Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Aston Villa

• 03-04-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭

sky sports 1 and KO 4.00
    b_12.pngvb_2.png

just listening to fergies press conference atm
    • Rio is expected to be fit
    • park available despite long trip back from Korea
    • Nev could get his first start
    • Tevez and ando will be Assessed when they return from internation duty

....................van der Sar

oshea....Rio....Evans....Evra

Ronaldo....Carrick...Fletcher...Park
    .......... welbeck......tevez

I would like to see this,even thou Nev is fit he was crap in the reserves and id dread to see him start(would like to see ando but he's injured)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As said in the United thread:

With regards to the game on Sunday, i'd be hoping for the following:

...........van der Sar
    O'Shea..Ferdinand..Evans..Evra

Ronaldo..Fletcher..Carrick..Park
    ..............Giggs
    ..............Tevez

Foster, Neville, Nani, Welbeck, Possebon, Fabio and.....not sure, maybe Lee Martin? Kiko could possibly be in the running too, but i'd go with Marin ahead of him as Martin could play on the wing or as an AM, so offers more versatility.

a few makeshift options upfront, with the possibility of playing Ronnie up there instead of Giggs, but i can't really see anything other than my suggested lineup starting. Bench is more iffy, with a few reserve team players likely to get in there due to the injuries and suspensions. Possebon will prob get the nod due to the lack of CMs, but i think James deserves it more. Kiko could get a call up after his hattrick against Newcastle, but I think Martin would be more deserving. Dunno really though.

Going to be a very tough game and is an absolute must win for United imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

going for a 1-0 utd win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Headshot wrote: »
    going for a 1-0 utd win

4-1 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's what I think lads, either a hard fought 1-0 win or a complete thumping. Either way Utd to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I just want United to start winning again tbh

That'd be just tip top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

2-0 to Villa

UTV!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I'd love United to win, but can't see it happening tbh. PLus Villa have Laursen back and he'll be a big help to them. They've really missed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Don't think we have Laursen back yet but I'm optimistic

10-0 :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

this is the one Villa fixture evey year i dont like predicting as i find it very hard usually to predict villa to pick up points, imo this is akin to Ireland vs Italy to Villa i.e a win would be great but i think everyone knows Villa fans would be happy with a draw. it might be a game too early for Villa's upturn and our full first 11 might finally be on show vs Everton with Freddy Bouma aswell as Laursen being match fit now.

some optimism though as:
    *Scholes suspended
    *Berbatov injured
    *Rooney suspended
    *Vidic suspennded

so ill go for 1-1 and a great point but it could easily be much worse if the recent Villa show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Utd have beaten Villa easily over the last few seasons. I think NRC wil be at RB for Villa which is not good. There a reports that Bouma might be back for us but to start against Ronaldo it will be hard. I hope Villa win but seen as its such a huge game for both teams i feel it will be very tight and see it as a one nil result either way as UTD are missing a Vidic i feel Crew could do damage to them.
    Villa Team:
    Friedel,
    NRC, Davies, Cuellar,L Young
    Milner,Petrov, Barry,A Young
    Agbonlahor, Carew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

tomred1 wrote: »
    Utd have beaten Villa easily over the last few seasons. I think NRC wil be at RB for Villa which is not good

to be fair NRC kept Ronaldo quiet at VP. I hope MON goes 451 now that Heskey is out but sure we thought he'd go 451 for the Pool game too.

I'd be delighted with a point,but not expecting anything.

O'Neill has revealed that left-back Wilfred Bouma has suffered a reaction in his rehabilitation to the dislocated ankle that has ruled him out for the past eight months.

Bouma played his third reserve game against Tottenham on Monday, but O'Neill added: "He is pretty sore at the moment.

"There is a bit of swelling over one of the protective screws in his ankle. It is irritating and quite painful but not a long-term worry. But he won't be able to play this Sunday."

The situation is not looking encouraging in terms of skipper Martin Laursen being fit enough to return to action this season.

The former Denmark international and Villa skipper suffered a reaction to his knee injury during Villa's recent training break in Dubai.

