Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Tesco Mobile worth considering?

• 03-04-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Thinking of upgrading a basic phone (Light user) - Is tesco mobile worth considering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Tesco is the cheapest and i think they are offering a free $10 top up with every $10 top up for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes its well worth considering. For a light user its clear and simple. They do have a top up offer, whatever amount you buy, you get that free. Buy €10 get €10 free, same with €20 and €30 etc. The catch is it only lasts for 30 days.
    Their call rates are €0.20 across the boards so no confusion, and texts are 9cent. Once you do top up by €20 in a month you also get free calls and texts to anyone on tesco.

And if you didnt know tesco use the o2 network so coverage will be fine. Any other questions ask away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's so rare to see mention of Tesco on these forums or speak to someone who's actually on Tesco (in my experience). They seem to be the forgotten network (yes, I know they're the newest).

Tesco have sorta launched quietly and as they really don't have any major outlay they don't seem to have felt the need to advertise heavily.

Looking at their websites and their plans often enough though they do seem to have a lot to offer - their data plans for example seem a lot better than what some of the more established networks are offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

1c/kb seems very expensive for data. Vodafone and Meteor offer 50MB for 99c every day. That would cost €50 on Tesco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Only drawback I can see is the minimum call charge- 20 cent.

Apart from that, Tesco is probably the best network for the light user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Between the data charges and no webtext (=> no cabbage) rules it out for me.

1c/kb seems very expensive for data. Vodafone and Meteor offer 50MB for 99c every day. That would cost €50 on Tesco!

Did you look at their Data Bundles?

- 99c for 3MB which lasts 24 hours - granted, this is not as good as O2 / Meteor / Vodafone (prepay)
    - 3.99EUR for 20MB which lasts 7 days - depending on your usage this would probably work out cheaper for a lot of people on O2 / Meteor / Vodafone (prepay).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Personally, its the number, when people ask and your reply with "089.." Its kinda hard to explain but the number seems a bit fake, obviously you wouldnt have that problem if you kept you number though.
    My friend had a Tesco phone, wasnt a great phone, a (tacky) pink Motorola with terrible memory, is their range of mobiles any good?

KatCookie wrote: »
    Personally, its the number, when people ask and your reply with "089.." Its kinda hard to explain but the number seems a bit fake, obviously you wouldnt have that problem if you kept you number though.
    My friend had a Tesco phone, wasnt a great phone, a (tacky) pink Motorola with terrible memory, is their range of mobiles any good?
    You don't have to use a phone provided by Tesco Mobile.

They have a lot of basic phones as this budget / older person / young child market appears to be the one they're aiming for.

is their range of mobiles any good?

As basic as basic gets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Random wrote: »
    You don't have to use a phone provided by Tesco Mobile..

Of course! :o
    How stupid of me, im sorry, its a Friday evening and im very tired!

Just on their website now, it even looks cheap!
    Poor selection of phones as last the last poster said!
    the basic Nokias seem to be the best!

(i didnt know playboy did phones.. linky)

Of course! :o
    How stupid of me, im sorry, its a Friday evening and im very tired!

Just on their website now, it even looks cheap!
    Poor selection of phones as last the last poster said!
    the basic Nokias seem to be the best!

(i didnt know playboy did phones.. linky)
    Yup, it does all look very cheap and basic but this appears to be their target marget. No fancy sh!te .. just the basics.

One thing that no one has mentioned about them is the customer care. Anything i have heard about them didnt have anything good to say about the care they.

Davy wrote: »
    One thing that no one has mentioned about them is the customer care. Anything i have heard about them didnt have anything good to say about the care they.
    I noticed this when I tried them out (I just had to ... I can't comment on them if I haven't experience them :) ). Their customer care seemed poorly trained and lacking knowledge. Anything more than the simplist of things such as registering my phone or telling me what price plan I was on seemed to confuse them. This experience was approx 6 months after they launched.

3 have really poor customer care in my experience too though. At least in Tesco they seemed to listen to (and understand) what I was saying even though they didn't know the solution or what to do about it.

Not dragging this into a 3 bashing thread, just making a comparison :)

Advertisement