Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could use some input on a build please

Options
  • 03-04-2009 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Hey peeps,

I was over in the music production forum getting some advice and links to help me spec a machine for my brother for his home studio.

Ive build a machine but im quite out of the loop these days with up to date components. If you could take a look at the parts im looking at an offer any advice on if i should upgrade to something better at a small cost that would be very much appreciated:

1x Alien Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU

1x Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz Socket 775 1333FSB 4MB L2 Cache

1x ASUS P5QL PRO iP43 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

1x Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 HyperX Memory

1x Hitachi 250GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200RPM 8MB Cache - OEM

1x Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition-SP3

1x OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan

2x LG W2242S 22" TFT Monitor

This comes to €834 delivered

Just realised i will need a graphics card in there to run dual monitors, i guess i can just slap in anything really that can do it since no gaming will be happening on the machine.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Why the XP 64?

And why the 1 stick of RAM which restricts memory bandwidth to only half of its potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Spear wrote: »
    Why the XP 64?

And why the 1 stick of RAM which restricts memory bandwidth to only half of its potential?

Its 2x2gb sticks of ram.
    And the 64-bit due to the 4gb of ram.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

goodlad wrote: »
    Its 2x2gb sticks of ram.
    And the 64-bit due to the 4gb of ram.

Sorry, I misread the RAM entry.

Vista 64bit or Windows 7 would give 64bit support for 4GB of RAM and up, along with improved stability and other updates.

I had thought about that option but im not sure if the programs he is using or some of the external devices will be ok with vista or not so i wanted to play it safe and use xp.

Personally i use vista myself and love it.
    But my brother is only computer literate to the extent of using music programs so i didnt want to dump vista onto him :p:D

I had thought about that option but im not sure if the programs he is using or some of the external devices will be ok with vista or not so i wanted to play it safe and use xp.

Personally i use vista myself and love it.
    But my brother is only computer literate to the extent of using music programs so i didnt want to dump vista onto him :p:D

There's not much future, if any, support wise for Xp 64 these days though.

A small note on the hard disk, for the sake of €10 more you could replace that 250GB with a 750GB.

• Advertisement

Ah well his support is me anyways since i work in IT so that side of things is covered. Im just trying to keep things simple for him so i dont get called every 5 minutes for a week asking me where things are in vista, lol

Cool i will take a look at the hdd and swap it to a bigger one if the cost is around that low.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Dont buy XP 64, you might as well burn money.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Dont buy XP 64, you might as well burn money.

It might help if you gave a reason with that statement :p:p

Ah well his support is me anyways since i work in IT so that side of things is covered. Im just trying to keep things simple for him so i dont get called every 5 minutes for a week asking me where things are in vista, lol

Cool i will take a look at the hdd and swap it to a bigger one if the cost is around that low.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=354903
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343054

640GB, €59 and 750GB, €76 respectively. A bit more €10 difference probably but I can't find sites listing a 250GB Samsung for a straight comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a second hard drive, as I think either Cubase, or something else needs to "bounce" the music onto another hard drive. Not sure why: mate has to do it when doing the music for his album.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Get a second hard drive, as I think either Cubase, or something else needs to "bounce" the music onto another hard drive. Not sure why: mate has to do it when doing the music for his album.

Well i can without a doubt say my bro's programs dont need to do that as he only has 1 drive in the machine he currently has. Been using it for years now.

But again, keep the advice coming! I dont wanna make a balls of this present! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It might help if you gave a reason with that statement :p:p

Just accept that the hardware gurus say no.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Don't even try to compare regular XP to XP64. The latter is rough as hell and is far more unstable and stuck up about drivers ("I don't like you *chipset driver*! I'm not going to work!") than Vista ever was. The difference is that the issues with Vista are slowly being resolved while XP64 remains a messed-up prototype. Its based on server OS and doesn't like being dragged into non-server situations I'm afraid.

XP32 >> Vista32
    XP64 <<<< Vista 64

And given Vista 64 < XP32, that's really saying something!

If you can live with 3.25GB RAM then stick with XP Pro 32, if you can't then until W7 hits retail Vista 64 is the only (Microsoft) game in town. The vast majority of stuff works nowadays and modern PCs actually have the power to run Vista fairly smoothly so it isn't like saying "Go Vista!" 18 months ago - that most certainly would have been fail :p But now that most of the kinks have been worked out and the drivers are there... Very strange hardware is much more likely to throw it than any oddball software (as abusing compatibiliyy modes sorts most problems) and I don't see anything odd on that list. What stuff are you carrying over?

Solitaire wrote: »
    Don't even try to compare regular XP to XP64. The latter is rough as hell and is far more unstable and stuck up about drivers ("I don't like you *chipset driver*! I'm not going to work!") than Vista ever was. The difference is that the issues with Vista are slowly being resolved while XP64 remains a messed-up prototype. Its based on server OS and doesn't like being dragged into non-server situations I'm afraid.

XP32 >> Vista32
    XP64 <<<< Vista 64

If you can live with 3.25GB RAM then stick with XP Pro 32, if you can't then until W7 hits retail Vista 64 is the only (Microsoft) game in town. The vast majority of stuff works nowadays and modern PCs actually have the power to run Vista fairly smoothly so it isn't like saying "Go Vista!" 18 months ago - that most certainly would have been fail :p But now that most of the kinks have been worked out and the drivers are there... Very strange hardware is much more likely to throw it than any oddball software (as abusing compatibiliyy modes sorts most problems) and I don't see anything odd on that list. What stuff are you carrying over?

I agree with you about vista. I run vista 64-Bit myself on my gaming rig.

Just talked to my bro, the version of cubase he uses is kinda old "cubase se" and it wont run on vista. He can upgrade but its kinda pricy.

Other than that his external sound card is a motu 828 mk2 which isnt even on the motu website anymore. Gonna have to mail them and ask about a vista 64-bit driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Solitaire wrote: »

XP32 >> Vista32
    XP64 <<<< Vista 64

Better not to get xp64
    Getting drivers is hard enough even now.
    In a years time it's gonna be even harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Might as well stick then with XP32. He'll still have about 3.25gb of ram so it;s not as if he'll notice it. ;)

Advertisement