Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I smell a conspiracy!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

tell me more about your conspiracy, im to lazy to go into links........
    whats your own conspiracy opinion!?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Post here if you think something is being done for a bigger purpose but can't quite put your finger on why you think so. Or just if something doesn't smell right.

Australian bushfires - Australian government now using satellite imagery to foresee acts of god... and other countries maybe following suit

http://www.sciencewa.net.au/index.php?Itemid=587&id=658&option=com_content&task=view

The big bang recreation experiment - eh seriously?:eek: spending millions on an underground series of tunnels... and we're supposed to believe it's cos scientists now literally have the ability to play God?

http://media.www.dailyvidette.com/media/storage/paper420/news/2008/09/16/News/Big-Bang.Recreation.In.The.Making-3432144.shtml

Are you for real?

Have you been to Australia? There are vast basically empty spaces so how would you suggest they watch for forest fires? Although I assume you think they're watching you on the toilet or something, as they'd have nothing better to do.

You don't actually understand what the Hadron Collider does do you? I'll leave the explanation to someone more knowledgeable that me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

The big bang recreation experiment - eh seriously?:eek: spending millions on an underground series of tunnels... and we're supposed to believe it's cos scientists now literally have the ability to play God?

http://media.www.dailyvidette.com/media/storage/paper420/news/2008/09/16/News/Big-Bang.Recreation.In.The.Making-3432144.shtml

That not what the LHC is going to do.

But tell us what do you think it's for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Post here if you think something is being done for a bigger purpose but can't quite put your finger on why you think so. Or just if something doesn't smell right.
    jonbravo wrote: »
    tell me more about your conspiracy, im to lazy to go into links........
    whats your own conspiracy opinion!?:)

I think the unlined explains very well what this thread is about. I also think its a good idea for a thread.

You being lazy isn't really anyone elses problem but your own.

Lads, read the OP again and try get an idea of what this thread is about. Not every thread isa debate thread and people dont need to post in every thread.

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    I think the unlined explains very well what this thread is about. I also think its a good idea for a thread.

You being lazy isn't really anyone elses problem but your own.
    true...........
    im lookin for an opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

Lads, read the OP again and try get an idea of what this thread is about. Not every thread isa debate thread and people dont need to post in every thread.

Thank you... I was hoping for something light and friendly:p

The bushfire thing... while I think the fires were awful (my sister's living near Melbourne so it was quite scary) the fact that almost immediately the govt started talking about satellites kinda made me think a bit... usually if a crime is committed (they were talking about arson) you have to think who is set to benefit from it. And, I'm sure that it is genuinely just a good idea to try and prevent it happening again... but it still made me question intentions or using natural (or other) disasters to give a government more power as is often the case :o

The big bang thing... well to me (someone who knows and cares little for science admittedly :o ) just seemed completely ridiculous.

Lads, read the OP again and try get an idea of what this thread is about. Not every thread is a debate thread and people dont need to post in every thread.

It's a good point 6th. But there really really isn't a CT here in what the OP posted. Only my opinion of course but personal paranoia doesn't make something a CT or even close.

Ooohh one I've seriously been questioning recently. Remember the earthquakes in Ireland and England a year or two ago? Well the papers said that they were aftershocks from Norways biggest ever earthquake in Svalbard (a Norwegian island). Well I was wondering why that sounded familiar... around the same time, that was where they opened the 'Global seed vault' (literally within a week of eachother... just seemed strange to me:o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

Only a couple of weeks ago, Svalbard had another earthquake... eclipsing the previous 'biggest ever in Norway' :o

http://www.norwaypost.no/content/view/21728/26/

Thank you... I was hoping for something light and friendly:p

Sorry if I was unfriendly but just don't see any CT.
    The bushfire thing... while I think the fires were awful (my sister's living near Melbourne so it was quite scary) the fact that almost immediately the govt started talking about satellites kinda made me think a bit... usually if a crime is committed (they were talking about arson) you have to think who is set to benefit from it. And, I'm sure that it is genuinely just a good idea to try and prevent it happening again... but it still made me question intentions or using natural (or other) disasters to give a government more power as is often the case :o

It's called pyromania http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyromania

How do you think they should stop it in this vast country/continent?