O'Neill had hoped the 30-year-old could return at Old Trafford but, when asked if Laursen will play again this season, he said: "I don't know, I don't know precisely, I don't know."

also Heskey is out and Gabby is in
    is that a good thing or a bad thing?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

terrible news about Laursen and Bouma though id say Bouma is more a we are wrapping him in cotten wool atm situation and wont be risking his comeback vs United

tbh out of Heskey, Carew and Gabby if i was a united fan id want Heskey to start id say Villa fans arent too annoyed with that one although wed obviously prefer if he was fit, just sitting on the bench whilst fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Will Macheda be in the squad since we have no sub strikers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

RasTa wrote: »
    Will Macheda be in the squad since we have no sub strikers

Will be Welbeck on the bench Id imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A scrappy 2-1 for United, with all the injuries/suspensions I'd be happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

can see this being a tough game for United. Last time we saw them they were in a bumpy run so interesting to see if they have got their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

"Gary played for the reserves on Monday and he did very well. He needed the game and that showed in the second half," Ferguson added.

"We only planned to use him for an hour and that's what it turned out to be.

"His training performances have been very good on Wednesday and today so he certainly comes into the picture.

"If he feels strongly about starting on Sunday I will consider it."

VDS
    Neville
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Fletcher
    Carrick
    Giggs
    Park
    Tevez
    Ronaldo

Thnik we'll see something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Mgoraf wrote: »

VDS
    Neville
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra
    Fletcher
    Carrick
    Giggs
    Park
    Tevez
    Ronaldo

Thnik we'll see something like that.

Think this could be it but with JOS instead of Neville.

I think Ronaldo does well up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

C'mon Villa.!

• Advertisement

Think this could be it but with JOS instead of Neville.

I think Ronaldo does well up front.

The gaffuhh seems to want Gaz starting
    Podge2k7 wrote: »
    C'mon United

fyp

UNITED could have a teenage back-up to lone senior forward Carlos Tevez against Aston Villa on Sunday.

And the biggest beneficiary to the Reds' suspension and injury-blighted attack could be 17-year-old Italian prodigy Federico Macheda.

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson is having to plan the champions' rehab after successive defeats against Liverpool and Fulham without banned Wayne Rooney.

He'll serve a one-game suspension for his red card at Fulham but his absence is compounded by the probable loss of Dimitar Berbatov who is a major doubt after suffering an ankle injury at Craven Cottage.

The Bulgarian missed his country's international schedule and is unlikely to be ready to play Villa at Old Trafford.

Though Fergie can deploy either Cristiano Ronaldo or Ryan Giggs as a makeshift partner for Tevez, he will need some firepower on the bench.

Danny Welbeck has been on England Under-21 duty this week and featured as a substitute on Tuesday when Stuart Pearce's youngsters went down 2-0 to France.

Talent

He will certainly come into Fergie's thinking as he already has appeared in 10 senior matches this term.

But there could be an SOS promotion for highly-rated Roman striker Macheda as a reward for an eye-catching hat-trick in United's 3-3 reserve draw on Monday night.

`Kiko' opened with a well struck cool penalty at St James' Park but his two open play finishes were first class.

The teenage hitman, plucked from Lazio's youth system by United in 2007, has made good progress and been elevated to Ole Solskjaer's reserve squad.

Old Trafford legend Solskjaer has already outlined Macheda's potential. He told M.E.N Sport: "Federico is a big talent. He has the ability and can score goals. It is not easy to leave your home country at 16 and come to a new culture.

"But he signed pro in August last year and has buckled down. We expected him to make progress and he has."

im hoping he'll be on the bench and maybe with 10-20 mins to go get a game
    of course it depends on how the game is going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

im hoping he'll be on the bench and maybe with 10-20 mins to go get a game
    of course it depends on how the game is going

Can't wait to see him for the seniors, but I think at this stage it might be a tad too soon. Bring on the carling cup defense :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

VDS
    O'Shea--Rio
    Evans--Evra
    Fletcher-Carrick
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Nani
    Tevez

Ando may come in for fletcher.
    Park may come in for Nani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Tevez up front one his own just won't work. We need to play either Ronaldo up there (he can do a job as a front man) or maybe Welbeck and lets see if he's as good as he could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

4-0 united.

