray and another in Wicklow Town. The New Era office in Ucd will have a list of schools and these may be able to take you on as they should be more likely to accept ucd students

Edit http://www.ucd.ie/access/newera_outreach_secondary.htm Theres the full details. Perhaps focus on these schools in particular, many are within a few miles of UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

pathway33 wrote: »
    All recognised degrees and the subjects they qualify you to teach are listed on www.pac.ie . Click 'Postgrad Diploma in Ed.' on left hand side. Then on next page click 'Literature Downloads'. Then on next page click 'Recognised Degrees for eligibility 2009'

just looking at this and I couldnt find UCD listed anywhere in the list of colleges....does that mean that you cant go into the PGDE with an Arts degree from UCD??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

kev_s88 wrote: »
    just looking at this and I couldnt find UCD listed anywhere in the list of colleges....does that mean that you cant go into the PGDE with an Arts degree from UCD??? :confused:
    It's the first college on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

hmmm i did not know NUI Dublin on that list was UCD.... lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Hi guys
    I have a commerce degree so business studies will obviously be my primary subject. A while back I rang the Teaching Council and a really rude girl told me that I couldnt teach anymore subjects.:mad:

Surely I could teach economics (as I did this in first and second year), accounting (also did this in first and second year) or maths (did this in first year)?

Slighly concerned about this. I know the guide book says 30% of your degree to teach a subject but thats fine if you did arts, not for any business degree I can think of though as it is composed of multiple modules/subjects which all equate to around 5-8% of the course.:confused:

Has anybody any opinion/ideas on this?? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Fidge9 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I have a commerce degree so business studies will obviously be my primary subject. A while back I rang the Teaching Council and a really rude girl told me that I couldnt teach anymore subjects.:mad:

Surely I could teach economics (as I did this in first and second year), accounting (also did this in first and second year) or maths (did this in first year)?

Slighly concerned about this. I know the guide book says 30% of your degree to teach a subject but thats fine if you did arts, not for any business degree I can think of though as it is composed of multiple modules/subjects which all equate to around 5-8% of the course.:confused:

Has anybody any opinion/ideas on this?? Thanks

I suppose an obvious question here is if there is a significant material difference between Business Studies and Economics or Accounting as subjects.

Would someone have a serious grasp of Economics after two years studying what would equate to 5%-8% - as you put it - of the course. An Arts student taking Economics in first year would do 11% of their degree credits and presumably cover more in that one year, yet they would not be considered for registering to teach it.

I have seen people on here with Engineering degrees who appear to think that it qualifies them to teach pretty much everything, but it seems unrealistic that so many different topics can possibly be covered in the depth the teaching council requires.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand how anyone could argue that a subject covered to an extent of 5%-8% of their degree could possibly equate to the 33% as required by the teaching council. How can the same level of material be covered in such a truncated class time?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

When you divide up every module that you do as part of a business degree they equate to roughly 5-8% of the total course.

Take for example, economics. If you do micro, macro and intermediate, you more than cover the leaving cert course. This then equates to 15-24% of your degree. But the Council says 30%.

Then in addition, if you cover financial accounting in first and second year and then management accounting in second year, that equates to 15-24% again. Again, the Council wants 30%.

I just don't see how any business degree is split so evenly/conveniently that you cover off 30% in two subjects to allow you to pursue these at secondary level. In fact, I don't know if any course does this.

Going by this method of requiring 30% mandatory to teach a subject at secondary level, every business degree holder can potentially only teach one subject (as they will do one that surpasses the 30% mark). The remaining 70% is made up of multiple modules which do not have an aggregate to to get 30%.

But in the teaching world, one subject is not enough. You need two.

From what i can see, this 30% rule works out nicely if you studied two clear Arts subjects but not if you studied business/commerce.

Fidge9 wrote: »
    From what i can see, this 30% rule works out nicely if you studied two clear Arts subjects but not if you studied business/commerce.

Go to www.pac.ie and on the left click 'Postgrad. Diploma in Ed'. On the next page click 'Literature Downloads'. On next page click 'Recognised Degrees for Eligibility 2009'. Then look at the business degrees that allow students to teach 2 or 3 business subjects to leaving cert and see if your course is similar. Then go back to the teaching council and state your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Does someone want to explain what PGDE is? Is it for people who want to go into teaching or students volunteering? And if it is volunteer are you ****ing mad? 12-18 year olds are bastards.

Enlil_Nick wrote: »
    Does someone want to explain what PGDE is? Is it for people who want to go into teaching or students volunteering? And if it is volunteer are you ****ing mad? 12-18 year olds are bastards.

Its the new name for the h.dip in education. Its for people wishing to teach in secondary schools

Advertisement