Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best budget cider??

Options
  • 03-04-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Im a bulmers drinker normaly but with the way things are im wondering if anyone could suggest a cheaper alternative? like what are the lidl or tescos range like?Any suggestions much appreciated thanks.:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Druids, Stonehouse, Linden Village, Devils Bit are some I can think of, there a fair bit stronger though at 6% than bulmers, but cheaper

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have never tasted any other cider which would be a substitiute for bulmers. The closest thing would be vodka and cidona, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

rubadub

I have never tasted any other cider which would be a substitiute for bulmers. The closest thing would be vodka and cidona, seriously.

This is probably true in the sense that bulmers does not taste like a cider. The lidl cider is better then bulmers but is still terrible. Johnny jump up is likewise syrupy alco pop. There are a few very small ciders in Ireland but i dont know any off license that sells them. You can get aspalls in good off licenses. And Cidre de Récoltant Antoinette - Duché de Longueville is great i got it in McHugh's off license in Kilbarack
    http://www.nicolas.com/en/178_439_54_cidrederecoltantantoinetteduchedelongueville.htm

Or you can make your own

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think this is possibly the cheapest cider you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Charlie 22

If your talking about cans strongbow is as good as you can get very sweet though but most massed produced ciders are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

yoyo wrote: »
    Druids, Stonehouse, Linden Village, Devils Bit are some I can think of,

All of the above, bar devils bit are not nice ciders. devils bit is about as "howya" as you can get but its tasty and not too sweet. From what i remember its only available in 2ltr, was 5.50euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

why don't you just buy some and find out for yourself what you like? Honestly, what do you think is the worst that can possibly happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Worst that could happen is you end up with snail bait. I think cider would be great for that. That gives me something to do for the weekend....

All of the above, bar devils bit are not nice ciders. devils bit is about as "howya" as you can get but its tasty and not too sweet. From what i remember its only available in 2ltr, was 5.50euro.

Nah ya can get it in 500ML cans aswell, seen them around :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

yoyo wrote: »
    Nah ya can get it in 500ML cans aswell, seen them around :)

Nick

Good stuff, i'd only seen them on offer in the super market, didn't realise they carried them full time. Cans are best for at home, "flagens" go dead after a few glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

kenmc wrote: »
    what do you think is the worst that can possibly happen?

You could grown an extra finger, learn to play the banjo and marry your cousin! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭myles79

i like the cidona and vodka idea,sounds interesting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

bulmers may be the most expensive but is undoubtedly the best in every way other than that i'd stay away from those dry english ciders
    if i were you (magners) is the way to go:):):):):):):)
    i once paid over E7.50 for a botlle of 330ml cider

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

just so people know, bulmers in ireland = magners in england. Bulmers in england has the same bottle, virtually identical from the outside. Once you taste it you will know the difference.

Anyone know how much irish bulmers is up north or if its available?......in england its about 3.60 sterling, if you really like yer bulmers and yer feelin the financial pinch then maybe a day trip to the border might be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

8 cans for £10.50 in sainsburys newry last week. tried many other ciders but imo nothing compares to bulmers especially that english bulmers. Yuk!

myles79 wrote: »
    i like the cidona and vodka idea,sounds interesting:)
    I used to love cidona, then I used to drink bulmers at one time, got sick of it and now cannot look at cidona!

This will sound odd and would look odd but if you got cheap dry 6% cider you could add some cidona or even just regular apple juice into it to get it sweeter and more like bulmers. Bulmers always tasted like alcoholic apple juice to me, nothing like any other cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

ya cant go wrong with six cans of strongbow for e9 or 4 devils bit for e6. either are great value and not too bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

a trip up to sainsburys and youll be sorted!30 cans of stongbow 15 pound, and i got some sainsburys own brand flagans for 1.18 and its nice stuff!

i went out and bought 8x500ml cans of stonehouse 6 percent dry cider for 10 euro today gonna have them tonight!

