Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper way to colour Japanese style?

• 03-04-2009 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭

OK, I've just started to get my Japanese sleeve coloured in, and I have a question about the right way to do it, as I'm not sure I'm happy with the approach that is being taken. I have a variety of flowers, cherry blossoms look great, there's a lotus which we haven't started, and a chrysanthemum.

Should the chrysanthemum petals / underneath be filled in completely to the line, or should there just be a suggestion of colour, i.e. a central blob? The latter method is being used on mine and it doesn't look so good up close, but looks OK from far away. I've also seen pics on the web where the colour is right up to the line and it looks much better. I've attached a pic so you can see where we've gotten to (even in this picture it looks like the colour fills the entire petal but it doesn't). Its only started so I'm not sure how its going to end up, but I'm wondering what the opinion is on this point?

The only reason I'm thinking to do it this way is when the tattoo starts to blend the colour will fit into the spot.

Also, if I'm not happy with the colour of the green leaves, can a darker colour go over a lighter colour? Or would that just end up with a mess?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

The tattoo looks sweet to me but if you're not 100% happy with how its coloured speak to the artist, I wouldn't worry so much about whats proper compared to what I'm happiest with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Most of the ones that I have seen have colour in the middle, fading nearer the edges.

The green leaves on the bicep in the photo you attached look a little like I am describing.

[edit]
    What Diceicle said should over-rule what's "usually" done. Its your tattoo, you want to be happy with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Annie Bananie

The "blob" way as you describe it, looks awesome to me, I really like it! I think its very common not to fill it all the way to the edge, but its all up to you and what you are happy with.

Personally I would wait until the whole sleeve is done to fill it to the edge if I wasnt sure. There is gonna be a lot of colors on your arm, so it can be quite nice with some light areas to make it more 3d and to stand out more.

However, there can be nice ways to do the "blobs" and there can be bad ways. IE the artist may not do such a good job on it, if you know what I mean. "Blobs" may not be his strong side. If you do not like them, you should definitely tell the artist and have a discussion about it to see how you can improve the looks of it. The artist will most likely want you to be happy with your tattoo and will do whatever he/she can to make that happen. He/she also has a reputation to keep up, so give feedback, good or bad, is deffo something he/she would like to have.

Its your tattoo and you are gonna live with it and on top you are paying for it. You deside.

Good luck and again, I think it looks really nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

i have cherry blossoms on my ribs, they're coloured in using pinks and oranges. i didn't want them coloured with block colours as i didn't think it would suit the style; my orange ones are bright orange in the centre, and the petals are then filled out with yellow, the same as with my pink ones, dark pink in the centre fading out to light pink.

i wouldn't leave the edges uncoloured nor would a i get them filled in with just dark, i think you should go for a light and dark version of the same/complementing colours and use that!

my cherry blossoms

Advertisement