Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car Advice

• 03-04-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

so just started driving am 23 and was never into cars till now and thats only cause i got behind the wheel and got the bug

but i don't know much about what to look for in a first car, I'm not looking to spend lots just 1 / 2 g. but i am very worried about buying a lemon

i was talking to a friend and he said that on your first car you would take anything just to have one, which is true as i was thinking of a 1L till my instructor changed his car from a 1.2 corsa to a 1.6 mini, i couldn't believe the difference and as a result i have decided that 1.4 to 1.6 is what im looking for.
    also i was talking to a good mechanic and he said stay away from peugeot which is an obvious first car choice for a lot of people

i also want it to look good... maybe I'm asking for too much for the price range.#
    I was looking at a hyundai coupe which i though looked cool but another tread said it was a girls car, so I'm a bit disappointed.
    I was also looking at a ford focus which i think is cool

any advice would be great, thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭target assassin

lol and two seconds after i left this post my sisters friend just pulled up in a hyundai coupe!!!! Maybe it is a girls car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Could be hard to get a focus for under 2k. Id say look for a corolla good first car and still look good imo. As for the hyundai coupe if your a hair dresser go for it:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

At under €2,000, i'd focus on the actual car rather than the make & model. How about a Fiesta 1.25? They're nippy, good to drive, cheap to service/repair, and tax & insurance won't be too bad either. You could probably get something like this for €1800: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1367032

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Why not go the bit extra and buy Cyrus' car off him? :D
    he's dying to get rid of that auld yolk!

thanks for the reply

is a 1.2 actually nippy??? dont get me wrong i dont plan on speeding but you kinda want the power for over taking someone dont u?

and not too sure about the festi lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm another secret male admirer of the coupe. It's a toss up between it and a celica as my next (realistic) priced car. My first car was and is a 96 Mazda 323F 1.5L, not a bad car but I would mention that as I was 23 male first time driver that some insurance companies wouldn't give me a quote because it was a 1.5L so keep it in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

thanks for the reply

is a 1.2 actually nippy??? dont get me wrong i dont plan on speeding but you kinda want the power for over taking someone dont u?

and not too sure about the festi lol

how about a clio? small car so having a 1.2 in them makes them nice and nippy. bulletproof cars too...

...so you wont be assasinated

\O/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,550 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote: »
    At under €2,000, i'd focus on the actual car rather than the make & model. How about a Fiesta 1.25? They're nippy, good to drive, cheap to service/repair, and tax & insurance won't be too bad either. You could probably get something like this for €1800: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1367032

+1

also im doing my c-license soon so im not afraid of bigger cars

again thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

get a lambogini, or a ford fiesta

• Advertisement

ummm lambogini, i didnt think of that..... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Might be best to get something like a Fiesta to learn in; that way your insurance will be low-ish and you won't mind if you give it a knock. Once you pass your test, your insurance should become cheaper (and you will have improved your driving) and you can reward yourself by upgrading to something a bit more powerful. I started in a 1.2L punto two years ago and switched to a 1.6L focus when i passed by test six months later.

cool ty, i plan to pass my test b4 i buy the car, know it will be a few weeks but my instructor thinks im able for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Nothing wrong with the fiesta,i had 01 1.25 for nearly 3 years,great car,I sold it to the missus so I still get it take it out for a spin,
    I waited until my insurance came down and got some experience on the road to get a bigger car,dont be bothered what people think of your car seeing as its your first one

I know someone planning on getting a Audi TT as his first car.....after he passes his test obviously :)

im sure they are great cars

audi tt i wish

He wishes too,I give it two months before he crashes it

he a fast driver or just a bad one?

I wouldnt know,he doesnt drive..hes only had a handful of lessons.
    Its just lack of experience and a relatively powerful car can end in disaster

maybe he will be sensible and not push the car if he cant handle it!

i have done **** loads of lessons so fingers crossed ill be ok till i get more experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,550 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

i plan to pass my test b4 i buy the car

I like your attitude. If more people were like that, people would be safer drivers and insurance premiums would come down for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

With no no-claims bonus to your name, you'd be wiser to opt for a smaller engine. If you're a guy with no experience, you'll pay through the nose for a larger engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NEM30

What about a Golf or Polo? Their unisex and reliable. You can go for the smaller engine. For your price range you could get the older model but still a nice car!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

NEM30 wrote: »
    What about a Golf or Polo? Their unisex and reliable. You can go for the smaller engine. For your price range you could get the older model but still a nice car!!!

He did mention that he would like to be able to overtake , although if you bought the golf you should be able to overtake (when it works) a polo given a long stretch of road and a tail wind.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Would a 1.2 Ford Fiesta (the old ones, around the year 2000) handle our 120 kph motorways?

I'd be wary of using one on the motorway if it was going to be stretched to it's absolute limits going 120 kph, because it's always good to have a bit of juice left for overtaking / pulling away out of a dangerous situation etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I drove on motorways and around the wicklow mountains in my little punto so i reckon the fiesta would be ok.

I know everyone says start with a Polo, but you know how it is - when you fall in love with cars, you fall hard. You can't picture yourself spitting around in a polo for three years until you can afford to change again.

thanks for all the coments

ok what do we think, good buy or lemon?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Polo/1.4-5Dr-/200914192358416/advert

Make VolkswagenModelPolo
    Price €999
    Engine 1.4 Petrol
    Body Type Hatchback
    Year 1999
    mileage 67,000 M / 107,826 KM

Metallic paintwork, Side Impact Protection System, Radio/CD, Colour coding - Body, Colour coding - Interior.
    Trade Sale Phone Tony On # 0858277856 Anytime Veiwing Anytime Day Or Night...Bargain Buy NCT'ed 01-11 First To See Will Buy...!!!

Advertisement