i went out and bought 8x500ml cans of stonehouse 6 percent dry cider for 10 euro today gonna have them tonight!
    Remember that is 33% stronger than bulmers. If you usually drink 6 bulmers, then 4.5 cans of stonehouse is the same alcohol. And drink more water to counter the dehydration. I used to drink stonehouse all the time, gave up cider for ages and had it again and woke up with a horrendous headache. Cider is very high in methanol relative to other drinks. Even unfermented clear apple juice has methanol in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Stonehouse would be my choice, but not as a substitute. In my opinion it is the nicest cider on the market. Really dry and not that sweet.

It is pretty strong though.

have to say i was really impressed with stonehouse ..its gonna be my regular tipple from now on ,and yeh it is strong !!

have to say i was really impressed with stonehouse ..its gonna be my regular tipple from now on ,and yeh it is strong !!

How was the head this morning, 8 cans of that stuff would blow the head of ye :D:pac:

Nick

i managed 7 and i was fairly well oiled ,head wasnt too bad had plenty of sleep b4 work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Charlie 22 wrote: »
    If your talking about cans strongbow is as good as you can get very sweet though but most massed produced ciders are.
    I would second Strongbow as a good cheaper alternative to Bulmers. Its made by Bulmers in Clonmel and is very similar in taste, and the same 4.5 % abv. You'll get it for around 1.80 a can in your local offie or a little less in Tesco & Dunnes. Most places will also do the 6 cans for 9 Euro value packs. Its basically a cheaper version of Bulmers, its the one you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

For my tuppence, I cannot tell 'that' much of a difference between strongbow and bulmers (as strongbow in ireland is produced by bulmers) and at upwards of 70 cent a can difference, I can live with the slight difference (very slight)..

fbp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

There are rakes of cheap cider out there, but (IMO) if your starting point is Bulmers then you can only get better!! Bulmers is a terrible cider and doesn't even even compare to a real cider.

Just me two'pence worth.

Lidl were doing a nice, sweet Devon cider a while back....artifical as the next one but sweetened just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭glennb

there is not realy a lot of ciders the only 1ns i have had in ireland were bulmers which i think is horrible strongbow my favorite cider devils bite never had the cans though bottle tastes ****e after ten mins of opening it scrumpy jacks that is as rough as it gets druids is not much better but is one of the stronger ciders as for stone house i would sooner buy budwiser for the weather were having now linden village is perfect scortcher of a day pint glass some ice friends around the gaf and some decking furnitureu could relax the day away tesco does a cider cant remember its name they did cans 2 liter and 3 liter but it was rank there is a cider called koppenberg (dosent deserve to be called cider) u can get it in diffrent flavors of fruit which is a joke and finly the last 1 i can think of is called kiss which comes in straberry flavor probly mad for the women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

If your up in the North I think best best budget Cider is Symonds, cheap 2/3 litre plastic bottles but in my opinion taste nicer than Irish or English "bulmers" (but thats probably just because its got more kick) though just read on website that its just rebranded old english bulmers.
    http://www.ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Industrial_cider
    If you got the cash Westons make a nice range (like extra dry over ice) which is no more expensive than bulmers is in ROI.

Is it true that the high price of Bulmers and Magners was a delibrate part of their marketing to make cider a more respectabl drink?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RDM_83 wrote: »
    Is it true that the high price of Bulmers and Magners was a delibrate part of their marketing to make cider a more respectabl drink?
    I'd say so. In fact it's probably true of virtually all so-called "premium" (ie advertised on telly) mass-produced drinks. They try to avoid "brand devaluation", which most famously happened to Stella Artois in the UK: 29p a bottle and it becomes "Wife Beater". So they artificially inflate the price of the likes of Bulmers (and Guinness, and Heineken, and Bud, and Carlsberg, and Miller, and Coors Light) to make it seem like they're high-class brands; or at least to stop them seeming like the opposite.

Advertisement