Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bonus Points for goals?

• 03-04-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2009/04/03/arsene-wenger-says-teams-should-get-extra-points-for-scoring-goals-is-he-right
    No one is disputing the fact that the Premier League is exciting, but there have been fewer goals this term (just 2.45 goals per game so far this season, compared to 2.64 in 2007/08).

Arsene Wenger - whose side have had more goalless draws than Cristiano Ronaldo had has hot prostitutes - believes a rule change should be introduced in order to reward teams who ripple the net more often. Speaking to the official Arsenal magazine, he said:

“I would like to see a scheme brought in where you get more points for scoring more goals.

“In France they experimented with something before. When you scored three goals, you got an extra point. It was not a good system because you didn’t care how many goals you conceded.

“A fairer system would be three points for a victory as now, then extra points for your positive goal difference.

“For example, if you win 6-3, you get three points for the win, plus three more for the goal difference, while the team that loses gets none.”

The proposals could be highly beneficial: fans would almost certainly see a lot more goals, and managers would be discouraged from using cynical defensive tactics on away trips.

However, awarding points for greater winning margins could also help to create a gulf between the bigger teams and the rest of the league. The only sides who tend to win by big margins are the Big Four, who would accelerate away from the rest of the pack if bonus points were dished out.

Do you think points should be awarded for bigger winning margins? Don’t keep it to yourself, share the love below…

In principle I like the idea but I can see it getting seriously messy if it were to be introduced (which it won't be)
    But hypothetically would you welcome a move like this?

Would you welcome this move? 25 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    12% 3 votes
    Couldn't Care Less
    88% 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Frisbee wrote: »
    would you welcome a move like this?

No

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, no, no. No way, no how, no where.

Didnt even read the article but no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

awful idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Leave football alone FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

(just 2.45 goals per game so far this season, compared to 2.64 in 2007/08).
    So what?
    Its been one of the most exciting in a good few years both at the top and bottom of the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I read this on another site:
    Since you ask, if this particular scheme was employed this season then Liverpool would be top by a point, while Arsenal - currently ten points off top spot - would be 21 back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Another Wenger classic. It's on the list with his nasty defenders can't tackle my ickle players rule proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maybe people could provide reasons for why they don't like the idea...?

CHD wrote: »
    Leave football alone FFS!

Bring back pass backs, goals with no cross bars and no substitutions!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If you want to really encourage attacking football, make it 4 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss. But to be honest, I think the balance is pretty good as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

It would be unfair as fuk as only the big sides are regularly capable of doing it. They would be even further ahead ffs !

One bonus point for every five clean sheets would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

redout wrote: »

One bonus point for every five clean sheets would be a good idea.

That would just promote more defensive football, and nobody wants that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Smegball wrote: »
    That would just promote more defensive football,

Thus improving the weaker teams of the divisions defence and making them harder to beat and resulting in a more open league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Stupid idea. No times a billion trillion. No No. I'm not having this. No

Ridiculous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

stovelid wrote: »
    Another Wenger classic. It's on the list with his nasty defenders can't tackle my ickle players rule proposal.

I don't get what this has to do with goals?
    Also what rule proposal is there that you can't tackle Arsenal players put forward by Wenger?
    Dave! wrote: »

this

It will never happen, if it did though at least it might get rid of the ten men behind the ball tactic that leads to ridiculously boring games of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Quint wrote: »
    I read this on another site:

Quote:
    Since you ask, if this particular scheme was employed this season then Liverpool would be top by a point, while Arsenal - currently ten points off top spot - would be 21 back

Fantastic idea, this. Implement it straight away. Football needs more progressive thinking like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote: »
    If you want to really encourage attacking football, make it 4 points for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss. But to be honest, I think the balance is pretty good as it is.

maybe a point for scoring more than three in a match might work, but like the Rugby, but I agree, it's balanced as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dave! wrote: »

I can provide you with the only arguement as to why it should eb brought in. Other than this there is only negative ones.
    Quint wrote: »
    if this particular scheme was employed this season then Liverpool would be top by a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Frisbee wrote: »
    Also what rule proposal is there that you can't tackle Arsenal players put

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think that changing the allocation of points could be worthwhile but this suggestion doesn't appeal to me at all..

I often thought that the following allocations might work:

1 point - scoreless draw
    2 point - score draw
    4 points - win
    5 points - win with a goal margin of 3 or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

I think that changing the allocation of points could be worthwhile but this suggestion doesn't appeal to me at all..

1 point - scoreless draw
    2 point - score draw
    4 points - win

imagine the last day of the season permutations that this would bring!

i think the 3 for a win and 1 for a draw works fine, although the above without the 5 points would see less scoreless draws.

1 point - scoreless draw
    2 point - score draw
    4 points - win

Picture the scene on the last day of a season where two teams playing would be safe form relegation if they got two points, but another team would go down instead of them.

They'd go out and score a goal each in the first minute, then play around in each other's half for 85 minutes.

A non starter imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This idea would really screw the smaller and promoted teams. They'd be encouraged to effectively go out, try to play, and get spanked.

Teams parking the bus is obviously frustrating for every team, but watching constant last gasp efforts to block shots etc can be great too.

This season has been one of the most exciting i can remember in a long time, so i'm against anything that changes it.

Des wrote: »
    Picture the scene on the last day of a season where two teams playing would be safe form relegation if they got two points, but another team would go down instead of them.

They'd go out and score a goal each in the first minute, then play around in each other's half for 85 minutes.

A non starter imo.

What you have described is basically match fixing though.

Anyway, I haven't really thought about it for more than 30 seconds but I always wondered whether it might be a decent idea.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This idea would really screw the smaller and promoted teams. They'd be encouraged to effectively go out, try to play, and get spanked.

That is what they effectively do in La Liga anyway..

What you have described is basically match fixing though.

Do you remember Italia 90?

Do you remember Ireland and Holland "match fixing" in that tournament?

Once it got to 1-1, they pretty much kicked the ball from keeper to keeper for twenty minutes, much as I described above.

:)

It isn't match fixing unless it can be proved.

Stopping playing after they both got goals is one thing but both agreeing to concede a goal each and stop playing is that bit worse. Also, different times ;)

Advertisement