• Advertisement

meglome wrote: »
    It's a good point 6th. But there really really isn't a CT here in what the OP posted. Only my opinion of course but personal paranoia doesn't make something a CT or even close.

isn't there a CT here?:o

The big bang idea came from me discussing this with others... many of whom didn't buy it either. Where do you think CT's come from?

Ooohh one I've seriously been questioning recently. Remember the earthquakes in Ireland and England a year or two ago? Well the papers said that they were aftershocks from Norways biggest ever earthquake in Svalbard (a Norwegian island). Well I was wondering why that sounded familiar... around the same time, that was where they opened the 'Global seed vault' (literally within a week of eachother... just seemed strange to me:o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

Only a couple of weeks ago, Svalbard had another earthquake... eclipsing the previous 'biggest ever in Norway' :o

http://www.norwaypost.no/content/view/21728/26/

There are earthquakes all over the world every day, even in Ireland (although not every day). There are something like 25 large seed banks around the world, how many are in earthquake zones?

Sorry if I was unfriendly but just don't see any CT.

It's called pyromania http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyromania

How do you think they should stop it in this vast country/continent?

That's ok :D

I don't know... and I'm pretty sure it IS a good idea... BUT, back to the original post, something doesn't quite sit right with me about it and I'm not sure why.

I know what pyromania is, thank you :)

isn't there a CT here?:o

The big bang idea came from me discussing this with others... many of whom didn't buy it either. Where do you think CT's come from?

You admit to not understanding what they are doing and yet you see a CT without that understanding?

There are earthquakes all over the world every day, even in Ireland (although not every day). There are something like 25 large seed banks around the world, how many are in earthquake zones?

There are no seedbanks like this one (built into a mountain.. can withstand a nuclear holocaust... and yet.. how the hell is anyone gonna find it much less OPEN if after a holocaust? Considering the vast security measures :D).

Of course there are earthquakes all over the world every day... just seemed strange that I'd never heard of that island before and, within a week, it made the news twice... it's quite conceiveable that something built into a mountain and able to withstand nuclear holocaust may not necessarily be what it seems.

That's ok :D

I don't know... and I'm pretty sure it IS a good idea... BUT, back to the original post, something doesn't quite sit right with me about it and I'm not sure why.

I know what pyromania is, thank you :)

You know what pyromania is but the only suggestion you offered for arson is profit. When to my understanding most fires are accidental or intentional (not for profit) and only a small number are shown to be for profit.

Every day humans have feelings, intuitions perhaps that something isn't quite right. Sometime these proven to be founded in some reality and sometimes they are not. Now since you seem to see quite a number of CT's in many different places maybe, just maybe you are seeing more than is actually there.

So the logic here is: "I don't understand something therefore it must be a conspiracy"?

You admit to not understanding what they are doing and yet you see a CT without that understanding?

yep:)

You know what pyromania is but the only suggestion you offered for arson is profit. When to my understanding most fires are accidental or intentional (not for profit) and only a small number are shown to be for profit.

Every day humans have feelings, intuitions perhaps that something isn't quite right. Sometime these proven to be founded in some reality and sometimes they are not. Now since you seem to see quite a number of CT's in many different places maybe, just maybe you are seeing more than is actually there.

Oh I know I do... that's just cos I find conspiracy theories to be more fun than the accepted story.

I still think you're missing the point of this thread :o

King Mob wrote: »
    So the logic here is: "I don't understand something therefore it must be a conspiracy"?

Nope, there's plenty I don't understand but some things just feel like we're not getting the full story cos the official story doesn't add up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Heineken Helen...

I fail to see the conspiracy theory connection you are attempting to make between:
    • Satellite imaging to fight fires in Australian outback
    • Large Hadron Collider near Geneva to test the Big Bang theory
    • Spitsbergen (Norway) earthquakes and the Svalbard Global Seed Vault
    Can you explain and clarify your position (because I don't see it)?

Nope, there's plenty I don't understand but some things just feel like we're not getting the full story cos the official story doesn't add up.
    But if you don't understand the official story how do you know it doesn't add up.
    For an example what doesn't add up about the LHC?

i think you,ve being watching 2 much of ' detective columbo `.:)
    you cant just go on a feeling, for it to make sense.

