Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag rugger

Options
  • 03-04-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of joining tag this summer so as to get to some level of fitness and to get more active. Anyone here taking part? Who do i call to join? Would prob be looking to join a team as oppossed to setting one up. Would be looking at the beginner league too. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

frag420 wrote: »
    I am thinking of joining tag this summer so as to get to some level of fitness and to get more active. Anyone here taking part? Who do i call to join? Would prob be looking to join a team as oppossed to setting one up. Would be looking at the beginner league too. Anyone have any ideas?

Ok I'm still old and not 'down' with the kids! What is tag???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

its kinda like a non contact version of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's a non contact version of rugby. The game in it's real form is very physical and requires massive strenght and good fitness. Tag is rugby's way of appealing to the casual player, like five-a-side football.

Basically you wear a belt or shorts with velcro tags, which the tackler pulls off. When this happens, the ball must be recycled like at a ruck. Women are encouraged to play and many leagues stipulate each team must have 2-3 women playing. More points are awarded for trys scored by women. It's currently booming in Ireland.

As far as I know there's a competition held over the summer at the rugby club in Strandhill. The IRFU have details. I believe people have to enter a team however, but they might be able to put you in contact with a team looking for players.
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/tag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Thanks for explanation! love to see that one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.irishrugby.ie/tagrugby/15242_15492.php

Players without Teams or Teams seeking Players need not panic!
    There are two methods of finding a Team or Player in Bud Light Tag.

1) Register on the Members Forum which is found HERE. Within that Forum is a section dedicated to Finding A Team or Player. All you need to do is start a new thread saying where you are situated and the grade you wish to play. Bear in mind, that this section will be quite quiet until around the end of March.

2) Another way to get into a team and in our opinion, the best method, is to turn up on the first night of the season. This is usually an Open Night so the leagues won't have started. Locate your local friendly Venue Manager and let them know you're looking for a team in a certain grade. Presto! You're in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

il gatto wrote: »
    More points are awarded for trys scored by women.

Why? If the physical strength element is removed? what advantage do men have that results in less points for effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Average man runs faster than the average woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

As Xiney said, men are generally faster than women. Also tend to find men have seen alot more of the sport and are more likely to be better positionally and tactically as a result. And men usually have played more field sports, especially relevant in Ireland where many GAA skills are useful in rugby.
    No reason a fast woman who has watched loads of rugby over the years won't score more than an out of shape guy who only watches rugby when the Primiership isn't on. Trick is to get that woman on your team:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Ah I see... I guess it is set to encourage women to play as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

got a team sorted at last. for an on contact sport i have so far recieved bruised ribs, twisted ankle and a few cool scars on my knee!!

I also realise i am as fit as sh!t!!

Wonder can anyone donate a difibrilator as im sure i will require it at some stage. Heres to a healthy summer...........................

• Advertisement
Advertisement