Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an IM client

Options
  • 03-04-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

As per the title, now that I can send programs into the background, I can have IM running all the time. :)

Any recommendations? Preferably free, I use both MSN and Yahoo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Fring and Nimbuzz are both free and allow you use MSN and Yahoo amongst other IM clients. I don't have alot of experience of IM on iphone or ipod but I've used both of those and they were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭alter200

I use Palringo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

chilly wrote: »
    Fring and Nimbuzz are both free and allow you use MSN and Yahoo amongst other IM clients. I don't have alot of experience of IM on iphone or ipod but I've used both of those and they were good.

Just tried Nimbuzz, looks excellent. Thanks.
    alter200 wrote: »
    I use Palringo

Tried that, didn't like it as much as Nimbuzz. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Been looking at a few of these IM apps aswell lately. The ones mentioned above are all pretty good and similar in funtionality. My only gripe with them is that they can't/don't provide a visual notification on the home screen of a new message (like a new SMS, or missed call). You have to actually go into the app to check for new messages. I'm assuming this is not by design, but rather some sort of restriction by Apple???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Push notifications are being implemented in the 3.0 update in the Summer: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/sdk.html

After that, apps will be able to notify you when you get a new message.

• Advertisement

cool, will make those apps much more usable...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Gryzor wrote: »
    Been looking at a few of these IM apps aswell lately. The ones mentioned above are all pretty good and similar in funtionality. My only gripe with them is that they can't/don't provide a visual notification on the home screen of a new message (like a new SMS, or missed call). You have to actually go into the app to check for new messages. I'm assuming this is not by design, but rather some sort of restriction by Apple???

The reason you couldn't have a notification on the home screen was because the apps could not run in the background. :)

I'm going to try Backgrounder today with Nimbuzz to see how it works out running in the background. It does vibrate, plus make a noise when a message comes in.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The reason you couldn't have a notification on the home screen was because the apps could not run in the background. :)

gotcha ;)
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'm going to try Backgrounder today with Nimbuzz to see how it works out running in the background. It does vibrate, plus make a noise when a message comes in.

i have it running with backgrounder, works well if u have the phone on you. It'll just be alot more useful when notifications are possible methinks..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I've used many and BeeJive is the best IM client i've come across but its not free. I use it all the time and its fantastic. Never crashes, stores all previous chats, landscape typing, push email alerts. You can stay signed in for up to 24 hours if you wish.

If you have it running with backgrounder you'll get a vibrate and a number by the icon.

8273.png

Advertisement