Oh I know I do... that's just cos I find conspiracy theories to be more fun than the accepted story.

I still think you're missing the point of this thread :o

I believe there is a creative writing forum if you wanna make up some fun stories.

Ok lads, if some comes in and say they dont know why but they think something is a CT. Educate them if you think you can but be civil.

I believe there is a creative writing forum if you wanna make up some fun stories.

Cop on.

Cop on.

Sorry :o

But still though.

Sorry :o

But still though.

But still nothing. Any more of that and you can expect an infraction or a ban. Smilies dont excuse anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think you're being a little unfair. It makes sense to be suspicious of events when they're dramatic and you have no way of getting the full story. The problem lies with trying to inform yourself.

A good example is the whole "US government being behind 9/11" thingy. Many people claimed that it was all planned and listed out what they saw as inconsistencies in the official story. Others pointed out that many of the inconsistencies were wrong. But some CT'er would not be swayed. Some felt that the US government had to be involved and so no matter what evidence was given to them, they would refuse to accept it.

I'm sure the opposite could be claimed too, where skeptics are concerned. So, this is a long winded (and pointlessly confusing) way of saying that it's OK to have a staring position of suspicion as long as your willing to take the evidence on what it is, and not try and fit the evidence to what you believe.

Does that make any sense? Or should I just leave and have a nap? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

The big bang thing... well to me (someone who knows and cares little for science admittedly :o ) just seemed completely ridiculous.

Well to be blunt, I'm not surprised. You haven't looked into it, don't know much about science and referring to it as the "big bang thing" is inaccurate and sensationalist to say the least.

Edit: It's not a "big bang" thing, it's a particle accelerator. It will (hopefully) demonstrate the existence (or lack thereof) of some theorised particles (higg bosons) and some other ideas. Particle accelerators are nothing new. This is just the most powerful built to date.

humanji wrote: »
    I think you're being a little unfair. It makes sense to be suspicious of events when they're dramatic and you have no way of getting the full story. The problem lies with trying to inform yourself.

A good example is the whole "US government being behind 9/11" thingy. Many people claimed that it was all planned and listed out what they saw as inconsistencies in the official story. Others pointed out that many of the inconsistencies were wrong. But some CT'er would not be swayed. Some felt that the US government had to be involved and so no matter what evidence was given to them, they would refuse to accept it.

I'm sure the opposite could be claimed too, where skeptics are concerned. So, this is a long winded (and pointlessly confusing) way of saying that it's OK to have a staring position of suspicion as long as your willing to take the evidence on what it is, and not try and fit the evidence to what you believe.

I agree with you within reason.

The only thing i'd mention is the OP wasn't pointing out any specific conspiracy nor supplying any evidence for any conspiracy. So it's difficult to help especially with the topics the OP is suspicious about, which frankly don't seem suspicious at all.

I agree with you within reason.

The only thing i'd mention is the OP wasn't pointing out any specific conspiracy nor supplying any evidence for any conspiracy. So it's difficult to help especially with the topics the OP is suspicious about, which frankly don't seem suspicious at all.
    couldnt agree more!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Heineken Helen...

I fail to see the conspiracy theory connection you are attempting to make between:
    • Satellite imaging to fight fires in Australian outback
    • Large Hadron Collider near Geneva to test the Big Bang theory
    • Spitsbergen (Norway) earthquakes and the Svalbard Global Seed Vault
    Can you explain and clarify your position (because I don't see it)?

Heineken Helen... I'm still waiting for you to connect the dots and demonstrate how this qualifies as a conspiracy theory.

Heineken Helen... I'm still waiting for you to connect the dots and demonstrate how this qualifies as a conspiracy theory.

Relax... I was at the pub :)

Ok... firstly when governments start talking about satellites straight after a natural disaster, it's slightly suspicious.

