Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Psychology masters Galway

• 03-04-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

Anyone have any opinions on the Health Psych masters in Galway? Considering applying but would love to hear from someone who has done/is doing it. Is it possible to get a decent job after it or is it more of a feeder into further postgrad research? Also, the fees aren't listed on the website and I haven't heard back from the fees office so does anyone know how much it costs?!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 yapster

i know a few people who have completed this course. One is now do counselling psych, and the other has finished a research phd. In 2004 or 2005 (not sure) the course was cancelled at very short notice and some of the successful candidates were told by voicemail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

I only know one person who did this course. They subsequently did a research PhD, also related to health, and got an academic job as a result. My impression was that there was not a lot of work around for someone with just the masters qualification, but that was a few years ago now and things may have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

It does sound like an interesting course but at the same time (as with a lot of Psychology courses!) it doesn't seem like it would be too easy to get a job straight after doing it. Anybody out there who has managed to get a job after doing a health psychology postgrad?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fgal

Te first thing I would check is whether they have got their accreditation in order. This was a big problem a few years ago as people completed the course and their qualifications weren't recognnised. Also, bear in mind that there are no current Health Psychologist positions in the HSE, which would be the main employer of psychologists so you would spend alot of your time trying to convince an employer of what you could offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genevieve

I heard it is a great MA particularly if you want to progress into clinical psychology.

• Advertisement
Advertisement