Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Bog on the Blink! Float Valve

Options
  • 03-04-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All,
    So my grans house has a very old yellow toilet and I've just discovered that is dripping out the overflow and has been for some time. Now it took me an hour to get the old copper float valve and arm off but eventually it gave way. the inner washers all worn.

Off I popped to woodies, got the last plastic float valve and arm and now I'm stumped...as the new unit is plastic how the hell do I attach it the in-flow water pipe??!! It seem to have an old elbow shape copper joint on it before it enters the cistern and I'm wondering if I'm gonna have to hack the is off and put a new fitting on the water pipe as well to fit the new plastic float valve?

No camera here so no pictures at mo.

any help would be gratefully recieved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

blackeyes wrote: »
    Hi All,
    So my grans house has a very old yellow toilet and I've just discovered that is dripping out the overflow and has been for some time. Now it took me an hour to get the old copper float valve and arm off but eventually it gave way. the inner washers all worn.

Off I popped to woodies, got the last plastic float valve and arm and now I'm stumped...as the new unit is plastic how the hell do I attach it the in-flow water pipe??!! It seem to have an old elbow shape copper joint on it before it enters the cistern and I'm wondering if I'm gonna have to hack the is off and put a new fitting on the water pipe as well to fit the new plastic float valve?

No camera here so no pictures at mo.

any help would be gratefully recieved.

Would it not be simpler to just renew the washers? You can buy them in packs of a range of sizes in DIY stores, and once you have the valve apart it takes seconds to change one.

Advertisement