An international group build a big underground collection of tunnels costing millions.. for a science experiment? An experiment which I've yet had somebody adequately explain to me... so it's recreating the conditions directly after the big bang... how is that more important than finding a cure for cancer?:o

I've already stated the strange connection between the vault and the biggest earthquake ever in that part of the world... leading to other biggest earthquakes ever in other parts of the world (both Ireland and England). I think there's a chance that the vault is being used or being used to cover up something else.

Anyway I was hoping to have some fun with this thread :( hoping others might come in with other suspicious stuff or stuff THEY consider suspicious. But I don't see anyone else having fun with it???????:o

toiletduck wrote: »
    Well to be blunt, I'm not surprised. You haven't looked into it, don't know much about science and referring to it as the "big bang thing" is inaccurate and sensationalist to say the least.

Edit: It's not a "big bang" thing, it's a particle accelerator. It will (hopefully) demonstrate the existence (or lack thereof) of some theorised particles (higg bosons) and some other ideas. Particle accelerators are nothing new. This is just the most powerful built to date.

I HAVE looked into it... and I've had people explain it to me but, for me, it still doesn't add up. Sensationalist????? :p

• Advertisement

:D thanks... I think!

I'm perfectly willing to hear any evidence... people seem to take the big bang one quite personally for some reason :o I've gotten into a few heated drunken debates over that one :D and the Aussie one I'm willing to leave... but can we discuss the Norwegian one? It does seem a bit suspect that a lot of weird earthquakes (even take the Melbourne ones this year... following the one in Svalbard) seem to be traceable back to this small island... which never had a significant earthquake before this vault started operating :o

I don't think you have looked into the LHC properly.
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4109 Maybe you should start here.

Can you tell us exactly what doesn't add up about it?

I don't think you have looked into the LHC properly.
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4109 Maybe you should start here.

Can you tell us exactly what doesn't add up about it?

so a retired nuclear safety officer filed a lawsuit???:confused:

If you're expecting me to say I believe it will be the cause of the end of the world :D you're wasting your time cos I don't believe that... in fact, I simply don't believe any of it. I do understand the official story of what it's supposed to do... I just don't readily accept everything I'm told. I'm sure the whole science of it adds up but how do you KNOW what's going on down there?

so a retired nuclear safety officer filed a lawsuit???:confused:

If you're expecting me to say I believe it will be the cause of the end of the world :D you're wasting your time cos I don't believe that... in fact, I simply don't believe any of it. I do understand the official story of what it's supposed to do... I just don't readily accept everything I'm told. I'm sure the whole science of it adds up but how do you KNOW what's going on down there?

Because there is pictures among other things, including the scientific research that already goes on at CERN.
    Why do you believe there is something sinister going on?

Because there is pictures among other things, including the scientific research that already goes on at CERN.
    Why do you believe there is something sinister going on?

That's the same as me asking you 'why do you believe there isn't?'. You may deny that but it's in my nature to be suspicious and not automatically believe everything I'm told. You do and that's good for you... we're just different people with different ideas on stuff.

• Advertisement

That's the same as me asking you 'why do you believe there isn't?'. You may deny that but it's in my nature to be suspicious and not automatically believe everything I'm told. You do and that's good for you... we're just different people with different ideas on stuff.

Yes that's right I believe everything I'm told, that why I keep asking people for solid evidence.

The difference is I can back up my position with evidence. Your position is based solely on "I see conspiracies everywhere." or as you put it "be suspicious and not automatically believe everything I'm told."
    You can see the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

than finding a cure for cancer?:o
    Indeed , a cure for cancer that vested interests can make money from , if there is a cure for cancer i do not think you are going to hear about it from the controlled media , unless there is huge money in it for big pharma !

Yes that's right I believe everything I'm told, that why I keep asking people for solid evidence.