With Helix calling for MON to resign immediately after the match, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

We need to beat Villa. We have 3 teams that are serious ties in Spurs, City and Arsenal coming up too. I think the way things have turned out we have one of the hardest run ins in a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I have a feeling that, given it's the first game back after the international break, we could well see a draw in both the Villa and Fulham game.

what an important game tomorrow people

bum.jpg
    .....................Time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

what an important game tomorrow people

bum.jpg
    .....................Time

Yes it is so COME ON VILLA!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Man U 1 [giggs]

Villa 0

FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'm nervous but seriously if we can't beat Villa then maybe it's just not our year. We do usually comfortably beat them but I wouldn't put it past Freidel to have another superman performance against us. 2-0 United (i hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tomorrow I think will come down to Ronaldo taking his chances. He's gona get them, and he's the most clinical player we have, so we need him to take them. He loves playing Villa too.

I'm getting excited already.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I have serious doubt in my mind that United will faulter here. Mainly due to their excellent record against Villa and Villa's recent poor form, (is 2-3 months recent?). Anyway, praying for a win for MON here. United have been in much worse positions with a hell of a lot more pressure on them to win, (last year springs to mind), so they won't be affected by that I believe.
    However, United have some issues which 'could' cause a hiccup of some sort. Vidic, Scholes, Rooney and Berbatov out. Ronaldo can't take a free kick to save his life at the moment and Neville may be put in the squad.
    Squeaky bum time for UTD as said before but maybe it's possible that AV will fly out of the traps, score an early goal and then park the bus.
    Hope it's a good game. Actually feck that, hope it's a dire, boring as hell 1-0 to the villa!

Prediction 2-0 Utd

Come on Villa! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-0 United I'd say

Ronnie to score both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

TBH if Utd can't beat Villa at the moment they don't deserve the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm preying Villa can get a result here, but I can't see it. Their form completely took a nose-dive over the last few weeks, and United aren't in a habit of losing three on the bounce.

That said, it's not as clear cut as it might be. United's squad is hit by suspensions and injuries, while Villa were fortunate to have Friedel's red card revoked. And while both teams needed the international break, United are welcoming back Park and Tevez from the other side of the world. Tevez also played a physically draining game at high-altitude, which they lost 6-0!

And if United have one eye on their midweek CL fixture, it might open the door that little bit more for Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cant see past Utd for at least a 2 goal win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

although i would love to see villa get a result i cant see it happening,utd usually get a result when the need it ,missing a few today but still plenty of quality to pick from will go for a 2 nil win

• Advertisement

Come on Villa! :)
    Oi !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Highsider wrote: »
    TBH if Utd can't beat Villa at the moment they don't deserve the title.

TBH if they've more points than anyone else at the end of the season they do.

I'm gonna remain positive and predict a nil all draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

not a hope or a prayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Trilla wrote: »
    TBH if they've more points than anyone else at the end of the season they do.

exactly.

sweeping statements like the one you're responding to are absolute bull****.

sure if Utd cant beat Fulham they dont deserve to win the league
    sure if Liverpool can't beat Stoke they don't deserve to win the league
    etc
    etc

thats not how football works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Villain wrote: »
    not a hope or a prayer
    is this realism or pessimism

Or even Gareth Barry to get the winner for Villa :pac:

Actually can't wait for this match....................will probably have it turned off by half time though!!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    exactly.

sweeping statements like the one you're responding to are absolute bull****.

sure if Utd cant beat Fulham they dont deserve to win the league
    sure if Liverpool can't beat Stoke they don't deserve to win the league
    etc
    etc

thats not how football works.
    Indeed... Just as no team is "too good" to be relegated! If you don't have the points, then you're not too good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

unfortunately for us pool fans united to skate this.

Mon will do as he did at Anfield and leave the midfield wide open for United to attack them and the pace of Ronaldo etc will be too much.

Easy win by 2 or more.

raven136 wrote: »
    unfortunately for us pool fans united to skate this.

Mon will do as he did at Anfield and leave the midfield wide open for United to attack them and the pace of Ronaldo etc will be too much.

Easy win by 2 or more.

I wish i had your confidence

• Advertisement
Advertisement