The difference is I can back up my position with evidence. Your position is based solely on "I see conspiracies everywhere." or as you put it "be suspicious and not automatically believe everything I'm told."
    You can see the difference.

what evidence? A picture? I could probably do something better on photoshop myself... and I can't even use the bloody thing:D

I think it's a good thing to question motives behind stuff... I mean splitting the atom was a great thing and then they went on to make the atom bomb...brilliant! Look at American military bases all over Europe that have been used for rendition or to point missiles at Russia. What starts off with good intentions doesn't always end that way... and I'm not convinced that many of these things start with good intentions anyway.

espinolman wrote: »
    Indeed , a cure for cancer that vested interests can make money from , if there is a cure for cancer i do not think you are going to hear about it from the controlled media , unless there is huge money in it for big pharma !

sadly too true! Look at all these diseases that pop up every now and then and threaten to end humanity... SARS, etc. I've a feeling that one of these days it will actually be much worse... something that we will ALL have to buy a vaccination for :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

espinolman wrote: »
    Well, in fairness, pharmaceutical companies, in fact all companies, are in it for the money. The government could spend billions on research, but it's better to let the professionals handle it and take the expenses hit. It makes sense. The government would be shooting themselves in the foot if they tried doing this all themselves, especially when there are no guaranteed results.

Also, there are many cures for cancers, it just depends on the type and the severity. Just a couple of months ago the Irish branch of a major US pharmaceutical company made a major break through. And it was on the news, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I HAVE looked into it... and I've had people explain it to me but, for me, it still doesn't add up. Sensationalist????? :p

Yes all the cries along the lines of end of the world (not from you) were sensationalist.
    An international group build a big underground collection of tunnels costing millions.. for a science experiment? An experiment which I've yet had somebody adequately explain to me... so it's recreating the conditions directly after the big bang... how is that more important than finding a cure for cancer? :o

That's a loaded question. We don't pour all scientific research into curing diseases quite rightly. I'd suggest checking out the Horizon special on it, "The Six Billion Dollar Experiment"

So it doesn't add up to you... Great. Who's in on it by and by do you reckon?

toiletduck wrote: »
    Yes all the cries along the lines of end of the world (not from you) were sensationalist.

That's a loaded question. We don't pour all scientific research into curing diseases quite rightly. I'd suggest checking out the Horizon special on it, "The Six Billion Dollar Experiment"

So it doesn't add up to you... Great. Who's in on it by and by do you reckon?

:rolleyes: have you read my first post? I'm going to stop explaining what I was getting at... and maybe somebody else will join in... and understand what's going on... cos the majority of you don't seem to get it. If I knew or thought I knew who's in on it, I probably would have said that in the first three pages. The purpose of this thread is not facts or even necessarily opinions but possibilities or something that doesn't seem right. It was supposed to be fun :o I'm not having fun!:p

I'll have another beer... maybe that will help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

An international group build a big underground collection of tunnels costing millions.. for a science experiment? An experiment which I've yet had somebody adequately explain to me... so it's recreating the conditions directly after the big bang... how is that more important than finding a cure for cancer?:o

Human nature is hard-wired to explore and discover, we can't avoid it. As far as it costing billions and the suggestion that this is wasted is ironically wide of the mark. Afterall this World Wide Web thing you're on is just a mere side effect of exactly this kind of research. It enhances efforts in finding a cancer cure and generates economic wealth far in excess of its cost.

Well, in fairness, pharmaceutical companies, in fact all companies, are in it for the money. The government could spend billions on research, but it's better to let the professionals handle it and take the expenses hit. It makes sense. The government would be shooting themselves in the foot if they tried doing this all themselves, especially when there are no guaranteed results.

Also, there are many cures for cancers, it just depends on the type and the severity. Just a couple of months ago the Irish branch of a major US pharmaceutical company made a major break through. And it was on the news, too.

Ah jaysus, can you imagine the government being put in charge of finding a cure for ANYTHING??? Even if it was just the common cold :D They'd pump 5 billion into it and then recommend taking an aspirin or something... except Enda Kenny would of course refute that and say we should only take lemsip... that it's immature and nonsensical of the government to be recommending aspirin :rolleyes: it would go on for years.

tricky D wrote: »
    Human nature is hard-wired to explore and discover, we can't avoid it. As far as it costing millions and the suggestion that this is wasted is ironically wide of the mark. Afterall this World Wide Web thing you're on is just a mere side effect of exactly this kind of research. It enhances efforts in finding a cancer cure and generates economic wealth far in excess of its cost.

How does this collider do that? I've seen people come up with all kinds of stuff it will do but nobody seems to know how or why.

• Advertisement
Advertisement